Diving in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone scuba dives? If so, how's the diving along the east coast of Ireland?

Cheers,
Jocks

Members don't see this ad.

I scuba dive... funny story....

Around Christmas time I was scuba diving with a dive shop in the Caribbean and I was paired up with an Irish guy from Dublin (total coincidence). When I told him there was a remote possibility (now THE possibility) that I'd be living in Dublin he told me to get in touch to do some diving. I miiight do that, but it's got to be freeeeaking cold there.

Anyways, diving's alive an well over there. Apparently it's quite nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
maillot jaune said:
I scuba dive... funny story....

Around Christmas time I was scuba diving with a dive shop in the Caribbean and I was paired up with an Irish guy from Dublin (total coincidence). When I told him there was a remote possibility (now THE possibility) that I'd be living in Dublin he told me to get in touch to do some diving. I miiight do that, but it's got to be freeeeaking cold there.

Actually, the waters off of Ireland are quite warm due to the Gulf Stream - the same reason why they have a nice climate instead of being on a par with northern Newfoundland and Labrador, whom they share latitude with. If you check it out on a map, if they didn't have the gulf stream there would be lots of snow and cold weather instead of the rain and mild conditions they enjoy. Cheers,
M

Jocks said:
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone scuba dives? If so, how's the diving along the east coast of Ireland?

Cheers,
Jocks

Hey, there are loads of diving going on in Ireland. There are a few old wrecks outside of Dublin, but the good diving is mainly on the west coast - Galway is only 3-4 hours away! I know UCD has a very active diving club, not sure about the other universities. Expect rough weather and loads of cancelled dives though :)