Diversity Essay Topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam101101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an ORM and am struggling to think of a diversity essay topic. These are some ideas I came up with:

1. I am a tutor and a surgical coordinator, both of which involve helping people through vulnerable times. I provide my students with comfort that their struggles are valid, and help them practice to gain confidence. Similarly, I comfort patients that their fears of surgery are valid, and give them confidence by explaining the procedure and details. I hope to continue helping people through vulnerable times as a physician by providing reassurance and explanations of treatment. Is this too much of a broad concept, like duh everyone would like to help people through vulnerable times?

2. When my family first immigrated to the US, they specifically looked for doctors and dentists of our ethnicity since they trusted them more. It took some time for them to build trust with doctors of other races. I have done some volunteer work with an underserved community who shared similar sentiments, and it showed me the importance of diversity in medicine. However, I am an ORM, and don't speak any language besides English, so idk how in the future I will be useful in reaching out to these underserved populations?

Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

1. I am a tutor and a surgical coordinator, both of which involve helping people through vulnerable times. I provide my students with comfort that their struggles are valid, and help them practice to gain confidence. Similarly, I comfort patients that their fears of surgery are valid, and give them confidence by explaining the procedure and details. I hope to continue helping people through vulnerable times as a physician by providing reassurance and explanations of treatment. Is this too much of a broad concept, like duh everyone would like to help people through vulnerable times?
What exactly is the diversity here? That you are empathetic and helpful? This is not impactful enough to write an essay on.
2. When my family first immigrated to the US, they specifically looked for doctors and dentists of our ethnicity since they trusted them more. It took some time for them to build trust with doctors of other races. I have done some volunteer work with an underserved community who shared similar sentiments, and it showed me the importance of diversity in medicine. However, I am an ORM, and don't speak any language besides English, so idk how in the future I will be useful in reaching out to these underserved populations?
Bad topic due to your background and lack of linguistic diversity. Also would not consider mentioning your parents' racial biases. You are ORM not URM and this can be seen as discrimination and distrust among URM physicians.

Reactions: 1 user