DMU vs. AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinamazing

Kung Fu Manchu Master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really like both schools but must make a decision about which school to attend this fall. The first two years at DMU differ slightly from AZCOM in that the SIM labs, skills labs, and technology integrated learning tools create a distinct break from the powerpoint/textbook monotony. AZCOM is much more traditional in the first two years. I do like AZCOM's board pass rates but if their tuition is $8,000 more per year, why can't they throw in some stuff like DMU: like Kaplan board prep materials, new Tablet laptop, ect. I am most concerned with the 3rd and 4th years at both schools. I know my chances of moving away from school are greater at DMU (I don't like that too much, I have a family) but both seem to have issues in this area. I would very much appreciate any advise or insight to the differences between these two schools especially in the area of their clinical training.

Members don't see this ad.

Of those two I'd choose DMU. I think it's national reputation is superior (my feeling, maybe I'm wrong). You'd do 3rd year rotations all over Iowa. It's the 4th year that you'd set up on your own.

yea i kno a bit more about dmu as i plan on going there next year....but from applying to midwestern-az it seems like an excellent school as well, their board pass rates seem incredible but my only concern is the growing class size cuz you would be the first calss with the 250 students so you will be the test group if that was the case.....like the above poster said, 4th year you will be setting up a lot of rotations if there r certain hospitals ud like to do ur residency at so that is a plus for me but it might not be the case for u with ur family

Members don't see this ad :)
It almost sounds like you would prefer DMU. I know that for me having a family, going to AZCOM will be great because we plan on staying in the Phoenix area all four years. I can't imagine having to move around a lot with kids.

I'm gonna be honest...I had the same 'problem' last year. I chose AZCOM, and I don't regret it one bit.

Maybe it has something to do with the great education, campus, and grueling testing schedule.

Or maybe its because of the 82 degree days we have had for the past 2 months...while there are feet of snow pounding the midwest.

I have specifics I could point out, but DMU seems like a fine school no doubt. I don't think you will hurting at either, as both have their fine points.

From what I was told at the interview, DMU is changing its rotation service and making different affiliations. If you really want to move to Michigan or Ohio or Florida I'm sure you could, but it looks like a great majority will get to stay in Iowa (near Des Moines) for both 3rd and 4th year. In all reality, DMU including all of the stuff that you mentioned (laptop, PDAs, Kaplan junks) in their tuition takes the cost difference far beyond the $8,000 per year difference. DMU area is cheaper for cost of living, too.

I really like both schools but must make a decision about which school to attend this fall. The first two years at DMU differ slightly from AZCOM in that the SIM labs, skills labs, and technology integrated learning tools create a distinct break from the powerpoint/textbook monotony. AZCOM is much more traditional in the first two years. I do like AZCOM's board pass rates but if their tuition is $8,000 more per year, why can't they throw in some stuff like DMU: like Kaplan board prep materials, new Tablet laptop, ect. I am most concerned with the 3rd and 4th years at both schools. I know my chances of moving away from school are greater at DMU (I don't like that too much, I have a family) but both seem to have issues in this area. I would very much appreciate any advise or insight to the differences between these two schools especially in the area of their clinical training.

Your chances of having to move away aren't really that great in DMU. Here are the results from our lottery:

"All 163 students that participated in the lottery matched to either their 1st or 2nd choice site.
144 students matched their 1st choice
19 students matched their 2nd choice
No one matched lower than their 2nd choice."

Now, you may have to travel around Iowa for some of your rotations as Des Moines is a loose term meaning most of the state. Personally, I have to stay in Mason City for one month. The rest of my rotations, thus far, are all in Des Moines (most at Mercy); we have set up 6 months of rotations at this point.

Now, 4th year is a different story as this is pretty much all electives; you can choose to stay in Iowa if you want but most people, including myself, will be getting out of here.

Now, you may have to travel around Iowa for some of your rotations as Des Moines is a loose term meaning most of the state. Personally, I have to stay in Mason City for one month. The rest of my rotations, thus far, are all in Des Moines (most at Mercy); we have set up 6 months of rotations at this point.

When you have to spend just one month at one site is there some kind of housing available? How does that all work?

I believe craigslist and networking become your friends.

When you have to spend just one month at one site is there some kind of housing available? How does that all work?

In my particular case, yes. Which reminds me...I have to call my housing contact tonight haah. However, this isn't the case for all of the rotations; really on an individual basis.

Let me correct some incorrect posts here.....You do not have to set up your own rotations, find rotations, call hostipals/docs if they will take you. We have coordinators that do that for you. They contact the site and set it up, that is their job. You the tell coordinator what you want. Also you will not be sent to Ohio/ Michigan if you dont want to, infact those seem to be some of the more popular places to go so they are sought after.

In my particular case, yes. Which reminds me...I have to call my housing contact tonight haah. However, this isn't the case for all of the rotations; really on an individual basis.

