DMU vs CCOM - Cost of Attendance Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NghtSky04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've read some past DMU vs. CCOM threads but I wanted some specific feedback for my situation.

I have an acceptance for both schools and I am having a hell of a time deciding which school to go to.

What attracts me to CCOM is Chicago (although the first 2 years are in downers grove) and perhaps being able to do a residency in Chicago afterwards. Chicago is an amazing city and having never lived in a big city, I feel like this is my one chance to really experience living in a world-class metropolis. However, the cost of attendance is absolutely insane at CCOM. 4 years might set me back $350,000 if I believe the figures on the website.

DMU on the other hand will set me back $280,000 and after talking to a few students, it seems that the number on the website is overstated (makes sense especially considering how cheap Des Moines is). So I am looking at a savings of at least $70,000 (if not more). Overall, I had a great experience at DMU as well. The campus and facilities were great and the students seemed incredibly happy. Overall, I know DMU would be a great fit for me along with CCOM.

Ultimately, the two schools have very different atmosphere/vibes and strengths and there are so many more things I need to consider. Nevertheless, I am just hung up on the costs as of now. That number is so intimidating that I can't really look past it and consider other aspects of both schools. As a result, the main question I am asking is that am I placing too much importance on $70,000 (more if in you include interest)? 280k vs 350k are both insanely high numbers, so a part of me thinks I should just go with what is cheaper and forget the rest.

If you guys have insight into the cost of attendance and debt burden, I would love to hear more about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Both are great schools. I vote go DMU, is living in a big city worth an extra 70k in debt? Med school is only 4 years, you can apply for residencies near Chicago.

CCOM is one of the most expensive DO schools and DMU is one of the cheapest.

They are both great schools and unless you have a really strong reason to attend CCOM I would lean towards DMU. Look into how many people matched in Chicago in past years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Save your money. You have the rest of your life after med school to choose to live in a city if you want. It's not like this is your only chance.

While Des Moines is no Chicago, I think you will be surprised by the city. It's not terribly big but it isn't small either. I think its around 300,000 people and there is plenty to do.

Ultimately, the two schools have very different atmosphere/vibes and strengths and there are so many more things I need to consider. Nevertheless, I am just hung up on the costs as of now. That number is so intimidating that I can't really look past it and consider other aspects of both schools. As a result, the main question I am asking is that am I placing too much importance on $70,000 (more if in you include interest)? 280k vs 350k are both insanely high numbers, so a part of me thinks I should just go with what is cheaper and forget the rest.

With the salary you'd be making as a physician with decent federal repayment programs like IBR and PSLF (<well, don't completely count on PSLF because the rules keep changing...) and good budgeting skills, its completely reasonable to pay off any debt. The monthly payments you'd make in the future between $280k and $350k really wont make a significant difference... That being said, your choice in school needs to be what fits your wants and needs.

Money SHOULD be a deciding factor, but only if your other priorities (programs, faculty, location) are things you can get excited about. Residency >> Med school, and both are great schools, so you can't go wrong... good luck!

It is a staggering amount of money CCOM asks for and unwarranted if you ask me, esp the rise in tuition each year, BUT I still chose it over DMU. I know you mentioned wanting to live in Chicago, but Downers Grove is pretty far out there (you can see the skyline of Chicago from the Anatomy lab) and so I highly doubt you will enjoy any of the hectic life of Chi. I liked Des Moines, it had a friendly feel to it and it actually reminded me of the suburbs around here... Dont worry about the difference of 70k, go with the school that will give you the best opportunity to succeed past your competitors, and one that doesn't require you to travel around the nation during 3 and 4 year, just saying. Both schools are amazing, I still have second thoughts about if I made the right decision. I will let you know in a decade....

DMU without a question. A degree from then won't stop you from getting a Chicago residency.

Reactions: 1 user
DMU hands down... That 350k price tag for CCOM is OUTRAGEOUS!

Hey guys, I've read some past DMU vs. CCOM threads but I wanted some specific feedback for my situation.

