Diversity Secondaries Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karasu

からす
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this here since maybe others are struggling with the stupid diversity questions that these schools are asking for too. It's gotten to the point where I can only answer them from a place of pure rage.

I'm a Caribbean immigrant, I've lived in the US since the age of five; NY resident. My primary application is filled with information like me being an immigrant, my parents only finishing HS, me being the first to go to college, and working for a year in automotive repair. All things that make me "unique" and give me a "different perspective."

So, when I see an added question that implies "the $hit you've written isn't enough, tell us more" I get angry. Seriously, what do these people want from me? I've asked friends for help, but everything I come up with gets shot down, because they fear I might anger the all power and wealthy admission gods that don't want to hear another person complain about being disadvantaged.

How are/have the rest of you guys approached this question? Is my anger unjustified?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a lot to talk about and I've spoken about many of these things

1) I could talk about being LGBT - but that is in my statement
2) Being SES - which is in an essay
3) having a disability - I really don't talk about that much since it's well controlled and most of the time you are not going to notice it
4) being homeless - actually was not anywhere
5) Work and other really weird ECs - but all those are in my ECs.
6) Racial issues - which I've never spoken about although I might next time.
7) religious minority in the south - but that is also obvious on my AMCAS
8) going to yeshiva
9) doing international travel, having visited 46/50 states
10) having converted to a religion/having been adopted by a new culture... the new culture thing is several times over. I have cultures fighting over me.

I hate the diversity essay as if I am not careful I look really scary. It's more like in what way am I normal, not unusual.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!

I did take a cool trip out the country for a month, maybe I'll use that.

Last edited:
Hello to my future cohort (hopefully),

Here is a link to my blog and diversity essay. I had 5 interviews, 8 invites, I will start next month. Now that I'm less in fear of someone plagiarizing my stuff here you:

AMCAS II Ex. 2 — Diversity Essay http://wp.me/p3Fsz9-1WC

I'll post a few more as time goes on, good luck! As someone mentioned, race isn't the only form of diversity.

Reactions: 1 user