DDM1

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2004
Status
Hi Everyone, this is my first posting on SDN. I have been around for awhile but haven't had anything worthwhile to post. I was hoping some of you could tell me your thoughts on a choiice I have coming up. I have been accepted to DMU and LECOM and I truly am having a hard time deciding. Doe anyone have any thoughts about which school they like better and why. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks. :)

Doc2B-Finally

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
Status
Search SDN for LECOM vs. other DO school comparisions. I myself had posted LECOM vs. NYCOM comparision.
Good luck.

robo77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
Your decision to attend either of the two schools is personal, and is based on many factors. I also have been accepted to both schools and ultimately chose DMU because I felt that it is a more mature and a more established place. DMU has a good reputation, nice facilites where students can go to the gym, study in a new built student center and we also get a laptop which is included in the tuition. On the other hand LECOM's tuition is cheaper by about 5K per year.

DDM1 said:
Hi Everyone, this is my first posting on SDN. I have been around for awhile but haven't had anything worthwhile to post. I was hoping some of you could tell me your thoughts on a choiice I have coming up. I have been accepted to DMU and LECOM and I truly am having a hard time deciding. Doe anyone have any thoughts about which school they like better and why. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks. :)

Karmajunkie

Dude here.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Des Moines, IA
Status
I can't speak to LECOM but I'm at DMU and I love it. The environment is excellent in that both students and faculty generally maintain a positive demeanor which makes life a lot easier. After all, I practically live there so I can't imagine how it would be if people were not so amiable. But anyone that tells you that there school is perfect is full of it. Each school is bound to have nuances due to different faculty and what not. Our program has very strong OMM, phys, and pharm departments while our Behavioral med dept is not the strongest.

This just scratches the surface though really. You should consider where your loved ones are, where you would most like to live, which school is stronger in your field of interest, which school will make it easier for you to rotate and in turn find a residency where you eventually want to end up. In the end though I think you just have to trust your gut.

Good luck.

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
The tip of America's wang
Visit site
Status
Hmmm... Bum F*ck, Pennsylvania or IOWA :laugh:

Just kidding. I was impressed with LECOM, but it was too close my home town in Ohio.

Don't you hate it when you're on vacation and people confuse Ohio with Iowa? "No, I'm from the other totally lame state!"

NS

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
DDM1 said:
DMU hands down. The campus and location are nicer, there is no dresscode at DMU, great OMM department, awesomely friendly staff (as opposed to the book of rules at LECOM!!!)

I'm not trying to be offending to LECOM, but I can't believe you are even asking this question. Unless you have family nearby Erie or something keeping you there, go to DMU.

sfrduder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
yposhelley said:
DMU hands down. The campus and location are nicer, there is no dresscode at DMU, great OMM department, awesomely friendly staff (as opposed to the book of rules at LECOM!!!)

I'm not trying to be offending to LECOM, but I can't believe you are even asking this question. Unless you have family nearby Erie or something keeping you there, go to DMU.

I do not think the previous posters post is a proper assesment of either school, and is solely opinion with out any basis.

I was impressed with LECOM, since they have an agressive and early program thats allows its students to have exposure to clinical work within the first year. Also they had an impressive list of hospitals to choose from for your third year rotations.

As for the dress code, I like the idea because it shows that they want there students to conduct themselves in a clean, professional manner throughout there medical career (begining with the first day of classes). I think its a good overall presentation.

Also after talking with some residency program coordinators that accept third years from LECOM, UNECOM (primarly UNECOM), and NYCOM. I was told that the LECOM students handled themselves very professionally and significantly more prepared as a result of there previous clinical experiences.

Finally the school has shown considerable concern for their students performance on the Boards and has even hired KAPLAN to come to the school to instruct ALL of there students.

Sure it is a young school (est 1992) but their program is as agressive and established as some schools that have been around for the past 30-40 years (and some of these schools have significant administration problems).

Talk to students from both schools and go where you feel most comfortable.
As for myself I'm deceiding between PCOM and LECOM.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
sfrduder said:
I do not think the previous posters post is a proper assesment of either school, and is solely opinion with out any basis.

