DIY post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tomazeekyn2874

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, need a little advice on a DIY post-bacc.
I graduated this past spring with a health related degree (exercise science), but did not take the science pre req courses in undergrad. I start a job as a PCT in a med/surg unit soon, so i will be gaining plenty of clinical/patient care hours. I graduated with a 3.71 and was an athlete, so my extra curriculurs through undergrad should be strong. My question comes down to if it is feasible to take bio 1&2 and physics 1&2 at a community college, and then take all the chems at a 4 year school? I looked at formal post-bacc programs but the class schedules did not fit with my work schedule. Is there any issue with having credits from my undergrad school, a community college, and a different 4 year school?
 
My question comes down to if it is feasible to take bio 1&2 and physics 1&2 at a community college, and then take all the chems at a 4 year school? I looked at formal post-bacc programs but the class schedules did not fit with my work schedule. Is there any issue with having credits from my undergrad school, a community college, and a different 4 year school?

Technically there is no issue with this, but your mileage will vary with each school. I would call at least three programs and speak with someone in admissions to ask whether or not they would consider you a competitive applicant if you took those classes at a community college. If your top programs think it's fine, then go for it. If not, maybe amending the work schedule will be the better option.

In terms of later on in your application cycle if this question were to arise from an interviewer, point out the fact that you handled full course loads while balancing the demands of an athlete, plus your other roles. Furthermore, you pursued your postbacc while gainfully employed and the community college's schedule aligned best with your work schedule.

Good luck!