DMD/MBA opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C2H5OH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys !

From what I've seen, most of the people in this forum are MDs ...

My situation is somewhat different - I'm a practicing dentist, currently working my way towards an MBA degree (expected to graduate in about 4 months).

I was wondering whether there are quite interesting opportunities for me as a DMD/MBA ... like business, consulting, etc ... or is it all booked for our MD counterparts?

Members don't see this ad.

Any1 at all ?

While I'm not a MD, I too am interested in obtaining a MBA. I think as dentists our situation is different. If I am to get the MBA it will be under the context of learning how to start-up and grow a successful busines (not necessarily a dental office), not to be anyone's employee. I would make my own opportunity, which ironically doesn't require the letters MBA after your name. However as dentists, I believe that we are more tuned in to "free market" oportunities than say our MD counterparts (that's probabaly a whole new thread). Looks like you're almost done. I would love to hear what your thoughts are and what advice or pearls you would have to share on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking back, I'm not so sure that your MBA studies will prepare you to open a start-up ... imho, it gives you an overview of different aspects of management.

As you mentioned, you don't need this degree if you're an entrepreneur ... most of them do the needed steps intuitively ... but it actually can make you a better employee at a managerial position

But all that varies according to one's personality ... as for me, I'm not that sure anymore that I'd like to start my own business, but I perform very well when needed to reach a certain goal ... that's why I'd be looking for opportunities that I've mentioned in my original post.

Anyhow, at the moment, all this is pretty far fetched since I have 2 more years to give to the army, since I studied on a military scholarship ...

Feel free to PM me if you have any interesting thoughts/questions/ideas ...

I had at one point wanted to get my MBA. I dual enrolled at UF MBA program while I was at UF College of Dentistry but they screwed over my Finaid and I took a leave from the MBA ultimately to abandon it for the mean time. Now I am doing OMFS but at some point would not mind looking into MBA or MPH but I want to use it for academic leadership purposes. But thats my 2 cents.