DMU housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hightower

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering when I should seriously start looking for a place to live in Des Moines for DMU fall of 2009. How early do you need to put a deposit down, etc? I will need to be moved in by the first week of August. I have heard West Des Moines is a nice area and we are considering renting a townhouse or a regular house but we are open to the idea of an apartment if needs be. Anyone have any recommendations for townhomes or apartments out in West Des Moines? We are looking for 2 or 3 bedrooms. Thanks a million :)

Members don't see this ad.

i am going to be moving there and looking for a house the same size. i have spent a lot of time in Des Moines. It depends on what you are looking for. I am getting married and have friends there, but school and my wife will be my focus. I think West DM is overrated. Yeah, it has the little shopping DM offers and some restaurants and stores and stuff. By going a little south or north you can get the same house for 200 less a month. I can deal with 15 minutes to class. Because DMU has so many things already on campus, I don't see a need to drive back and forth multiple times a day, so a little communte with out having to worry about parking is fine. I want the most bang for my buck (rather my wife's bucks), so clive, urbandale or south des moines is fine.

Stay away from the North side (unless you live in Ankeny ~20-30 mins away) or the East sides of Des Moines. The South side is alright, but not great. The best parts of Des Moines are the Central (downtown) and West sides of Des Moines, and any suburb (Clive, West Des Moines, Urbandale). Of course you will pay more for something nicer. I live in 3000 Grand apts a half block f/ campus and love being able to walk to school.
I've lived in Des Moines my whole life for what its worth. Good luck.

so jdikis, do your gas bills get very high at 3G's? :laugh: