DMU vs AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asugymmed2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to DMU and AZCOM for the entering class of 2015, but I am having trouble deciding between the two. I know that there is a significant cost difference, but apart from that, does anyone have any opinions on the two schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to DMU and AZCOM for the entering class of 2015, but I am having trouble deciding between the two. I know that there is a significant cost difference, but apart from that, does anyone have any opinions on the two schools?

Go the cheaper route. Period.

Reactions: 1 user
Pros for DMU: about $60,000 less in tuition over 4 years, plus you will have a much lower general cost of living
Cons for DMU: that lower cost of living comes from the fact that you live in Des Moines, Iowa

Pros for AZCOM: if you're not into primary care, they're one of the more specialty-friendly DO schools, plus Glendale is more fun than Des Moines
AZCons: significantly more expensive; you'll probably spend in the neighborhood of $100,000 more throughout the 4 years

Reactions: 1 user
Pros for DMU: about $60,000 less in tuition over 4 years, plus you will have a much lower general cost of living
Cons for DMU: that lower cost of living comes from the fact that you live in Des Moines, Iowa

Pros for AZCOM: if you're not into primary care, they're one of the more specialty-friendly DO schools, plus Glendale is more fun than Des Moines
AZCons: significantly more expensive; you'll probably spend in the neighborhood of $100,000 more throughout the 4 years

Des Moines is a hidden gem in the Midwest, plenty of fun things to do and safer than most other decently sized cities and you can literally go less than 3 hours in multiple directions to get to Kansas City, Omaha, and Minneapolis-St.Paul and 5 hours to Chicago.

The whole "specialty-friendly" argument is weak because the only thing that is going to hold you back from a given specialty is yourself in your grades, board scores, etc especially on the DO side.

You're also comparing a 20 year old medical school to a medical school over 100 years old.

Reactions: 2 users