I have an acceptance for both schools and I am having a hell of a time deciding which school to go to.

What attracts me to CCOM is Chicago (although the first 2 years are in downers grove) and perhaps being able to do a residency in Chicago afterwards. Chicago is an amazing city and having never lived in a big city, I feel like this is my one chance to really experience living in a world-class metropolis. However, the cost of attendance is absolutely insane at CCOM. 4 years might set me back $350,000 if I believe the figures on the website.

DMU on the other hand will set me back $280,000 and after talking to a few students, it seems that the number on the website is overstated (makes sense especially considering how cheap Des Moines is). So I am looking at a savings of at least $70,000 (if not more). Overall, I had a great experience at DMU as well. The campus and facilities were great and the students seemed incredibly happy. Overall, I know DMU would be a great fit for me along with CCOM.

If you guys have insight into the cost of attendance and debt burden, I would love to hear more about it.

Why does CCOM cost $350,000 ? Isn't their tuition ~50K/ year? Is 350K including living expenses?

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU.

And just for the record Des Moines is half a million people. It's not Chicago, but it's not bum truck nowhere.

60k in tuition for CCOM. Holy crap.

That's just des moines. When you include the surrounding suburbs it gets to 500k

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Moines_metropolitan_area
Sort of random but this is sort of the idea with UNECOM too... I remember looking up UNECOM and being like "I love the school, but there is just not enough people." Broaden your search to even 10 mile radius around the city and you double your population. This is also a big deal for CUSOM too... within a 30 minute drive is like half a million people...

Why does CCOM cost $350,000 ? Isn't their tuition ~50K/ year? Is 350K including living expenses?
That's actually a conservative estimate. Reality is that interest will pile up during med school and residency. Expect it to balloon to 600k when it's all set and done.

Does CCOM give out any scholarships?

That's actually a conservative estimate. Reality is that interest will pile up during med school and residency. Expect it to balloon to 600k when it's all set and done.

I wonder what would the monthly payment be like for such a crazy loan amount....

Last edited:
I wonder what would the monthly payment be like for such a crazy loan amount....
IBR IBR IBR

Also factor in relentless 5% tuition increases, steep cost of living, and interest rates. $400k is more realistic.

Sort of random but this is sort of the idea with UNECOM too... I remember looking up UNECOM and being like "I love the school, but there is just not enough people." Broaden your search to even 10 mile radius around the city and you double your population. This is also a big deal for CUSOM too... within a 30 minute drive is like half a million people...
That's one thing I liked about CUSOM though. The Lillington/Buies Creek area is pretty peaceful. Drive 20 minutes North, and you find Fuquay-Varina, a really cool little town. Drive 20 more minutes and you're in Raleigh.

IBR IBR IBR

I look into the IBR and it says that one should pay 15% of its income... I remember seeing somewhere that it is 10%. Also, they don't not specify if that percentage is from your gross or net pay.

I look into the IBR and it says that one should pay 15% of its income... I remember seeing somewhere that it is 10%. Also, they don't not specify if that percentage is from your gross or net pay.
well the new proposal is to do away with current IBR plans for new borrowers, and only offer one for new borrowers (or old borrowers who want to switch)--that caps repayment at 10% of adjusted gross income and offers tax-free forgiveness after 25 years.

well the new proposal is to do away with current IBR plans for new borrowers, and only offer one for new borrowers (or old borrowers who want to switch)--that caps repayment at 10% of adjusted gross income and offers tax-free forgiveness after 25 years.
That stuff wont work for me... My school overall COA is about 230k... Let say I will make 200k as a physician. %10 of my gross salary will be 20k/year,. I will pay back 500k in 25 years.

Glad you made this thread, I'm in the same situation and paid my deposits to both schools (well only half at DMU so far). I love the city, but I really can't justify the tuition of CCOM, and I think I'd likely be just as happy at DMU. You can fly to Chicago whenever you want with all the money you'd save.

