DMD vs DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesdeluxe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious if there is ACTUALLY anything different with these degrees. My father is a dentist (DMD) and knew friends who were DDS and I remember him telling me that there was a few very slight differences. He recalled having military friends that were DDS and they couldn't write precriptions for patients while he has always been able to with a DMD. Maybe this is something that is state regulated as I see the ADA website says there is no difference at all (although this could just be to reassure patients and dental graduates). I thought he also said that the DDS could administer global anesthesia while he was limited to n02 and local anesthetic.

My dad was in the military and worked with a lot of dentists/clenics before going into private practice so I thought maybe he would be correct on this. However, maybe it's something that was defined differently in the past and now there is no difference. After all he is one of those babyboomers who needs to retire ;) Anyone know for sure?

Members don't see this ad.

and yet again.... it starts. I wonder what kind of fun and exciting sarcasm will come out of this one.
-C

To te OP: Please read the FAQ

Dude, I've read the explanations and most of them same the two degrees are exactly the same. However I've also read some explanations that say something like "in the field, the two degrees are virtually the same" or "the two degrees are basically the same" which by nature leaves the door open for debate. What are those 'virtual' differences?

I've also now read statements from a few dental professors who thought the training was slightly different but the degrees reflect the same thing. One website said that the DMD might have or still might reflect being taught at a more medical related institution where perhaps physician and dental cirriculums bleed into each other more. Just because the board only tests you on one set of standards doesn't mean that there still couldn't be a slight difference in training and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, I've read the explanations and most of them same the two degrees are exactly the same. However I've also read some explanations that say something like "in the field, the two degrees are virtually the same" or "the two degrees are basically the same" which by nature leaves the door open for debate. What are those 'virtual' differences?

Well, how about if I provide you with a more definitive statement? Would that put your mind at ease.

There is almost no difference whatsoever between these two degrees.

They're identical. Not "almost the same," or "essentially the same," or "mostly the same"--they're exactly the same.

As someone else noted, see the FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.