DLSU HSC 2008 anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironhide

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this school?

Members don't see this ad.

it's actually a nice school considering that it is far from the hussles of manila, at the same time not too distant from the city (not to mention a 30-minute travel to tagaytay every now and then).

in terms of academics, they are also using OSI (organ system integrated) curriculum, very much like those of UPCM and other schools (since it is a new trend now).:D

What are your thoughts on this school?

Go visit the campus ironhide, i heard the campus is really beautiful and the education is good too.. plus they have neat dormitories which is very student friendly.. a good environment for studying:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from DLSU HSC. The main advantage for me was the fact that the school is outside of Metro Manila where there could be so many distractions and noise. The distance could help you concentrate more on your studies plus if you stay in one of the many dorms, school is just 5 minutes away (which could be very much to your advantage come clerkship).

So you've decided to pursue med school then Ironhide?
Goodluck to you :)

I graduated from DLSU HSC. The main advantage for me was the fact that the school is outside of Metro Manila where there could be so many distractions and noise. The distance could help you concentrate more on your studies plus if you stay in one of the many dorms, school is just 5 minutes away (which could be very much to your advantage come clerkship).

So you've decided to pursue med school then Ironhide?
Goodluck to you :)

hello xthine!! how many years have u taken ur med proper? i heard it's actually shorter in dlsu hsc... do they require u to have ur residency there?

^^Actually, pre med is shorter if you take it in DLSU- Taft because of the trimestral system. Med proper is still 4 years though in DLSU-HSC in Cavite.
DLSU Taft has a Human Biology program where you take 1 or 2 years of pre med and then go straight to 4 years of med school. I am not sure about this though..forgot the details sorry. :)
Graduates are not obligated to practice residency at DLSU HSC after graduation.

^^Actually, pre med is shorter if you take it in DLSU- Taft because of the trimestral system. Med proper is still 4 years though in DLSU-HSC in Cavite.
DLSU Taft has a Human Biology program where you take 1 or 2 years of pre med and then go straight to 4 years of med school. I am not sure about this though..forgot the details sorry. :)
Graduates are not obligated to practice residency at DLSU HSC after graduation.

thanks for the reply xthine!!!!

hi xthine, sorry to bug you with some random questions:
* how many fil-ams/foreigners do you have in your class?
* do you know how old the older person in your class is?
* what percentage of the students are preparing to go to the US and do their residencies there?

thanks! :)

^^You're most welcome whitequote :)

@Kerki: It has been 5 years since I graduated from med school so I will try my best to answer your questions.

how many fil-ams/foreigners do you have in your class? - Roughly about 20 out of 150.

do you know how old the older person in your class is? - Oh boy. I cannot remember how old exactly the guy was but I think he was in his mid to late 30s that time? He already had a PhD by the time he entered med school at the HSC.

what percentage of the students are preparing to go to the US and do their residencies there? -
I do not have an exact percentage but I would say more than 25% from my class eventually left for US residency training..most of them were from the Human Biology program.

Hope the answers helped..sorry for the not being too specific :)

hi xthine, sorry to bug you with some random questions:
* how many fil-ams/foreigners do you have in your class?
* do you know how old the older person in your class is?
* what percentage of the students are preparing to go to the US and do their residencies there?

thanks! :)

just thought i'd put in my two cents =)

i am currently a first year student at dls-hsc and there are 9 Fil-Ams, and about 3 other foreigners from a class of 170.

The oldest person in our class is one of us Fil-Ams at 34 years old.

I know for sure that the Fil-Ams are preparing to go back to the states for their residencies. As for the locals, there are a few that want to go to the states, but I think that the majority want to stay in the Philippines.

i am dual citizen and i want to go to dlsu hsc
i will be considered a filipino student in that matter right?

i am dual citizen and i want to go to dlsu hsc
i will be considered a filipino student in that matter right?
Only dlsu-hsc will give you a waiver from the foreign fee if you are a dual citizen. Most schools will still charge you a foreign fee regardless of dual citizenship unless you did your pre-med in the Philippines.

oh this really woke up my being obsessive compulsive... i went ahead and called around DFA and BOI and checked on their websites as well...

that's not what is says on the new law RA 9225 REACQUISITION OF FILIPINO CITIZENSHIP that just took effect on September 23, 2003 when one reacquires filipino citizenship one can exercise suffrage or the right to vote, can run for public office, can practice his/ her profession with relevant required license...how much more the right to education?

one is issued a philippine passport even...

so does this mean that medical schools who would charge filipinos with reacquired citizenships bearer of philippine passports would be violating the RA 9225... moreso a violation of an individual's right to education

coz as far as i recall the a phil. dfa official even mentioned during the oath taking ceremony in Tampa FL USA... one can indeed come over to the philippines and under RA 9225 go to school here as FILIPINO

correct me if i'm wrong but this is how i understood it...

http://www.gov.ph/faqs/dualcitizenship.asp

Members don't see this ad :)
perhaps i can be wrong but...

the way i understood things... RA9225 in a nutshell embraces the ideal 'once a filipino, always a filipino' in the most legal manner.

hence without PREJUDICE to FIL-AMS going to philippine medical schools.

... i wish the phil president could make a public speech on this matter in support of the rights of the 'new filipino-americans' with focus on fil-am student doctors.

just thought i'd put in my two cents =)

i am currently a first year student at dls-hsc and there are 9 Fil-Ams, and about 3 other foreigners from a class of 170.

The oldest person in our class is one of us Fil-Ams at 34 years old.

I know for sure that the Fil-Ams are preparing to go back to the states for their residencies. As for the locals, there are a few that want to go to the states, but I think that the majority want to stay in the Philippines.
Thanks xthine and FutureMDDude. I was asking these questions because I turned 30 this year and wasn't sure if I would feel out of place going to med school. I'm actually experiencing an early mid-life crisis. I'm a Fil-Am and have been working as an IT consultant for a while now (10 years), but it's just not fulfilling. I'm sure med school isn't going to be a walk in the park, but I would like to explore and see if it suits me.

perhaps I can be wrong but...

the way I understood things... RA9225 in a nutshell embraces the ideal 'once a filipino, always a filipino' in the most legal manner.

hence without PREJUDICE to FIL-AMS going to philippine medical schools.

... I wish the phil president could make a public speech on this matter in support of the rights of the 'new filipino-americans' with focus to fil-am student doctors.
endograsper, you sure you wanna go to med school? sounds like you'd have more fun unleashing your OC in law school :p

Only dlsu-hsc will give you a waiver from the foreign fee if you are a dual citizen. Most schools will still charge you a foreign fee regardless of dual citizenship unless you did your pre-med in the Philippines.

i think my premed from phils or not... should be beside the point.
it has nothing to do with one's category as FILIPINO or FOREIGN student doctor...

if they charge foreign fees to a fil-am who is covered by RA 9225 (meaning one who retained his/her filipino citizenship by re-acquisition by either being native born himself/herself or by virtue of jus soli and jus sanguinis)... doesn't that totally just do the opposite of what RA 9225 is all about?

i would like to be enlightened on this matter

endograsper, you sure you wanna go to med school? sounds like you'd have more fun unleashing your OC in law school :p

hahaha... oh watch me assist in the operating room you wont think that anymore

it has nothing to do with one's category as FILIPINO or FOREIGN student doctor...

if they charge foreign fees to a fil-am who is covered by RA 9225 (meaning one who retained his/her filipino citizenship by re-acquisition by either being native born himself/herself or by virtue of jus soli and jus sanguinis)... doesn't that totally just do the opposite of what RA 9225 is all about?

Dude, I'm not arguing with you. But try arguing with UST. Believe me, a lot tried to argue your point but it's useless and futile, they will still consider you as "foreign" as long as you had you pre-med outside the Phil. Speaking about Philippine justice and bringing this to court, GOOD LUCK with that! With so many crooks there running free I doubt if it would prosper or you might win after 10 years.

Thanks xthine and FutureMDDude. I was asking these questions because I turned 30 this year and wasn't sure if I would feel out of place going to med school. I'm actually experiencing an early mid-life crisis. I'm a Fil-Am and have been working as an IT consultant for a while now (10 years), but it's just not fulfilling. I'm sure med school isn't going to be a walk in the park, but I would like to explore and see if it suits me.

You are most welcome Kerki. Do not let your age stop you from pursuing what you want..I say go for it! Heck.. i turned 30 this year and i am just about to enter residency here in the Philippines. I am practically a fossil among the fresh grads but I wont let that get in my way.
Bottomline is, better to take a shot at what you have the passion for rather than live in regret and 'what ifs'.

Goodluck :)

hello kerki!!! i understand how u feel.. but as someone told me.. would you rather be old and fulfilled or old but wondering what could have been if you've just pursue your dreams?? good luck!!! It's never too late... for as long as you are not yet 35 and financially sound.. y not?

Hahaha...we are all just as outraged as you. A law is just a law until it is interpreted in court. And good luck to the poor applicant who decides to challenge UST's interpretation in a court.

This is a good time to point out that students need to think very carefully before the enter into a business arrangement (sorry, I mean apply for admission) to a Filipino medical school. The Philippines does not have a legal system (an effective one, anyway). If at any time you get into a serious disagreement with the school, you will come out the loser 99.99% of the time.

Remember RA 9225 was passed to try and attract balikbayan investments back to the country. It wasn't done out of a desire to re-unite the Filipino diaspora. Likewise these "foreign" fees are a cash cow.

