DMU vs AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seap3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm driving myself crazy with this decision. I know there are a few other threads about this, but they are old and things have changed since then, especially regarding the rotations at AZCOM.

Here's where I am right now, but I'd like to hear from others. I only got to spend a short time at each campus/city.

AZCOM
PROS:
-1st interview - had a great feeling there
-loved the campus & faculty, staff was very friendly & helpful through the whole process
-my family (husband & 3 kids) would prefer to live in AZ
-cheap cheap housing
-board scores
-ability to stay in 1 place for all 4 yrs (if Dr. Speicher gets back to us about our rotation choices soon)
-weather - I seem to have a more positive attitude when it's sunny

CONS:
-tuition
-perhaps doesn't have the reputation DMU has? Not sure about this though.

DMU
PROS:
-tuition
-laptop & recorded lectures
-I know some alumni who graduated from DMU - they might not like it if I choose somewhere else. :laugh: really only kidding about this

CONS:
-family not as excited about Des Moines
-not as good housing options
-weather
-possibly have to move for 3rd & 4th yr, not sure, but it sounds like there is also the possibility of some short term moves too. I probably would like to avoid this since I have a family.
-This interview was 3 days after AZCOM interview, and I honestly thought during the day that I preferred AZCOM. Although that could have been due to my exhaustion from driving 11 hrs the day after flying back from AZ.

So what does everyone think. I ask my family, classmates, instructors and get different answers. I thought maybe other premeds or med students could give a different perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

It already sounds like you are leaning towards AZCOM. I think both schools will give you a proper education but if your family and being settled are important to you than DMU is not.

Members don't see this ad :)
if your kids and husband like AZ more than IA, you will enjoy yourself more in AZ and be a better student for it. Des Moines also has some amazingly cheap housing btw, but I might just be saying that since I am from Mas$achu$ett$. you seem to like AZCOM more. it looks like you will be happy there and so will your family. isn't that what life is all about?

What I kept reading from you post was: I WANT TO GO TO AZCOM!

tuition < family happiness

It's going to be a strain on them already, it might as well be a strain in a place where they'll be happier and, as suggested, you'll be happier.