Diversity Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruskie_77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was reading through some threads about the diversity statement and I was thinking about two ideas which I'm not sure fall under the diversity statement. I'm also looking for suggestions as to which is the most compelling and any $0.02.

1) I had the rare privilege to learn about and provide advice to my friend who was diagnosed with a rare case of fast metastasizing cancer that threatened to end his life. However, he was reluctant about receiving treatment and me telling anyone else as he didn't want anyone else to know about the potential burden (even family). To make the circumstances more cumbersome we had a close group of friends at school and so this was a very difficult thing to withhold. Additionally, during this process I had to end treatment for my grandma which really changed how I approached talking with him about his cancer and approaching treatment. I felt this was a unique experience considering the circumstances that may quality as a diverse experience.

2) As part of a service project with my small group (Christen Co-op) we gathered food for a homeless man that our small group leader got to know. When we found him we wanted to give him his food so we could get back to watching an important NBA playoff game. But he wouldn't accept. So, we sat down with him and got to know him. During the visit he happened to be listening to the game on the radio so that was definitely an interesting coincidence but taught me the value of being patient. By the end of the visit he accepted our food and I learned an important lesson in human dignity.

Thanks for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I had to pick one, I'd go with the second one as it seems a bit more clear to me. Not sure what youre trying to say with the first one...

Members don't see this ad :)
I cringed at the second. The first felt opportunistic. You can do better.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the clarification everyone. I thought these circumstances were a possible stretch.

@nverqrui : Patient is the adjective not the noun. I selected dignity because I felt he wanted to be acknowledged with a kind of respect that acknowledged him as more than a beggar with the need to be recognized rather than commonly ignored by people that pass him by without acknowledging his existence. I hope that clarifies things and makes sense.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I thought these circumstances were a possible stretch.

@nverqrui : Patient is the adjective not the noun. I selected dignity because I felt he wanted to be acknowledged with a kind of respect that acknowledged him as more than a beggar with the need to be recognized rather than commonly ignored by people that pass him by without acknowledging his existence. I hope that clarifies things and makes sense.

I think the reason people dislike the second one is more that it gives the impression that you're saying, "Hey, when you think about it, homeless people are people too" which is a pretty cliche'd realization. I don't think that shows diversity because everyone who isn't a monster should have realized that at one point or another. Treating all people with dignity doesn't mean you're bringing a new perspective because it's expected of everyone.

Think of something more personal rather than external circumstances

@NotASerialKiller: I totally agree it's something that should be cliche but many of us react with a first judgment to just walk on by and mind out own business. Otherwise we would see it probably occurr more often than it actually does.

@Glazedonutlove : Thanks for the feedback. This is a challenging topic because I've grown up and lived in a primarily Caucasian area. I trained and was involved for a short time in cycleocross racing (but that sounds pretty abysmal). Besides that I've been involved in a soup kitchen/breakfast feed (about 6 years) serving primarily minorities (this is personal because I grew up in a low income family) and been involved in a Co-op (similar to Fraternity). At some point this year I will be going on a medical/mission trip (as I'm applying next cycle).

UMMMM hello, write about SES since you grew up in a low-income family! Students of low SES are pretty underrep in medicine, and you can tie it into wanting to serve that population as a physician. Voila.

Reactions: 1 user
@NotASerialKiller: I totally agree it's something that should be cliche but many of us react with a first judgment to just walk on by and mind out own business. Otherwise we would see it probably occurr more often than it actually does.

@Glazedonutlove : Thanks for the feedback. This is a challenging topic because I've grown up and lived in a primarily Caucasian area. I trained and was involved for a short time in cycleocross racing (but that sounds pretty abysmal). Besides that I've been involved in a soup kitchen/breakfast feed (about 6 years) serving primarily minorities (this is personal because I grew up in a low income family) and been involved in a Co-op (similar to Fraternity). At some point this year I will be going on a medical/mission trip (as I'm applying next cycle).

You're plugging this diversity thing too literally, it's a little more of a what makes you stand out and the lessons you bring to the class rather than a cultural competence test.

UMMMM hello, write about SES since you grew up in a low-income family! Students of low SES are pretty underrep in medicine, and you can tie it into wanting to serve that population as a physician. Voila.
Was just about to post this

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, what do you mean by "wear out your presence"?

They are asking you to discuss what makes you different or drives your desire to practice medicine. Bringing it up is in no way whining or being too reliant. It's an important, underrepresented quality and it's important to have physicians who not only practice in low-income areas but also understand the unique needs of that population. Go for it and don't look back. It's a million times better than your #whitepeopleproblems alternative options you suggested.

Also, if you need someone with a social justice background to look it over to make sure it's accomplishing what you want to accomplish, please feel free to PM it to me.

Also, if you need someone with a social justice background to look it over to make sure it's accomplishing what you want to accomplish, please feel free to PM it to me.

Any chance I could take you up on this as well? I stepped away from my diversity essay for a few days and on re-reading it I cringed like 8 times.

Oh for sure! Go ahead and send it. My major was in women's studies and my diversity essay was all about that. Feel free to send it whenever!

@femmegoblue Thanks for that. I'll get working on it and send it your way when I'm done. I really appreciate it.

#1 is more common than you may think; go with #2

Hi All,

I was reading through some threads about the diversity statement and I was thinking about two ideas which I'm not sure fall under the diversity statement. I'm also looking for suggestions as to which is the most compelling and any $0.02.

1) I had the rare privilege to learn about and provide advice to my friend who was diagnosed with a rare case of fast metastasizing cancer that threatened to end his life. However, he was reluctant about receiving treatment and me telling anyone else as he didn't want anyone else to know about the potential burden (even family). To make the circumstances more cumbersome we had a close group of friends at school and so this was a very difficult thing to withhold. Additionally, during this process I had to end treatment for my grandma which really changed how I approached talking with him about his cancer and approaching treatment. I felt this was a unique experience considering the circumstances that may quality as a diverse experience.

2) As part of a service project with my small group (Christen Co-op) we gathered food for a homeless man that our small group leader got to know. When we found him we wanted to give him his food so we could get back to watching an important NBA playoff game. But he wouldn't accept. So, we sat down with him and got to know him. During the visit he happened to be listening to the game on the radio so that was definitely an interesting coincidence but taught me the value of being patient. By the end of the visit he accepted our food and I learned an important lesson in human dignity.

Thanks for your time and help!

@Goro Thanks! After discussion I decided to go with growing up in a low SES family and maybe reflections on my motivation from time working at a soup kitchen because the two above weren't that great.

Reactions: 1 users
You probably got a lot of people asking you to read their essays since you posted this. and im one of them,
I come from SES background, but my prompt mentioned SES, culture, race, etc.. so i fell like mine is kinda jumbled. I'll PM it to you, and maybe you can give me some advice?