DMU vs. CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medfool24

A-Squared
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find any current threads on this topic, but I'd like input from you guys on this. I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to both for this fall.

Factors for me to consider:

-I grew up in Downers Grove and my family still lives in Illinois.
-Des Moines is not too far, but still 6-7 hours away.

My impressions:
-I really liked DMU's facilities, including the simulation lab and surgical skills lab.
-CCOM didn't really wow me with anything.
-CCOM's match list and rotation sites seem to be better than DMU's. I'd like to get an MD residency and I think CCOM has a higher rate of that.

Tuition at CCOM is more than DMU.

What else should I be considering?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe there was a thread on here a few months ago about someone wondering if it was better to have a support system in the area or if it was better to get away from what could possible be distrations.

That would probably be a good thread to look for and think over as you are in the position to have family very close by. Would you save money by living with family if you went to CCOM?

Have you looked at how each school plans out electives/audition rotations? What about curriculum? Testing schedule?

Those are just a few things to consider when making this kind of decision. Good Luck!

Thanks for your input.

The information on the previous thread wasn't much, but thanks anyway :).