I was impressed with LECOM, since they have an agressive and early program thats allows its students to have exposure to clinical work within the first year. Also they had an impressive list of hospitals to choose from for your third year rotations.

As for the dress code, I like the idea because it shows that they want there students to conduct themselves in a clean, professional manner throughout there medical career (begining with the first day of classes). I think its a good overall presentation.

Also after talking with some residency program coordinators that accept third years from LECOM, UNECOM (primarly UNECOM), and NYCOM. I was told that the LECOM students handled themselves very professionally and significantly more prepared as a result of there previous clinical experiences.

Finally the school has shown considerable concern for their students performance on the Boards and has even hired KAPLAN to come to the school to instruct ALL of there students.

Sure it is a young school (est 1992) but their program is as agressive and established as some schools that have been around for the past 30-40 years (and some of these schools have significant administration problems).

Talk to students from both schools and go where you feel most comfortable.
As for myself I'm deceiding between PCOM and LECOM.
Ummm...actually I interviewed at both schools, and researched each school quite thoroughly. As I said, I meant no disrespect towards LECOM and I didn't make any disparaging comments towards the quality of education you would get at LECOM (I'm sure its top notch). This is simply a matter of opinion-Given the choice between DMU and LECOM, I would choose DMU. I don't like being disciplined, and I certainly don't need to be told how to dress professionally. As a previous poster mentioned, they check up on you from cameras in the halls to make sure you are wearing the proper attire, not eating...etc...
If you don't mind a school environment that is a little more strict and also enforces rules that most other schools don't have, and you like the other things that LECOM and its location have to offer, then it might be a good school for you.

BTW-DMU also hires an outside source to come in and prep the students for the COMLEX-the students get to vote on who they want. And, their gym is nice and spacious, with TVs and headphones attached to the cardiovascular machines. Their facilities were nicer than all the schools I interviewed at. :thumbup:

robo77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
How is this even a choice? Unless you have loved ones or family near Erie, why would you choose this school over DMU? Lake Erie is a school that consists of ONE builiding, facilities are just crap there. On the other hand, DMU is building a beautiful student center that will have a gym, cafeteria, class rooms, and a place where students can congragate to study or to relax. Their OMM department is numero uno in the country.

yposhelley said:
Ummm...actually I interviewed at both schools, and researched each school quite thoroughly. As I said, I meant no disrespect towards LECOM and I didn't make any disparaging comments towards the quality of education you would get at LECOM (I'm sure its top notch). This is simply a matter of opinion-Given the choice between DMU and LECOM, I would choose DMU. I don't like being disciplined, and I certainly don't need to be told how to dress professionally. As a previous poster mentioned, they check up on you from cameras in the halls to make sure you are wearing the proper attire, not eating...etc...
If you don't mind a school environment that is a little more strict and also enforces rules that most other schools don't have, and you like the other things that LECOM and its location have to offer, then it might be a good school for you.

BTW-DMU also hires an outside source to come in and prep the students for the COMLEX-the students get to vote on who they want. And, their gym is nice and spacious, with TVs and headphones attached to the cardiovascular machines. Their facilities were nicer than all the schools I interviewed at. :thumbup:

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2002
Not on the Beach
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I absolutely hated LECOM when I interviewed there. I'm not makeing any judgements about the school acedemically, however I am makeing one on it's environment.

For me it very confinig and stiffiling. There were four guys in my interview group and some how we all managed to be in the bathroom all at once and we came to the conclusion that we would not go there if it were the only school we were admitted to.

This is just me, others might actually enjoy and thrive in this kind of environment, I do not. I dont like being dictated to and I certinally dont need to be treated like some kid in Juvy.

Ultimately in the end both schools are going to meet the minium requirements to make you a physician, what you need to ask your self (the OP) is what extra things do the schools offer in addition the bare minimus, and what do these extras mean to you, then pick the school that best fits your needs and desires.

Ultimately the desicion of which school is "better" can only be anwserd by you. If you have a gut feeling that pushes you toward one school over the other I'd go with it.

