Dmd Vs Dds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wpeck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a post on the Dental website debating the differences between the DMD and the DDS degree. Arguments were made that DMDs dont actually practice dentistry. I was wondering if someone could clarify the differences to me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMD's don't practice dentistry!? That's aload of BS. They are the exact same degree. The philosophy behind them might be a LITTLE different, but in the real world they are the same.

eapleitez said:
DMD's don't practice dentistry!? That's aload of BS. They are the exact same degree. The philosophy behind them might be a LITTLE different, but in the real world they are the same.
They're not even *that* little bit different. The only philosophy behind the DMD was Harvard's pretentious insistence on offering their own degree instead of the pathetic "doctorates" awarded by all the other plebeian dental schools.

aphistis said:
They're not even *that* little bit different. The only philosophy behind the DMD was Harvard's pretentious insistence on offering their own degree instead of the pathetic "doctorates" awarded by all the other plebeian dental schools.

Yea I read the FAQs on the ADS website. This is just information I was reading off a post by PRACTICING dentists from the Dental forum.

wpeck said:
Yea I read the FAQs on the ADS website. This is just information I was reading off a post by PRACTICING dentists from the Dental forum.

There are only a couple practicing dentists that post regularly on the SDN dental forum, the rest are students. What part of the FAQ didn't make sense to prompt this thread? Anything not already stated in the faq is part of the constant dds vs dmd joke.

wpeck said:
I remember reading a post on the Dental website debating the differences between the DMD and the DDS degree. Arguments were made that DMDs dont actually practice dentistry. I was wondering if someone could clarify the differences to me. Thanks.

i heard that programs that offer DMDs are actually night programs, kind of like the university of phoenix, is that true?

Cyclysm said:
i heard that programs that offer DMDs are actually night programs, kind of like the university of phoenix, is that true?

I heard that DMD programs graduated dentists online with clinic work. And thats why they are easier. :laugh:

Cyclysm said:

Yeah.. I heard this also! Plus because it doesn't say surgery in the degree - they can only prescribe medicine...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wpeck said:
My husband is a practicing dentist and he says the degrees are identical.

y'all are hilarious...hehehe

Members don't see this ad :)
DMDs are better cuz they have MD in them. I mean, MD..come on guys, MDs are fecking Gods

Wait, wait, wait...you mean that I will actually be able to practice dentistry when I get out?? I thought I'd be stuck handing out prescriptions all day while the DDS's do all the dirty work. Thank God.

wpeck said:

Hello Confusees,

I am a practicing dentist and let me put an end to this mess:

DDS requires 4 years undergrad and 4 years of dental school. Granted by Dental Boards to do any dental procedures to treat oral diseases.

DMD requires attending vocational school (usually 6 months night school) with only a high school or GED required. They learn about the procedures and talk to the patients but legally can't touch any part of the oral cavity.

Therfore, DDS are "do-ers" and DMD are "preachers".

Dai Phan DDS

Dr. Dai Phan said:
Hello Confusees,

DDS requires 4 years undergrad and 4 years of dental school. Granted by Dental Boards to do any dental procedures to treat oral diseases.

DMD requires attending vocational school (usually 6 months night school) with only a high school or GED required. They learn about the procedures and talk to the patients but legally can't touch any part of the oral cavity.

Dai Phan DDS

:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Dr. Dai Phan said:
Hello Confusees,

Dai Phan DDS

thank you for clearing that up, it is good to see that there are people dedicated enough to make sure we get the right information onto this forum for everyone to read.

well, hate to spoil your world, but there is a difference. a study was on dentists across the nation and many believed that DMD's give them better competitiveness and sense of prestige compared to DDS. That's why Case school decided to give out DMDs now instead of DDS (they changed this couple years ago).

but as far as dentistry is concerned, they are the same. difference lies in perception of them.

my opinion is because DMDs have MD in it. lol. just a guess.

I am relatively certain that DMD stands for Doctor of Magical Dentistry. The schools that offer the DMD offer you skills in magic and dental wizardry. ggggehayyyyyyy!

bigsilvo said:
I am relatively certain that DMD stands for Doctor of Magical Dentistry. The schools that offer the DMD offer you skills in magic and dental wizardry. ggggehayyyyyyy!

No way, it's Dungeon Master of Dentistry! I think the first class is Liger husbandry though, so you they can harness it's magical powers.

DDS and DMD = Same Thing. Just took history of dentistry... same thing... No worries :)

ASUDDS said:
DDS and DMD = Same Thing. Just took history of dentistry... same thing... No worries :)

I thought ASDOH awards DOMD?? :confused: Maybe it's DODDS?

DMD : doctor of dental "medicine"

DDS : doctor of dental "surgery"

surgery > medicine ..... but if medicine is your thing than choose that, surgeons have horrible lifestyle anyways

wpeck said:
As you can tell from the responses to this useless thread, people are growing awfully tired of this ridiculous question. You admit to reading the FAQs and yet you still feel the need to ask the most insane question where you're only going to get asinine responses.
Can we please stop creating this exact same thread? A simple search on this site would turn up with several of the exact same threads/asinine responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.