Glad you made this thread, I'm in the same situation and paid my deposits to both schools (well only half at DMU so far). I love the city, but I really can't justify the tuition of CCOM, and I think I'd likely be just as happy at DMU. You can fly to Chicago whenever you want with all the money you'd save.
Why fly when the megabus will take you from Des Moines to Chicago for less than $30 both ways!

nvm

Last edited:
Thank you for all the input guys, didn't expect so many people to respond.

After a lot of thought, I am leaning towards DMU. I am not too sure if I can justify the tuition of CCOM (like someone mentioned earlier), especially considering I would be more than happy at DMU. The numbers get very scary when I include tuition increases/interest. More importantly, now that I think about it, I don't have a compelling enough reason to choose one school over the other (I love both) so it makes sense to leave school with less debt.

Still got to research more into it, nevertheless, I won't take the cost difference lightly.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on that?

If you take out loans to pay for school, they're almost certainly going to be government loans. These are repaid based on how much you make over a period of 10 years. So residents don't actually make any money and you're going to be making a lot of payments for close to $0 for a good portion of your repayment period. Just don't do something idiotic like work for a for-profit hospital or do something else that would disqualify you from the "moral hazard" of affordable education

When I was interviewed at CCOM, according to their package, tuition was like $57k. Almost $3k increase... I really like CCOM, the program and the people there, but tuition is so horrible.

When I was interviewed at CCOM, according to their package, tuition was like $57k. Almost $3k increase... I really like CCOM, the program and the people there, but tuition is so horrible.

KCUMB is like $43-44k now, DMU is $44k, CCOM and AZCOM are closing in at $60k.

That $30k at LECOM is looking more and more attractive.

COCA should require schools to publish all 4 years of tuition/fee costs by THE FIRST DAY of the application cycle. For the class of 2019 for example, schools should be required to post this information on June 1, 2014.

It is not right that schools can just say "subject to change", wait until the summer to announce their 10% tuition increase for the coming year, and leave students (who cannot just quit or transfer) holding the bag.

Any med student (including myself) will tell you it's a no brainer. Both high quality schools so why would you pay SO much more for the same thing? If the grocery store was selling the EXACT same cut of beef for the same quality of meat as the butcher down the street, but charging twice as much, would you go to the grocery store because it's a big store so you want to experience it? Or maybe you could go to the butcher then visit the big store later and save yourself loads of money. I'd save the money every time.

Any med student (including myself) will tell you it's a no brainer. Both high quality schools so why would you pay SO much more for the same thing? If the grocery store was selling the EXACT same cut of beef for the same quality of meat as the butcher down the street, but charging twice as much, would you go to the grocery store because it's a big store so you want to experience it? Or maybe you could go to the butcher then visit the big store later and save yourself loads of money. I'd save the money every time.
Now this is a Ron Swanson type of post haha.... well done, well done

As much as I agree with everyone here that the tuition is absurdly high for CCOM, I still feel its a superior choice for the right student. If one wants to continue their training/career in the Chicago area there is no doubt most hospitals know of CCOM far more than DMU. Check various residency/fellowship lists and you will see for every DMU grad there are 2-3 from CCOM. Also, it might just be me but I dreaded the possibility of having to move around during 3-4 year, which maybe the administration at CCOM sees as a justification for the tuition. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how much they can keep hiking it up before applications will start to slow their pace.

As much as I agree with everyone here that the tuition is absurdly high for CCOM, I still feel its a superior choice for the right student. If one wants to continue their training/career in the Chicago area there is no doubt most hospitals know of CCOM far more than DMU. Check various residency/fellowship lists and you will see for every DMU grad there are 2-3 from CCOM. Also, it might just be me but I dreaded the possibility of having to move around during 3-4 year, which maybe the administration at CCOM sees as a justification for the tuition. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how much they can keep hiking it up before applications will start to slow their pace.

What about AZCOM?

Listen to the advice given so far.

