DIY postbacc in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sltho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All

I am graduating from UG this May with a sub 3.0 gpa. I am planning to use the next year (fall and spring semester, maybe even summer) to retake Orgo 1, 2 and Biochemistry. I am in the NYC region and looking into the CUNY schools becasue they allow non-students to take whichever courses they want. I was wondering if any private institutions did the same. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
i'm also doing a postbacc in NYC- but I thought i'd mention that I'm doing mine @ Hunter College. It can be frustrating soemtimes (largely b/c the school is underfunded so there are never enough classes) but for the price yo cannot beat it. I did my undergrad @ NYU and so far my 3 years of postbacc work still doesn't even come close to the price of 1 semester of tuition for NYU.

I have found the postbacc community @ Hunter is friendly and helpful, too.
I don't know if it's the same with daytime classes but every evening class I have taken at hunter has been chock full of postbaccs (it's nice to know that I'm not the only person older than 18, besides the prof.) Most of the pre-req classes are offered at night so if yo uhave or want a daytime job- you should be able to do both. I have a fulltime job and go to school at night so far the only pre-req I can't get to fit in my sched is Microbio...

The courses themselves are very challenging but not impossible to do well in. Hunter has solid math & science depts. and I do feel like i've learned a lot here. I still have at least 2 more years of postbacc work to go but I'm looking forward to it!

good luck, wherever you decide to go!

Hey Littleinky!

Thanks for the post! That's amazing how cheap tuition is compared to the tution at NYU! Awesome! I was thinking of doing the three courses at either Hunter or Queens, so that's going to save me some money.

I have found the course catalogues for both schools but wasn't able to find a schedule for the courses I need. Where should I find the information? Also, is there an admissions process for non-traditional students? Is it just signing up for the classses and then paying, and receiving credit?

Thanks so much! Good luck with your studies!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, great information for us NYC post-baccs! I have been researching these options heavily as well, and completely agree with the notion to DIY at Hunter. No one has mentioned City College (CUNY) though...LittleInky, did you look there as well or only Hunter?

Glad to hear about the other post-baccs being in the night classes. For some reason, that was on my mind, being the oldest one in the class with 18 year olds :) and know I personally would be more comfortable with just a few ppl in my situation there as well.

Thanks for the tip about second degree versus non-matric...I applied second degree at City College, but just non-degree at Hunter, and am planning to take two courses at Hunter and register on the 15th, regardless of staying with Hunter or being accepted into one of the more formal programs.

Gald to hear about these stories, thanks!

Wow, great information for us NYC post-baccs! I have been researching these options heavily as well, and completely agree with the notion to DIY at Hunter. No one has mentioned City College (CUNY) though...LittleInky, did you look there as well or only Hunter?

Glad to hear about the other post-baccs being in the night classes. For some reason, that was on my mind, being the oldest one in the class with 18 year olds :) and know I personally would be more comfortable with just a few ppl in my situation there as well.

Thanks for the tip about second degree versus non-matric...I applied second degree at City College, but just non-degree at Hunter, and am planning to take two courses at Hunter and register on the 15th, regardless of staying with Hunter or being accepted into one of the more formal programs.

Gald to hear about these stories, thanks!
i was wondering what you were talking about! it all makes sense after reading the postbacc in nyc thread.

why dont we keep everything on the other thread just for convenience~