Think carefully before paying up-front for these fees and ask yourself what you are getting for this extra payment. If you are still happy, fine, sign up and attend class. But make a conscious decision, and understand your legal standing.

i never mentioned challenging ust's stand... where is this coming from?

Dude, I'm not arguing with you. But try arguing with UST. Believe me, a lot tried to argue your point but it's useless and futile, they will still consider you as "foreign" as long as you had you pre-med outside the Phil. Speaking about Philippine justice and bringing this to court, GOOD LUCK with that! With so many crooks there running free I doubt if it would prosper or you might win after 10 years.

neither do i... so hold your horses :D

ra 9225 is retainment and reacquisition of filipino citizenship... it enables one to go to phil med sch as filipino...

and you can back tumbling ten times for ten years and that will be true...

moreso... phil med schools are not stupid not to know this ra 9225... i happen to respect phil medical schools... and believe that they know what they are doing.

if you are in same boat as me... just call phil consulate in washington dc and ask too if you are in US or call BOI if already in philippines...

if you are not in same boat and youre just guessing... there is a very helpful line that says " i am not afraid to say i do not know" that is very essential in medical practice... and even just in day to day living

if you are angry log off first... then inhale exhale count 1 to 10 then come back and just blog to help others.

coz anger wont take us to medical school... now if you will excuse me i just got back from vacation and i have jet lag... gotta rest :sleep:

life is great!

There is no argument.

It doesn't matter what RA 9225.... says or doesn't say. The various schools interpret the law the way they want. End of story. And nothing said here in that forum will change that.

futuremd dude, class 2011 ka ba? from what group? how's the last few evals?

futuremd dude, class 2011 ka ba? from what group? how's the last few evals?

jaypee MD, yes I'm in batch 2011, group 2. The last few evals were ok. This digestion eval is going to be long. Ikaw?

jaypee MD, yes I'm in batch 2011, group 2. The last few evals were ok. This digestion eval is going to be long. Ikaw?

group 11 ako. the GIT module is quite short (hahaha, sarcastic...:laugh:). oh well, God bless sa exams 2011...:D

^^Question..has anyone tried getting MSPEs from the school? Toxic ba? I only have a dean's letter so far.
Need it for ERAS next year.

Guys I already have a thread regarding this question but in case some of you would like to answer me here then much better. I applied at college of medicine for next school year and I was just interviewed 2 days ago and the doctor said they'll call me and I'm wondering how long will that call take, a week/month or months? I'm nervous because I want to get in La Salle med. I can't sleep while waiting for the results.

^^hi there! I can't recall how long it took for them to say that I was accepted (med school was eons ago).
I am pretty sure you will get in since you took your pre-med in DLSU plus not many people are going into medicine these days so they need all the students they could get.
Don't worry about it. :)

^hello xthine, actually i graduated from ust but I want to study medicine in La Salle. I wasn't nervous at my interview nor my grades are something to be embarassed about he he but it's just that I'm nervous. :( Anyway, thanks for that. :cool:

Hello,

I'm new to this network and am interested in going to La Salle. I already spoke to a family friend of mine about the school since she attended DLSU and graduated last year and she gave me some tips about the interview. But I like to hear tip from those who recently attends La Salle or graduate from the school.

What questions will they ask you and what's your advice for the interview with Dr. Francisco? I just took NMAT in Chicago and got an interview appointment in the beginning of 2008.

In addition, as of now, how much weight will they put on the NMAT? Thanks!

Hello,

I'm new to this network and am interested in going to La Salle. I already spoke to a family friend of mine about the school since she attended DLSU and graduated last year and she gave me some tips about the interview. But I like to hear tip from those who recently attends La Salle or graduate from the school.

What questions will they ask you and what's your advice for the interview with Dr. Francisco? I just took NMAT in Chicago and got an interview appointment in the beginning of 2008.

In addition, as of now, how much weight will they put on the NMAT? Thanks!

I actually interviewed with Dr. Francisco and it was more like a conversation rather than a nerve racking interview...not stressful at all. She asked the basic questions--Why do you want to be a doctor? Why La Salle? Are you ready to make the adjustment of living in the Philippines (as I was coming from the states)?

As for the the NMAT, I'm not quite sure how much they weigh it, but I know people who scored in the high 60s to low 70th percentiles and they got in. I actually feel like the NMAT is more of a formality if you ask me...

How long did you have to wait for your acceptance letter or any notification of your acceptance, FutureMDdude? How you were notified? Thanks!

Any incoming Lasallian first years or any current students looking for a place to live next year? There'll be a room available next year, its in a townhome across from The Orchard golf course, has hot/cold running water, is about 15 min drive from campus, is about 20 mins from Alabang Town Center, you'll have a driver/cook/maid, you'd be living with three girls and for the Fil-Ams, is probably the closest thing to American living you can find in Dasmarinas. If you're interested PM me.