DOPEDERSON

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Iowa City
Status
It has always been a life goal of my to go to medical school, as well as go to prison. If I had known that I could do both at the same time I would have considered LECOM. Cameras to check if you are eating? Does the CIA run the school? Are you f-ing kidding me? Do you have to wake up at dawn for roll call too? Seriously, who at this point in their life needs that kind of belittlement? I understand the dress code, makes perfect sense, I even understand the attendance rules. But who in their right mind would pay to go to a place like that? You can take your aggressive education and put it were the sun don't shine, if I have to bring my soap on a rope I am not going to go to school at LECOM

P.S. I know nothing more about LECOM as a school other than what was posted above. Today is Friday and this is my poor attempt to humor myself at work. From what I know if you are choosing between these two schools you should go to LECOM; because I really do not want to hang out at DMU with people that are uptight. PEACE

eldarion3141

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Pa
Visit site
Status
what happens if they "catch" you on camera with a bottle of aquafina?

I heard from LECOM students when I visited there that although the administrators would rather have you use the classroom instead of skipping out and going to the gym, there isn't that big of a deal if you have a bottle of water ie, they aren't going to take you and throw you out in the snow. That rule is there so that coffee or pop is not spilled on the internet hook-ups that are at every desk.

OP
D

DDM1

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2004
Status
:D Thanks everyone for all of your responses. I am sure that I would get a good education at both LECOM and DMU. It is encouraging to see future physicians writing with such enthusiasim about their schools and programs. I have however, chosen DMU. I sent in my first deposit today and I feel really good that the decision is made. I am writing LECOM and KCOM to turn down offers of acceptance, today. Thank you all so much for your advice and good luck to all of you in medical school. :D

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
robo77 said:
How is this even a choice? Unless you have loved ones or family near Erie, why would you choose this school over DMU? Lake Erie is a school that consists of ONE builiding, facilities are just crap there. On the other hand, DMU is building a beautiful student center that will have a gym, cafeteria, class rooms, and a place where students can congragate to study or to relax. Their OMM department is numero uno in the country.
:laugh: Well, I was trying to say the same thing in a more respectful way. You know you don't want to put down other's choice of school. However OP asked for our opinion, so its interesting to see that I'm not the only one with those thoughts...

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
DDM1 said:
:D Thanks everyone for all of your responses. I am sure that I would get a good education at both LECOM and DMU. It is encouraging to see future physicians writing with such enthusiasim about their schools and programs. I have however, chosen DMU. I sent in my first deposit today and I feel really good that the decision is made. I am writing LECOM and KCOM to turn down offers of acceptance, today. Thank you all so much for your advice and good luck to all of you in medical school. :D
Congrats! :luck:

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
DOPEDERSON said:
From what I know if you are choosing between these two schools you should go to LECOM; because I really do not want to hang out at DMU with people that are uptight. PEACE
Of course you mean the other way around...

sfrduder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
yposhelley said:
Of course you mean the other way around...

Man, DMU people are uptight or atleast the 2009 entering class on sdn.

Alot of what you guys are saying are really exagerations, and I wouldnt take your opinion seriously unless you had actually completed a year at LECOM.

sfrduder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
sfrduder said:
Man, DMU people are uptight or atleast the 2009 entering class on sdn.

Alot of what you guys are saying are really exagerations, and I wouldnt take your opinion seriously unless you had actually completed a year at LECOM.

If DMU was such a better school i think it would have been more helpful for everyone to say what makes DMU such a good school and contributes to the quality education then trying to make LECOM look sooo bad.

Its kind of pathetic to see these students taking that approach, and makes me wonder if there are some a insecurity issue among these guys.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
sfrduder said:
If DMU was such a better school i think it would have been more helpful for everyone to say what makes DMU such a good school and contributes to the quality education then trying to make LECOM look sooo bad.

Its kind of pathetic to see these students taking that approach, and makes me wonder if there are some a insecurity issue among these guys.
Well...this discussion is moot now since the OP already made his final decision and put down a deposit for DMU.

However-the original post asked for opinions on both schools. A lot of people apparently had a bad impression of LECOM. People also stated what they liked/disliked about each school. It would be more helpful for you to state an alternative view of LECOM and refrain from accusing others of having insecurity issues (and being uptight) for stating their honest opinions. If anything, it shows you may have some insecurity/uptightness about your possible future choice of school. Sorry, but thats how it seems.