I think I'll just use the proceeds from the sale of my house on a motorhome to live in. I wonder if the school would mind me parking it out in the back. :D

I think I'll just use the proceeds from the sale of my house on a motorhome to live in. I wonder if the school would mind me parking it out in the back. :D

I'd find a 24hour Wal-mart. Everything you need in your own backyard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me correct some incorrect posts here.....You do not have to set up your own rotations, find rotations, call hostipals/docs if they will take you. We have coordinators that do that for you. They contact the site and set it up, that is their job. You the tell coordinator what you want. Also you will not be sent to Ohio/ Michigan if you dont want to, infact those seem to be some of the more popular places to go so they are sought after.

This is correct. You do not SET UP your rotations...you review comments from students and evaluations on each rotation site and you SELECT what looks best for you. You submit what you want and THEY (Coordinators) set it up for you. Simple as that. It actually is fantastic. I get to chose where I want to go and can avoid places some people don't like. And fourth year is even better...you can basically rotate and work in wherever field/state you want. Excellent for making that final push for a residency slot. If you don't want FP...you can rotate the hell out of surgery etc. or whatever specialty you choose. Big advantage. One HUGE reason I chose DMU over AZCOM were the lecture hours. We are done at noon. Simple as that. Take it from me...time is money in medicine. Time to prepare for exams...drink...play golf...hang with family...sleep...study for boards...or do all at the same time. Just another option you have along with the new sim lab/anatomy lab/laptops/SPALs etc.
I chose DMU over AZCOM AND have 3 young children. I will remain in the Des Moines area my whole time here without really having to be away from my family. If you need specifics from someone who actually attends DMU...PM me and I'd be glad to help. Good luck with you selection. You really can't go wrong either way. It's just the little things that made the difference for me.

Des Moines' zoo has some pretty awesome animals....I'm sold

Anyone from AZCOM a huge supporter of AZCOM over DMU? I have a wife from AZ so I (and especially she) am leaning towards moving closer to family. And any other perspectives on the importance of close family to offer support while in medical school, huge asset or not that big of a deal (I know a lot is relative and depends on your family) but in general from a current students perspective.

Anyone from AZCOM a huge supporter of AZCOM over DMU? I have a wife from AZ so I (and especially she) am leaning towards moving closer to family. And any other perspectives on the importance of close family to offer support while in medical school, huge asset or not that big of a deal (I know a lot is relative and depends on your family) but in general from a current students perspective.

i never applied to DMU so i got nothing about them. but i picked AZCOM over UNECOM which is across the freakin country from my family....actually, its in a whole different country all together. anyways, my reasons:

- crazy great board scores for both the comlex and usmle's
- amazing location (i have intentions to go into sports med, so the networking possibilities should be amazing here)
- i hate small towns/rural areas/corn fields....lived in them for a long time, cant do it anymore!
- facilities are awesome.....really impressive/beautiful campus
- great support network from the faculty....open door policy seriously is open door policy
- every student i spoke to seems really happy there
- i want to set up my own rotations....i'm good at networking and making connections, so i want to go places i choose, not that are chosen for me
- Ki45yu is there (i'm not even sure if i said his SDN name right)....and he's awesome, so i know i'll be awesome too.....presuming his awesomeness rubs off on me

again, i have no knowledge of DMU. I didnt even look at IOWA cuz that is definitely someplace i dont want to live.

good luck wit the decision :p

I am a supporter of AZCOM, but feel Des Moines is a solid school too. Both have their solid points....it comes down to feel. Which one do you feel you would you feel most comfortable at?

I needed ethnic diversity, better weather, and more manageable rotations(for me) to go along with a great education....so I chose AZCOM.

For some, the cheaper tuition, better technology, and smaller city steered them towards DMU.

I am a supporter of AZCOM, but feel Des Moines is a solid school too. Both have their solid points....it comes down to feel. Which one do you feel you would you feel most comfortable at?

I needed ethnic diversity, better weather, and more manageable rotations(for me) to go along with a great education....so I chose AZCOM.

For some, the cheaper tuition, better technology, and smaller city steered them towards DMU.

see, didnt i tell you he's awesome lol

i never applied to DMU so i got nothing about them. but i picked AZCOM over UNECOM which is across the freakin country from my family....actually, its in a whole different country all together. anyways, my reasons:

- crazy great board scores for both the comlex and usmle's
- amazing location (i have intentions to go into sports med, so the networking possibilities should be amazing here)
- i hate small towns/rural areas/corn fields....lived in them for a long time, cant do it anymore!
- facilities are awesome.....really impressive/beautiful campus
- great support network from the faculty....open door policy seriously is open door policy
- every student i spoke to seems really happy there
- i want to set up my own rotations....i'm good at networking and making connections, so i want to go places i choose, not that are chosen for me
- Ki45yu is there (i'm not even sure if i said his SDN name right)....and he's awesome, so i know i'll be awesome too.....presuming his awesomeness rubs off on me

again, i have no knowledge of DMU. I didnt even look at IOWA cuz that is definitely someplace i dont want to live.

good luck wit the decision :p

the bolded sentence caught my eye....what about azcom makes it better for sports med than another DO school? just the fact there are professional sports teams in arizona? i am also interested in sports med.

i was planning on applying to the two arizona schools just b/c they are close to my home (southern CA), but i havent done thorough research on either of them yet. thanks!

the bolded sentence caught my eye....what about azcom makes it better for sports med than another DO school? just the fact there are professional sports teams in arizona? i am also interested in sports med.

i was planning on applying to the two arizona schools just b/c they are close to my home (southern CA), but i havent done thorough research on either of them yet. thanks!
For example, if you sign up to do it, you can do the physicals for the major league baseball teams that have their spring training in the Glendale/Phoenix area. 3 of our OMM docs also are sports med docs with the Rangers, da Brews, and one was with the Suns just to name a few.

