DM forcing covid vaccines? Numbers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickpic007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats everyones DM doing about these shots? In the district I float at we are being told one vial a day exact, M-F only. Absolutely no waste allowed. Its rather tough to get the ten shots but we do it everyday. I read on reddit some stores are being forced to do 50+ a day by the rph?
I find this hard to believe.

Members don't see this ad.

Doing 20 shots a day Tuesday-Saturday. Obviously doing our best not to waste any but my area already has 50+ vaccinated and it's getting very difficult to find people last minute.

What do you mean by absolutely no waste allowed? What are you supposed to do if you have cancellations/no shows and can't find someone interested?

"no waste allowed" is no longer valid considering the vaccine's availability and our indulgent society.

Members don't see this ad :)
10 doses of Moderna a day M-F is reasonable at this point in wide swaths of the nation.

We are at the tipping point where most people who want a shot will get one within the next 2 weeks. That leaves, among the adult population, the lazy, the dingbats, the sideliners, and the immobile.

Pharmacists and techs shouldn't be put in the business of hawking COVID 19 shots like rotisserie chicken. It's pathetic.

Walmart wants you to write an essay every time there is "waste."

Reactions: 1 user
Those things have nice profit margin. Leaving unused doses is literally like throwing money away for those DMs.

And that profit "center" likely will not be avail for next COVID shot season (once EUA turns into full approval) so that will be a hit to everyone's P&L

You get penalized for those few profitable drugs (like net 1-4k a pop) that disappear from your P&L when that pt moves/dies/no longer takes it.

10 doses of Moderna a day M-F is reasonable at this point in wide swaths of the nation.

We are at the tipping point where most people who want a shot will get one within the next 2 weeks. That leaves, among the adult population, the lazy, the dingbats, the sideliners, and the immobile.

Pharmacists and techs shouldn't be put in the business of hawking COVID 19 shots like rotisserie chicken. It's pathetic.

Walmart wants you to write an essay every time there is "waste."
Agreed, that's, for better or worse, my job.

10 doses a day is nothing OP. You should count your lucky stars.

And yes, waste shouldn’t happen. I would recommend making a list of people who have expressed interest to get the vaccine so you can call them in the event of no shows for scheduled appointments. It’s getting difficult to find people at last minute because people who really want to get vaccinated have been vaccinated. So making a list will be crucial.

Whats everyones DM doing about these shots? In the district I float at we are being told one vial a day exact, M-F only. Absolutely no waste allowed. Its rather tough to get the ten shots but we do it everyday. I read on reddit some stores are being forced to do 50+ a day by the rph?
I find this hard to believe.
For me 10 doses a day Tuesday through Friday. Demand is dropping fast so will likely stop in the next few weeks. DMs and retail pharmacy low level management are such a joke, They do everything to fill their wallet and kiss ass. Years back had one email photos of employees getting their vaccinations, an obvious hippa violation. That email got recalled. Had another whose bull**** excuses were so bad that I could no longer look at them in the face, Had another try to manipulate corporate customer service follow ups, until corporate came out and stated they would fire anyone for that action.

I wish we were doing 10 shots... I did 40 shots on Sat alone (with no tech help) and it was freaking nightmare... almost had a mental breakdown
They saw our queue goes up 600+ (7 days behind), reduced to 20 shots a day but now we are back to 40 shots a day soon lol

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

And yes, waste shouldn’t happen. I would recommend making a list of people who have expressed interest to get the vaccine so you can call them in the event of no shows for scheduled appointments. It’s getting difficult to find people at last minute because people who really want to get vaccinated have been vaccinated. So making a list will be crucial.
I am going to cut & paste a few sections from his post...
"And yes, waste shouldn’t happen. "
"It’s getting difficult to find people "

Reactions: 1 users
I am going to cut & paste a few sections from his post...
"And yes, waste shouldn’t happen. "
"It’s getting difficult to find people "
That’s why you do everything you can to a avoid waste which is to proactively keep a list of people who are interested and call them to come same day to get the vaccine.

If you expect people to show up on their own then there will be a waste.

People need to realize that government ie. your tax dollar is paying for this vaccine. I have heard of some stores who didn’t even try to find people to give vaccine when there were no shows because they were busy! They didn’t page inside the store; didn’t call any people to see if someone was interested.

I mean come on guys! Last time I checked it was $30+ for one moderna shot. Are you seriously going just let it go to waste?

Speaking from experience no show rate is 20%. So, if you are scheduled 60 vaccines, I aim for 50 shots. So, I wouldn’t worry about finding 60 people. But if 48 show up, I will do everything to find last two so there would be no waste.