Oh, and just so you know-I'm not DMU Class of 2009.

sfrduder

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
yposhelley said:
Well...this discussion is moot now since the OP already made his final decision and put down a deposit for DMU.

However-the original post asked for opinions on both schools. A lot of people apparently had a bad impression of LECOM. People also stated what they liked/disliked about each school. It would be more helpful for you to state an alternative view of LECOM and refrain from accusing others of having insecurity issues (and being uptight) for stating their honest opinions. If anything, it shows you may have some insecurity/uptightness about your possible future choice of school. Sorry, but thats how it seems.

Oh, and just so you know-I'm not DMU Class of 2009.

lol, i'm asking you or someone else to tell me about DMU (like specifics).

"DMU hands down" doesn't say much. For me, simply saying LECOM is too strict doesnt reflect on them acedemically or on the quality of education.

plus it thinks its pretty short minded to say "I'm not trying to be offending to LECOM, but I can't believe you are even asking this question. Unless you have family nearby Erie or something keeping you there, go to DMU."

What is your basis? I think its a valid question to compare the two schools, and this topic should be an informative one that assists other readers as well. Both schools have something to offer, different approaches to education, and those facts should be exposed.

robo77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
Well,

Lets compare the two schools. I interviewed at both and was accepted at both, and so wethout attending either I am just going to speak of overall impressions that I got while visiting. DMU is an older, and seemingly more established school that offers several graduate level programs such as MPH, PHA, Doctor of podiatry, DO, PA, and few others. LECOM offers only 2 or 3 programs I believe. What do you get for your money? Both schools will give you DO after you bust your ass for several years and pass all the requirements, but DMU offers a very nice student center, a very nice gym, laptop and a PDA, very nicely located near many apartments that are nice, and some of them are provided with free wireless internet for DMU students. There is a clinic on campus at DMU. The OMM department at DMU is one of the best if not the best in the country.

LECOM I am sure also has some nice things to its name, but they are so hard to see when interviewing there. My personal interview experience there for just bad, after I drove into lake erie it took me a whole six pack of their local piss beer just to come down. the place is grey, the lake is grey, and the school is grey. The school is a ONE building wonder that is full of people who wear different color badges to tell apart who is a pharmacy student and who is a DO. There is no wireless internet, cafeteria foos SUCKED, our guide told us that Red Top or whatever that guy is called came into town for a gig and that was a big hit...that ugly red haired prick, what kind of hit is that, every time he comes on TV I change the channel.

anyways, LECOM in my opinion needs to invest some money into their existing facilities instead of buying up hot dog stand type operations in bradenton.

sfrduder said:

"DMU hands down" doesn't say much. For me, simply saying LECOM is too strict doesnt reflect on them acedemically or on the quality of education.

plus it thinks its pretty short minded to say "I'm not trying to be offending to LECOM, but I can't believe you are even asking this question. Unless you have family nearby Erie or something keeping you there, go to DMU."

What is your basis? I think its a valid question to compare the two schools, and this topic should be an informative one that assists other readers as well. Both schools have something to offer, different approaches to education, and those facts should be exposed.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
sfrduder said:

:laugh: Shortminded? I mentioned several times what I didn't like about LECOM and what I did like about DMU-feel free to go back and reread.

yposhelley said:
Ironically, they were the same things that many other people have mentioned they didn't like about LECOM. You can call that a coinincidence and keep on believing that everyone else is closeminded and you are the only one who truly sees things from all angles, but that would make me laugh too hard, and my sides already hurt. Listen, good luck with your choice. If you choose LECOM, I hope you can learn to talk about why you like your school without criticizing others for their opinions. It just makes us all want to go there less... :thumbdown:

allendo

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
Status
I will be attending Lecom.. I found the environment sterile but hey were going to be doctors. I chose the school b/c of the area and they way they made me feel in the interview. Go where you will be more comfortable, it really all falls back on you how far you go with your career. I don't mind the dress code at Lecom b/c I'm a teacher right now and have to dress professional everyday. The town of Erie is large but has that small town feel, and the cost of living is very reasonable. I believe that Lecom just focuses on making you a doctor and not on the piss ant things.