Jun 4, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all. New to SDN - hope you are all staying safe. I am wondering whether to apply to a formal post-bacc program or a DIY program. I graduated from Ivy League college in 2019 and because I was a neuroscience major I took gen chem, gen bio, calculus, and stat. I was originally pre-med and had to stop at the end of sophomore year due to mental health reasons, but now I'm back on the bandwagon. Since I only have orgo 1/2, biochem, and physics 1/2 to take, I was wondering whether to apply to a formal post-bacc program (e.g. Columbia, NYU, Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Penn, JHU), or just enroll at a local school as a non-degree seeking student. I've heard not so great things about Columbia...

I want to get things done in a year so I can get back on track. I like the idea of linkages through the formal post bacc programs, but I know it's not always successful so would be okay taking a glide year (of course I would prefer to go straight through). Also need to keep in mind that I took math in 2015, and bio and chem the year of 2016-2017, and I know some med schools want classes within the last 5 years.

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.93, science GPA of 3.95. Did one summer of research in college, but nothing else since. Currently work for a healthcare consulting firm. Have not done any volunteering either.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
  1. Attending Physician
A DIY post-bacc at a local college is fine to complete your prerequisites. You should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing and 200+ hours of clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact. Of course, you also need to score well on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads