DMU vs. NSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Class of 2010 or below and those acccepted to the class of 2011! -

I've done a whole lot of research on both of these schools. You've probably seen me asking endless questions all over pre-osteo. Well, I'm having difficulty deciding between these two schools. I've tried to be objective and created both an Excel spreadsheet and a Word spreadsheet comparing the two schools, but at the end my tallied numbers came up identical. If anyone could provide any insight I would be most grateful!

This may be more directed towards students of DMU or NSU or individuals who had a decision between DMU or NSU. All comments are welcome though. Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've done a whole lot of research on both of these schools. You've probably seen me asking endless questions all over pre-osteo. Well, I'm having difficulty deciding between these two schools. I've tried to be objective and created both an Excel spreadsheet and a Word spreadsheet comparing the two schools, but at the end my tallied numbers came up identical. If anyone could provide any insight I would be most grateful!

This may be more directed towards students of DMU or NSU or individuals who had a decision between DMU or NSU. All comments are welcome though. Thanks in advance! :)

If your numbers are coming up identical when comparing schools, then go with the intangibles i.e. the "gut feeling" that you get when you think of DMU or NSU. Money is something to consider I guess - you'll save more money in the long run by going to a school with cheaper tuition and lower cost of living. If family is important to you, then distance from family is a consideration. PBL, systems based, traditional curriculum - which one suits you better?

These are all things to consider when making a decision. Just be thankful that you get to make a choice like this... some people only get in one place and have no other choice! I would venture a guess that these are the people that are more unhappy with their schools than those who had the "pick of the litter..."

Take a look at the DMU vs KCOM thread for discussion ad nauseum on this topic... Congrats on your acceptances and good luck in the future.

If your numbers are coming up identical when comparing schools, then go with the intangibles i.e. the "gut feeling" that you get when you think of DMU or NSU. Money is something to consider I guess - you'll save more money in the long run by going to a school with cheaper tuition and lower cost of living. If family is important to you, then distance from family is a consideration. PBL, systems based, traditional curriculum - which one suits you better?

These are all things to consider when making a decision. Just be thankful that you get to make a choice like this... some people only get in one place and have no other choice! I would venture a guess that these are the people that are more unhappy with their schools than those who had the "pick of the litter..."

Take a look at the DMU vs KCOM thread for discussion ad nauseum on this topic... Congrats on your acceptances and good luck in the future.
Thanks djnels01. Great points! I've factored in the majority of them into my spreadsheets. I do have a gut feeling about a school, but don't want to influence anyone's advice on this matter.

I am extremely fortunate and thankful to have a decision. That's one of the reasons why I didn't post this in the pre-osteo forum. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks djnels01. Great points! I've factored in the majority of them into my spreadsheets. I do have a gut feeling about a school, but don't want to influence anyone's advice on this matter.

I am extremely fortunate and thankful to have a decision. That's one of the reasons why I didn't post this in the pre-osteo forum. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Had the same choice. Had my interview at NOVA between 2 hurricanes (in one week). Made the choice easy for me. PM me if you have any question. Good luck to you. I hope to see you here at DMU next year.

Had the same choice. Had my interview at NOVA between 2 hurricanes (in one week). Made the choice easy for me. PM me if you have any question. Good luck to you. I hope to see you here at DMU next year.
You've answered many of questions in the past jbone. Though I didn't see you during my interview and kind of sad that I didn't have you as a tour guide, I bet it would have just added to my experience at DMU. Thanks for the well wishes.

Hurricanes aren't a main concern. We've had some pretty bad ones in New England. That's one of the factors that I'm considering though. We'll see, we'll see...

congrats on the acceptances, you can't go wrong with either of the schools. I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago trying to decide btwn the 2 and ended up picking NSU. I honestly liked DMU better but chose NSU for the sunny weather and beaches since I considered the schools equal. My advice would be to decide where you'd like to live for 2 years(they both have their perks) and then also look at the 3rd year rotation sites really well...nsu has some great sites btw:) best of luck with the decision

congrats on the acceptances, you can't go wrong with either of the schools. I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago trying to decide btwn the 2 and ended up picking NSU. I honestly liked DMU better but chose NSU for the sunny weather and beaches since I considered the schools equal. My advice would be to decide where you'd like to live for 2 years(they both have their perks) and then also look at the 3rd year rotation sites really well...nsu has some great sites btw:) best of luck with the decision
Thanks! Weather is something to consider, sunny weather and beaches with hurricanes, vs. cooler weather with the changing seasons. Both attractive in their own ways. :) I've considered those factors in my Word spreadsheet. I'm thinking I'll have to do a coin flip on December 13th. lol.

just recently got back from DMU and went to NSU back in September. I have to say I'm all about DMU now. Both good schools, but DMU has better pass rates and I can actually afford to live there. Plus if I don't want to attend class I don't have to answer to some Dean who thinks since your paying for a medical education you should be forced to attend.

just recently got back from DMU and went to NSU back in September. I have to say I'm all about DMU now. Both good schools, but DMU has better pass rates and I can actually afford to live there. Plus if I don't want to attend class I don't have to answer to some Dean who thinks since your paying for a medical education you should be forced to attend.
I don't think 3% makes that big of a difference, but I may be part of that 3%, so valid point. DMU is more affordable than NSU, but it seems like the 12K that NSU gives for books and supplies is the only major difference. The mandatory attendance is a cause for concern though.

More power to you FizbanZymogen! :)

I chose DMU almost four years ago, and have absolutely no regrets. Yes, I missed FL, but it was the best school for me. Des Moines is a nice, clean town, and we enjoyed living there for two years.

I received a fantastic education, and I am looking forward to a residency in radiology.:D

pm me if you have any specific questions.

Tried spike, but HemOnco was there before me

Congrats on getting acceptances to 4 great schools! If I was in your shoes, I would choose DMU over COMP, NSU and UNECOM. DMU has the most established national reputation, highest board scores, the best match list and the lowest cost of tuition and living out of the 4 schools. It seems like DMU students are very happy there....I never see anyone from DMU complain about their school. You really can't go wrong with any of those schools...the DMU pick is just my personal opinion. Best of luck in your decision.

Congrats on getting acceptances to 4 great schools! If I was in your shoes, I would choose DMU over COMP, NSU and UNECOM. DMU has the most established national reputation, highest board scores, the best match list and the lowest cost of tuition and living out of the 4 schools. It seems like DMU students are very happy there....I never see anyone from DMU complain about their school. You really can't go wrong with any of those schools...the DMU pick is just my personal opinion. Best of luck in your decision.

I would be willing to bet that you are going to get a great education either place that you go. You just need to figure out which school is best for you. I do have to say though, I do love the new OPP Prof that we have here @ NSU that DMU gave us. In the past the OPP dept was given a lot of credit for DMUs high board scores, it seems like Dr. B was a MUCH needed pump into our OPP dept with a new perspective.

;)

I would be willing to bet that you are going to get a great education either place that you go. You just need to figure out which school is best for you. I do have to say though, I do love the new OPP Prof that we have here @ NSU that DMU gave us. In the past the OPP dept was given a lot of credit for DMUs high board scores, it seems like Dr. B was a MUCH needed pump into our OPP dept with a new perspective.

;)

Sure, sure, rub in the fact that you have our Dr. B. Boo, boo, boo :(

Thanks. Unfortunately, DMU does not seem like it will fit my needs. It is a wonderful school though.

Sure, sure, rub in the fact that you have our Dr. B. Boo, boo, boo :(

Nothing to do with you Jammers, but I had someone from DMU who was telling me about how AMAZING their school was last summer...and the only prof this particular person ever mentioned was Dr. B. This person gave Dr. B "god status" and even insinuated that our school was inferior because of our "weaker" OPP dept (even tough I didn't think OPP was weak).

I got a good :laugh: out when Dr. B walked into our OPP lab on the first day of class.

hehe....