DMD/MBA questions!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwantmydds

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've developed an interest in pursuing DMD/MBA dual degree and eventually doing postdoctoral residency. I will skip explaining why for now. I've been accepted to a dental school and it starts in few months. I have few questions regarding 5 year DMD/MBA program.

1. If one intends to do residency in some kind of specialty straight out of DMD/MBA program, wouldn't he forget the hard-skills that he learned at the business school? My reasoning is that you can't really utilize your business knowledge durnig the 2~4 years of residency. However, I've seen few profiles of MD/MBA students at TOP business schools who are planning to do residency after, which suggests it has been done.

2. When would be the best timing for taking GMAT and applying to business school while in dental school? Is it best to take/study for GMAT BEFORE starting dental school? At my school DMD/MBA is 5 years(some schools are 4 years).

3. I have a specific career goal that I would rather not mention for now, but I would like to know(or more like to confirm) what kind of career opportunities there are for somenoe with DMD/MBA/specialty residency.

4. If theres anybody who's doing DMD/MBA, would you please PUT YO HANDS UP?? I would appreciate some guidance on this. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I considered doing the combined 5 year DDS/MBA, but ultimately decided against it. Why? Unless you have real world business experience, you won't be able to assimilate what you're learning in B-school with anything practical. Plus, the opportunity cost of spending an additional year in school is outrageous.

I'm still considering the MBA, but not until I have been out practicing for a number of years and would take the courses in the evening. Even then, I see it as personal satisfaction and continuing education more so than some great financial investment.

jb!:)

I KINDOF agree with you because traiditionally MBA programs are set up for people with work experience, but I've personally met an MD/MBA(whom I lost contact so I can't ask her) who is interested in running nonprofit later. And I 've also read about med students without any business background doing the dual degree. Theres gotta be something that makes this route worthwhile and practical for those who intend to do residency afterwards.

I considered doing the combined 5 year DDS/MBA, but ultimately decided against it. Why? Unless you have real world business experience, you won't be able to assimilate what you're learning in B-school with anything practical. Plus, the opportunity cost of spending an additional year in school is outrageous.

I'm still considering the MBA, but not until I have been out practicing for a number of years and would take the courses in the evening. Even then, I see it as personal satisfaction and continuing education more so than a good financial investment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I KINDOF agree with you because traiditionally MBA programs are set up for people with work experience, but I've personally met an MD/MBA(whom I lost contact so I can't ask her) who is interested in running nonprofit later. And I 've also read about med students without any business background doing the dual degree. Theres gotta be something that makes this route worthwhile and practical for those who intend to do residency afterwards.

Of course there are people doing these degrees. Doesn't mean it makes a heck of a lot of sense.

I'm not saying the degree is pointless. I think it is a better idea to get your dental degree now and get your MBA later, part-time, while you're making money.

I don't understand - you have to have an MBA to run a dental practice?

These degrees are largely useless without work experience prior to starting the program. Business skills are useful as a general rule but you could get an MBA at night/online/at your local business school once you are practicing and have the knowledge of where to focus your studies. Alternatively, read up on the areas you need and skip the MBA entirely.

No one will pay you higher dental rates based on the fact that you have an MBA. However, having an MBA or business skill generally will allow you to know when you need to charge higher rates for your dental skills.

true true...
I think I agree with yall that it's better to practice for a while and then perhaps go for an MBA much later...

thank you.

However, having an MBA or business skill generally will allow you to know when you need to charge higher rates for your dental skills.
Really? Business schools teach dentists that composites cost more than amalgams?! :laugh:

But seriously, what people have said here it correct. You really need some sort of business experience to make an MBA worthwhile. Also, I've talked to a number of people at top business schools, and most of them agree that the #1 reason to go to business school is to make connections. So, frankly, in my opinion, if your goal is to have your own private practice I think an MBA is useless.

I plan on taking some basic accounting night classes when I first get out.

Ok. Pretty ignorant statement but it would seem like the completion of a dual MBA degree would be pretty useful in your specialty aspirations.

how so??? u mean it will make you stand out from the crowd?

how so??? u mean it will make you stand out from the crowd?

I figure if you have the norm for specialty applicants (high GPA/class ranking/"really high pass on the board"/extracurricular stuff) and then an MBA to boot. It's got to help, right?

In a number of schools that I have looked at, this type of dual degree is worked out so that you take either the second or third year away from the Dental Field to do the MBA full-time, and then return to do your clinicals...therefore making it possible to make as smooth a transition from school to the field as any of your other classmate might have.

In a number of schools that I have looked at, this type of dual degree is worked out so that you take either the second or third year away from the Dental Field to do the MBA full-time, and then return to do your clinicals...therefore making it possible to make as smooth a transition from school to the field as any of your other classmate might have.

I've heard of a quite a few schools, UNLV included, that have you take 1 or 2 night classes a week your 2nd through 4th years. If you hacked it well your first year then it wouldn't hurt you to take a couple classes at night. But I do agree that it really isn't for the use of the degree as much as it is for the letters after your name/"application makeup".

hell, why not go to law school then? :rolleyes:

Way to go wiseguy....then you'd be missing the other 3 letters that are obviously more important. But thanks for the comment :cool:

Way to go wiseguy....then you'd be missing the other 3 letters that are obviously more important. But thanks for the comment :cool:
Who said anything about not doing dental school?

I'm taking your "application makeup" idea to the next level. Why not get your dental degree, and then do your law degree? I mean, a law degree is a lot more impressive than an MBA, isn't it?

Those ortho, endo, and oral surgery programs would be salivating all over your dual-degree brain.

Who said anything about not doing dental school?

I'm taking your "application makeup" idea to the next level. Why not get your dental degree, and then do your law degree? I mean, a law degree is a lot more impressive than an MBA, isn't it?

Those ortho, endo, and oral surgery programs would be salivating all over your dual-degree brain.

Touche. Ok, lets see, JD 2016 or bust! Ortho grad 2018/2019 or double bust! Boo yah!!!!!