I graduated for CCOM. Went there due to GF (now wife) was based out of Chicago for work and out of ignorance to student loans. I matched into a good allopathic EM program but with little help from CCOM. I have written a review of the school about 2-3 years ago so for specifics when I went there you can go to that post, but go to DMU. At my residency, there are two other DOs from DMU. DMU is a great school and the cost should matter more to premeds than it does.

CCOM had instate tuition (saved 3K/year) when I started, but my tuition back in 2008 was 42K, now its pushing 60K, almost 20K in six years!!! COA will easily be 80-90K/year depending on if you are married or living with SO/parents. Now people there will just say don't worry do IBR/PAYE or you will be a doctor and be able to pay off the loans. This is poor advice. Student loans at 7% (at best) could be a burden for the rest of your life. 70K in savings could balloon up to over 150K with interest over life of the loan.

DMU at 280K is about what I came out with from CCOM. I have a spouse who makes more than me. NO credit card debt, no auto loans, no other debt and our IBR for R2 salary plus CPA salary is 800/month, will go up to 1200/month next year. Some will say well why don't you just file separately but then you can't do Roth IRAs for you or your spouse, which I think is more important at this point. My debt while paying IBR every month of residency after forgiveness period has gone up 15K. I have paid about 8000-10000K in interest and it still has gone up to 306K. By the time I graduate it will be pushing 315K month at 7%. Monthly payments will be pushing 3500K/month with 10 year repayment. If you want it gone in 5 or less expect to pay 5k plus in just loan payments.

You go to CCOM expect that tuition to go up to close to 70K before you graduate, that 350 easily becomes 400K. Add in residency and it goes up to close 500K. That is backbreaking debt. I mean 4-6k/month if you want to pay it off in reasonable amount of time. If you don't make min 300k/year you will be living off less than 100k for years. Plus living expenses, car payments, mortgage, kids....it all adds up fast. CCOM has terrible FA dept and advice. They just say you will be a doctor and should be able to pay it off...and then keep raising their tuition.

Also don't expect PAYE/IBR to be there when you need it. Plus that depends on where and what speciality you work in. These unknowns will not be answered until its too late. DONT GO TO CCOM. Save your 150K and go to DMU. Great school, great match list, and save a ton of money. People that go to CCOM for reasons other than (its the only school they could get into or if they have family/SO/spouse that doesn't want to move) are just lying to themselves. The big city or lifestyle isn't worth placing yourself in a precarious financial situation for the rest of your life. Trust me go to DMU.

Reactions: 1 users
Also don't expect PAYE/IBR to be there when you need it.

This is what is scary.

However, I heard somewhere that since the PAYE/IBR is mentioned in the promissory note, that it cannot be taken away. But I wasn't sure.

You should go where you will be most happy, medical school is a stressful and difficult endeavor, you are best going to an environment where you will be happy. If you like Chicago more than Des Moines, even if you are going to pay more money, you would be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

You should go where you will be most happy, medical school is a stressful and difficult endeavor, you are best going to an environment where you will be happy. If you like Chicago more than Des Moines, even if you are going to pay more money, you would be doing yourself a favor in the long run.
I respectfully disagree. School is demanding enough you won't hardly know the difference of living big city or not (but your wallet will). You can set up elective rotations in Chicago if it's that important to you. You could go to DMU, pay for airfare to spend all your vacations in Chicago, and it'll cost you way less than if you lived there and went to CCOM.

Reactions: 2 users
I respectfully disagree. School is demanding enough you won't hardly know the difference of living big city or not (but your wallet will). You can set up elective rotations in Chicago if it's that important to you. You could go to DMU, pay for airfare to spend all your vacations in Chicago, and it'll cost you way less than if you lived there and went to CCOM.
I second this

I disagree with your statement. I knew a student from Hawaii who went to my undergraduate school, and she left after the first year to transfer to a school in Hawaii, she wound up doing better there.

Environmental factors can make a difference in how a student performs. School is stressful, some people might like Chicago, and others might not. Having things like family and friends can help you a lot in a stressful experience like medical school.

Reactions: 1 users