Also, just last week, we did sports physicals for over 3,000 high school athletes from the community. It was good practice the week before our standardized patient final.

I am sure most programs have similar exposure experiences...its usually just a matter of the school or student body rallying to get those exposures in place.

haha, thanks for the compliment...truth of the matter is that it will only be an awesome school upon your arrival into the valley

azcom is a good school but their class increase scares me because i have seen the facilities and i personally don't think they have what it takes to do 250 students CURRENTLY. also, despite being a good school, their pricetag does not make up for it

azcom is a good school but their class increase scares me because i have seen the facilities and i personally don't think they have what it takes to do 250 students CURRENTLY. also, despite being a good school, their pricetag does not make up for it

This is largely how I feel. I withdrew my application to AZCOM a week before my interview. I saw no reason to fork over an additional 9k/yr (plus interest) and ended up accepted at DMU a couple of days later. Weather just isn't worth the price to me and I couldn't find anything else about the school to be better than DMU. This being the first year of a much larger class was a definite turnoff to me, and additionally, there is more elective time in year 4 at DMU.

haha, thanks for the compliment...truth of the matter is that it will only be an awesome school upon your arrival into the valley

I blush I blush
i've never lived in a "the valley" before. this will be very exciting for me.
and its true, i've been known to bring awesomeness wherever I go. In fact, they may just rename Glendale, the town of Awesome once we're thru with it!

and everyone worried about 250 students, well class size doesnt scare me. I thrive in competition and I love meeting new ppl. i'm no gunner, but if others are doing it, i'm making sure to be doing it right there with them.
its just more ppl, which will mean more alum down the road, which will mean networking......again, just my thoughts. :rolleyes:

I blush I blush
i've never lived in a "the valley" before. this will be very exciting for me.
and its true, i've been known to bring awesomeness wherever I go. In fact, they may just rename Glendale, the town of Awesome once we're thru with it!

and everyone worried about 250 students, well class size doesnt scare me. I thrive in competition and I love meeting new ppl. i'm no gunner, but if others are doing it, i'm making sure to be doing it right there with them.
its just more ppl, which will mean more alum down the road, which will mean networking......again, just my thoughts. :rolleyes:

doesn't that indirectly make you a gunner? there will undoubtedly be gunners in your class, which means youll be gunning right there with them...right?

doesn't that indirectly make you a gunner? there will undoubtedly be gunners in your class, which means youll be gunning right there with them...right?

i may seem gunner-ish in theory....
but would a gunner go to africa on her own and go white water rafting on the Nile.....twice? i think not.
i'm too awesome to be a gunner.........lol

i may seem gunner-ish in theory....
but would a gunner go to africa on her own and go white water rafting on the Nile.....twice? i think not.
i'm too awesome to be a gunner.........lol

dude i totally am young skywalker...... ive always wanted to go white water rafting!!!!

dude i totally am young skywalker...... ive always wanted to go white water rafting!!!!

you see?
follow in my footprints, i wont lead you astray lol

hows the school search going?
and sorry to the OP, this thread no longer has anything to do with DMU OR AZCOM......other than being awesome

you see?
follow in my footprints, i wont lead you astray lol

hows the school search going?
and sorry to the OP, this thread no longer has anything to do with DMU OR AZCOM......other than being awesome

im assuming the school search question was asked towards me? i dunno. anyways, im for sure applyin to western, touro-CA, AZCOM and ATSU-SOMA, DMU, and PCOM. i will probably pick some other DO schools to apply to. ive been lookin into PBL offered at LECOM. so well see

as far as MD, i am applying to all the UCs and thats probably it.

im assuming the school search question was asked towards me? i dunno. anyways, im for sure applyin to western, touro-CA, both AZ schools, DMU, and PCOM. i will probably pick some other DO schools to apply to. ive been lookin into PBL offered at LECOM. so well see

as far as MD, i am applying to all the UCs and thats probably it.

yes it was aimed toward you.
good choice of schools. i had a lot of PBL in my undergrad (my university - McMaster - is one of the first schools that started it.....ever) and i really enjoyed it. but theres no way i can do med school with that kind of teaching. i cant spend THAT much time with my nose in a book. i need lectures....otherwise i think EVERYTHING is important.

good luck!

yes it was aimed toward you.
good choice of schools. i had a lot of PBL in my undergrad (my university - McMaster - is one of the first schools that started it.....ever) and i really enjoyed it. but theres no way i can do med school with that kind of teaching. i cant spend THAT much time with my nose in a book. i need lectures....otherwise i think EVERYTHING is important.

good luck!

dude, we are even online at the same time...... i'd think of a reference to star wars that realtes to this but i dont know anything about the movies so i can not :mad: