DMD/PhD Programs?

Started by mgether36
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah....it's rare to find dual degree candidates who are willing to recieve lower pay and be in academia. That's why a lot of schools want dual candidates to attend their school.
 
Remember that receiving a DDS and PhD doesn't limit you to only academics. You can do anything you want to do (industry, entrepreneurship, policy, teaching, etc). The primary motivation for pursuing a dual degree program should really just be your passion for science.
 
I've gotten accepted into UAB's DMD/PhD program but I am turning down the offer and asking them to consider me as a DMD candidate.
 
Why is that (if you you don't mind me asking)? I also got an offer at a school but I feel like I'm just doing it for the money. I don't wanna be in debt...ahhh!
 
Why is that (if you you don't mind me asking)? I also got an offer at a school but I feel like I'm just doing it for the money. I don't wanna be in debt...ahhh!

doing a dual degree program because of the money is in my opinion not worth it...you should have a strong passion for the research or you'll be miserable for the phd years...i was in a phd program for a bit and it was a real grind..gluck tho.
 
Anyone else considering this?

I haven't seen anyone else on here who has applied.


I am not sure if you applied to UIC but check out UIC's DMD/PhD program as well. They normally take in-state for DMD's, but I don't know if they take out of states for DMD/PhD's. Good luck!
 
I am still considering PhD later but without actually treating patients and teaching in academic settings, I have no idea which is a better fit for me and which I would truly enjoy. I wanted that experience before committing my life into academia. Also, the money you get as a dual student is a lot and will leave you with little debt. But, clinicians get more money after dental school in 3 years than you would for your entire dual program. So if you decide dual, do it because of the program and what it offers rather than money.