DMU interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyorkcougar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A number of us interviewd at DMU this past week and I have been waiting to hear about how it went. My interview there is this Thursday. For those of you who already interviewd there, how was it? What should I expect? Any special DMU advice or opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

newyorkcougar said:
A number of us interviewd at DMU this past week and I have been waiting to hear about how it went. My interview there is this Thursday. For those of you who already interviewd there, how was it? What should I expect? Any special DMU advice or opinions?

Two of us already posted our results in the interview feedback section of SDN.

They are very nice-they give you a lot of info about the school-I read the interview feedback and they tend to ask the question-name one social problem in medicine, why DMU...etc.

PM me if you have more specific questions.

Actually, for miner, they tore me up for about an hour an a half. I am not sure where I stand. Be ready for ALL types of questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
medic170 said:
Actually, for miner, they tore me up for about an hour an a half. I am not sure where I stand. Be ready for ALL types of questions.
Wow, that's quite a long interview, for DMU standards. Sorry to hear you didn't have such a good time. It's all about who you get to interview you. Good luck with everything :)

I just found out one of the people on the adcom is an MS1 that was in my premed society last year, and he's giving interviews in portland on the day that I interview. It should make for a cool interview if I get him. It's kinda weird to know someone on the adcom that went to your undergrad with you!

medic170 said:

Seeing as how you already have two acceptances under your belt, I'm sure you're not sweating it too much. If I were you, I would be feeling pretty relaxed right now...unless DMU was your first choice of course.

Did DMU give any indication of when you would hear from them? It is the normal 2-4 weeks?

newyorkcougar said:
Did DMU give any indication of when you would hear from them? It is the normal 2-4 weeks?

Yeah, they said about 2 weeks

Mr. Seeds said:
I just found out one of the people on the adcom is an MS1 that was in my premed society last year, and he's giving interviews in portland on the day that I interview. It should make for a cool interview if I get him. It's kinda weird to know someone on the adcom that went to your undergrad with you!

FYI - I know at several Canadian schools it would be considered unethical for you not to disclose any prior contact with an interviewer. May be best to find out if the school has anything to say about this kind of situation.

Cheers,
thatuvicguy

Everybody said it was gonna be really stress-free... from interview feedback as well as the students. I was ripped apart as well for 30 minutes by 4 interviewers. I think that whole 4 on 1 thing is unfair, especially if they are attacking you like they did me. Anyway, best of luck to you. As someone mentioned, it's all about who you get to interview you.

I really liked the school. It's beautiful and the students are really nice. The administration is second to none in my opinion. Good luck and prepare.

thatuvicguy said:
FYI - I know at several Canadian schools it would be considered unethical for you not to disclose any prior contact with an interviewer. May be best to find out if the school has anything to say about this kind of situation.

Cheers,
thatuvicguy

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I'll look into it.

The thing is DMU sent him to portland to interview people from the area. I imagine that they would anticipate such a scenario of him knowing people who are applying.

best,

OnMyWayThere said:
Everybody said it was gonna be really stress-free... from interview feedback as well as the students. I was ripped apart as well for 30 minutes by 4 interviewers. I think that whole 4 on 1 thing is unfair, especially if they are attacking you like they did me. Anyway, best of luck to you. As someone mentioned, it's all about who you get to interview you.

I really liked the school. It's beautiful and the students are really nice. The administration is second to none in my opinion. Good luck and prepare.

Sounds like you had the same interviewers as me. No offense, but I am glad I was not the only one to get hit with heavy artillery.

what sort of stuff were you two grilled about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Seeds said:
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I'll look into it.

The thing is DMU sent him to portland to interview people from the area. I imagine that they would anticipate such a scenario of him knowing people who are applying.

best,

I believe you are talking about me and I cannot interview anyone I know, nor would I want to; that would be unethical practice. I can, however, talk to you before and after the interview. What is your name?

Blake

fabiolablake said:
I believe you are talking about me and I cannot interview anyone I know, nor would I want to; that would be unethical practice. I can, however, talk to you before and after the interview. What is your name?

Blake

Fabiolablake,

Thank you for the clarification, and I look forward to speaking with you either before or after my interview. I hope all is going well with you at Des Moines University this year.

Best,

medic170 said:
Sounds like you had the same interviewers as me. No offense, but I am glad I was not the only one to get hit with heavy artillery.

Yeah, I guess I just got lucky with my interviewers. One of my interviewers was the DO who showed us "Harvey". The other was a student, the other had a MPH or maybe it was in medical administration. They talked to each other between questions and made it less stressful that way. I actually preferred it to a one-on-one interview. I just interviewed at KCOM-the plus was they interview you before lunch and the tour, but each interview lasted an hour and they asked many of the same questions, and there was another 20 minute interview with an admission staff member who asked 3 or 4 of the same standard questions. I was pretty much exhausted after being on the edge of my seat for 2 and a half hours.

For me, the type of interview I have (ie-was I ripped apart or was I treated respectfully and tactfully) has a strong influence on how I feel about the school. Unless I was just absolutely GAGA about the school, I probably would not attend if I felt they were rude to me in the interview (of course I understand they have to ask you some hard questions at times-I don't consider this rude if they are tactful about it).

DMU didn't ask me any questions about my academics (or any rude questions) but I know how it feels to have your stats scrutinized after working so hard to get there... its a big turnoff.

I'm leaving tomorrow at 6:20AM for my DMU interivew!!! YAWN! I can't believe I scheduled my flight so early but at least I'll be there in time to check out any sights before I interview on Thursday. If anyone has any advice feel free to PM me!

Munchkin6245 said:
I'm leaving tomorrow at 6:20AM for my DMU interivew!!! YAWN! I can't believe I scheduled my flight so early but at least I'll be there in time to check out any sights before I interview on Thursday. If anyone has any advice feel free to PM me!

i'm leaving tomorrow also for my DMU interview on Thurs. best thing about it is the 14 hour drive I get to make from CO to get there! that'll be so much fun :rolleyes:

alumafly said:
i'm leaving tomorrow also for my DMU interview on Thurs. best thing about it is the 14 hour drive I get to make from CO to get there! that'll be so much fun :rolleyes:

Good luck on your interviews guys and I hope they did all go well.........it is basically based on luck of the draw, but I'm a 2nd year at DMU and I hope to see some of you around des moines throughout the year!!

medic170 said:

I also thought that I had a rough interview (i'm an MSII @ DMU), but it is to your advantage because you have several different view points that are looking at you. It's not just one person who can make or break you. We try to make you feel comfortable here, but during interview time we are down to business. So just smile and have a good time for the majority of the day, but put on your game face when it is time to interview.

update on interview:
I think my interview went really well and was very relaxed. I did get asked two "ethical" questions but it wasn't like I didn't expect them. I didn't feel like I got grilled like you guys but I only had 3 interviewers also. Overall, I really enjoyed it.

I had an interview today as well. It went very well. I connected with my interviewers and we had some wonderful discussions. I didn't feel any of the questions were very difficult. I've had worse anyway. I guess it just depends on who you end up with and how/where "the conversation" goes.

Good luck guys!!

*wearing his DMU ballcap and T-shirt* :D

DMU ADCOM met on Monday. They said that everything was approved by the dean first. So, that would have us who interviewed last week being notified today or tomorrow, I suppose. We'll see? :scared:

Good luck, everyone!