• Dislike
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually being a sycophant for the federal government.

If chains actually care that much then let the individual stores actually control the scheduling. Not this "last schedule slot with one hour to go in the day" bull****

We will spam pickup to get rid of last shots so that isn't necessarily the problem but you can't indefinitely shoot people at this rate (give it a good month or so before it dries up)

OP said he is a floater. There is almost no chance for him to have an effective call list unless the store he floats to is doing it already.

Reactions: 3 users
S/he can make a suggestion to the store if it’s not done already. Also, lot of people ask us if we have vaccine. We ask them:

a) if they want to get it today.
b) if yes then if they can arrive the same day in case of no shows.

Have lot of success with this approach. Being a floater doesn’t exempt you from every responsibility.

• Dislike
Doing 20 shots a day Tuesday-Saturday. Obviously doing our best not to waste any but my area already has 50+ vaccinated and it's getting very difficult to find people last minute.

What do you mean by absolutely no waste allowed? What are you supposed to do if you have cancellations/no shows and can't find someone interested?
DM said to stay late if you need to but don't want to pay OT! He leans on the store managers to recruit store associates to get the vaccine in the afternoons after all the no-shows. I work in an area where shoppers say "f*** this vaccine covid is not dangerous". Its made difficult because lots of these elderly who want the shot were waiting but went to local health department clinics already.

LOL, we should not have to do any of these if we are working on the bench frankly. If CVS of all places has rn and dedicated rph for this its saying a lot.
I wish we were doing 10 shots... I did 40 shots on Sat alone (with no tech help) and it was freaking nightmare... almost had a mental breakdown
They saw our queue goes up 600+ (7 days behind), reduced to 20 shots a day but now we are back to 40 shots a day soon lol
Why do you even bother working there?? I hope you are interviewing for better. If you are bringing in $40 per vaccine administered you need to be happy with your earnings.

People need to realize that government ie. your tax dollar is paying for this vaccine. I have heard of some stores who didn’t even try to find people to give vaccine when there were no shows because they were busy! They didn’t page inside the store; didn’t call any people to see if someone was interested.

I mean come on guys! Last time I checked it was $30+ for one moderna shot. Are you seriously going just let it go to waste?

Speaking from experience no show rate is 20%. So, if you are scheduled 60 vaccines, I aim for 50 shots. So, I wouldn’t worry about finding 60 people. But if 48 show up, I will do everything to find last two so there would be no waste.
Well has your employer increased their staffing to meet the needs of the new workload? I'll guess no. Typical pharmacy just more and more work. This is why people burn out especially when they take ownership for things far beyond their control.

S/he can make a suggestion to the store if it’s not done already. Also, lot of people ask us if we have vaccine. We ask them:

a) if they want to get it today.
b) if yes then if they can arrive the same day in case of no shows.

Have lot of success with this approach. Being a floater doesn’t exempt you from every responsibility.

Great idea. I will drop a note into suggestions box and see how well it goes. Meanwhile I will ask for a friend.

Well has your employer increased their staffing to meet the needs of the new workload? I'll guess no. Typical pharmacy just more and more work. This is why people burn out especially when they take ownership for things far beyond their control.
Yes they have increased staffing. But issue we are facing is different which is retaining good employees but that’s for another thread.

Imagine being such a sycophant for a company that you are transferring Moderna vaccine (T-minus 30 days BUD) from other markets (regions?) just to unload them in your market.

It's across the company. Thing is not all stores got Moderna vaccine. Some had janssen but they had to hold off. And stores who had Moderna from beginning are now running out of people to give vaccine. So, the idea is to transfer those vaccines that are sitting in the freeze to the stores that never had that vaccine initially so that they can reach out to grater no. of public.

"We" are part of the federal retail pharmacy program and getting product every week so that excuse doesn't apply here. Besides eligibility is now wide open. On the other hand younger people (30 and below) are less inclined in general to get shot, and if you are located rural or Trumpian it'll be harder to unload shots.

Years back had one email photos of employees getting their vaccinations, an obvious hippa violation. That email got recalled.

It's HIPAA, bad enough that nobody outside of the medical world can spell it, surely pharmacists can spell it? Also, no, that isn't an "obvious" HIPAA violation, pictures of anyone getting their shot can be shared via e-mail, as long as the person has given permission for this (I'll assume that one or more of the employees didn't, since the e-mail was recalled...but if I had seen the e-mail, my assumption would have been the employees had gave permission.)

Reactions: 3 users
I always "enjoyed" seeing those social media posts from Rx supes who got snapped ~5 years back.

Must be fun to man the bench now or whatever it is they're doing these days.

It's HIPAA, bad enough that nobody outside of the medical world can spell it, surely pharmacists can spell it? Also, no, that isn't an "obvious" HIPAA violation, pictures of anyone getting their shot can be shared via e-mail, as long as the person has given permission for this (I'll assume that one or more of the employees didn't, since the e-mail was recalled...but if I had seen the e-mail, my assumption would have been the employees had gave permission.)
You got me I don't spell check my posts or check the grammar. I don't know where you work but cameras in patient care areas are a huge no no. And it is obvious if you look at who sent the picture, the intent.

Anyone else wish there was a prefilled syringe of the COVID-19 vaccine kept in the fridge? Or am I just the lazy one out here.

Anyone else wish there was a prefilled syringe of the COVID-19 vaccine kept in the fridge? Or am I just the lazy one out here.
I've been saying that we're going to need this for a while now but because of expiration times not laziness. It's getting to the point where pharmacies in my area are going to waste a considerable number of doses.

I've been saying that we're going to need this for a while now but because of expiration times not laziness. It's getting to the point where pharmacies in my area are going to waste a considerable number of doses.
Public have perception that all you have to do is make an appointment and get your shot. What they don't know that we have to group them in 5, 6, or 10 at a time in order to to do it to avoid waste then they get upset. It will get there eventually, probably after it turns into an annual shot.

Public have perception that all you have to do is make an appointment and get your shot. What they don't know that we have to group them in 5, 6, or 10 at a time in order to to do it to avoid waste then they get upset.
Sure but that doesn't really help me when I have 7 extra does at the end of the day because of no shows. I've had days where I've offered the shot to every adult who walked near the pharmacy counter and had no one interested.

Monday had 10 no shows (incl a household of 4) so rescheduled or cancelled the rest after some of those later appointments were dissatisfied at having to wait, after being told rescheduling is viable to re-bin appointments.

Next day CC about how we "can't turn anyone away" (when before it was "no waste") and that waste is permissible up to an extent. Dredged up 9 more walk-ins against 13 scheduled (3 canceled and 1 rescheduled from the prev day).

The U.S. allegedly bought over 1 billion doses so what is all the pearl-clutching all about 'wasted' doses now. Are we now going to pretend to care about the global south?

They need to make a vial of 5 doses like Jansen.. 10 dose vial is an obstruction tbh.

So the new vial will have 14 doses lol

Sure but that doesn't really help me when I have 7 extra does at the end of the day because of no shows. I've had days where I've offered the shot to every adult who walked near the pharmacy counter and had no one interested.
I didnt say it would help you....its the perception OUTside that someone sees and the reality we have to deal with on the INside. The general public just sees it advertised as come on in and get your shot....They dont care if they show up on time or not or if they dont show up for their appointment at all. While on the inside we're scrambling for find an arm to make up for them not showing up, cancelling, etc

Im hoping by this summer there will be enough produced so if we have waste, we dont have to go through an act of congress explaining what happened/why to higher ups.

hey at wagz, do we have to report anything official regarding wasted doses? never was told anything.

I don't get paid for logistics. There are reasons why the SDV was created in the first place and the cost of waste was the primary reason. Yes I know someone is going to claim that is was clinical safety by ensuring that injecting the right drug at the right amount but I have yet to be in a business meeting where safety was really number 1.

You got me I don't spell check my posts or check the grammar. I don't know where you work but cameras in patient care areas are a huge no no. And it is obvious if you look at who sent the picture, the intent.

That, of course, is not true. Almost every employee, as well as every patient, is going to have their cell phone camera in the patient care area. Taking pictures in a patient care area is also fine, as long as patient information, or unconsenting patients, aren't being captured. It's pretty easy to take a photo of someone getting a flu shot, and not get anyone else, or anyone elses information in the picture, except for the patient and the vaccinator. As long as the patient has consented to having their picture used, there is no issue with HIPAA.

Selfies for shots is a little better than selfies among wildflowers that are trampled after excessive preening of Instagrammers x 50000

Watch the SNL news update clip from this past weekend. CVS got grilled again saying they are responsible for half of all doses wasted. Damn, you can't beat that kind of PR.

hey at wagz, do we have to report anything official regarding wasted doses? never was told anything.
You toss the wasted syringes in a Sharps container and then do a salvage claim for the total millilitres you are wasting.

Salvage claim is done the same way you would do a normal expiring drug salvage claim, keep the paperwork in the recording keeping totes for niw. Also, it shouldn't generate an INMAR return label.