DMU weather

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LloydBanks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, here's the down low. I was recently accepted to DMU and I absolutely loved the school. In fact, I couldn't find a single thing bad about it until I started monitoring the weather. It gets below freaking 0 there pretty regularly!!! How do you do it? I've never been in weather that cold before and I'm a little worried that I will end up hating going to school there as a result. Do any of you DMU students have any problems with this?

Members don't see this ad.

LloydBanks said:
Hey guys, here's the down low. I was recently accepted to DMU and I absolutely loved the school. In fact, I couldn't find a single thing bad about it until I started monitoring the weather. It gets below freaking 0 there pretty regularly!!! How do you do it? I've never been in weather that cold before and I'm a little worried that I will end up hating going to school there as a result. Do any of you DMU students have any problems with this?

I'm from New Mexico and attending DMU. The weather is tough, but no worse the chicago, ohio, ny, etc (damn Barry and AZ). As you interviewed, did they take you through the underground tunnels? The entire campus is connected. So, whether you need to be in the AC on the west side of the campus or the medical tower on the east side, you'll stay nice and warm. As far as living in Des Moines, you just kind of get used to it. Granted, this last week has been reallly cold. Believe me, you're inside so much studying, the weather will be the last thing on your mind!

LloydBanks said:

Im actually from Az and have never lived in weather like this before. It gets pretty cold. But the weather right now is abnormally cold. This is cold even for January. This morning it was -6 w/o wind chill. But you are not out very much. Like jonwill said, the whole campus is connected by underground, heated tunnels. You will get a cold atmosphere with almost every school except those two. The other 3 seasons are really nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not much time is spent outside. This is so true. The tunnels are awesome. It is takes some getting use to, but overall it is bearable. Congrats on your acceptants.

jonwill said:
Believe me, you're inside so much studying, the weather will be the last thing on your mind!

Remember, there's more to podiatry school than just studying...there's studying on the beach with girls in bikinis during January too. OK...maybe that's not the case everywhere. :D

scpod said:
Remember, there's more to podiatry school than just studying...there's studying on the beach with girls in bikinis during January too. OK...maybe that's not the case everywhere. :D

A definite plus of the Miami school! AZPOD has plenty of beach (ie sand) and girls in bikinis. Unfortunately, they are lacking in water. I am spending a month at the University of Florida next June:)

You get used to the cold. I am inside studying so much that the only time I go outside is to go to school and to go home. Honestly if ou dress for it , it is not that bad.

Des Moines weather is not that bad. The first year I was there we had sunny weather just about every weekend. There was at least one weekend each month that was just about t-shirt weather all through the winter too. It wasn't that way the other years though, so keep in mind that it will be different every year.

On the other had the spring and fall months are just great. It may get into the 80's most days during the summer but overall the weather there is better than most places I've been.

efs said:
Des Moines weather is not that bad.

It might not be that bad, but it's still really cold to me. According to my internet wether site, the temp in DesMoines right now is 7ºF. The temp in Miami is 72ºF. That a difference of just over ten times. Put another way-- that's a 1000% increase. Put another way-- 7ºF is -14ºC. All I can say is you are a better man than me, because I don't think that I could ever make it in weather like that!

scpod said:
It might not be that bad, but it's still really cold to me. According to my internet wether site, the temp in DesMoines right now is 7ºF. The temp in Miami is 72ºF. That a difference of just over ten times. Put another way-- that's a 1000% increase. Put another way-- 7ºF is -14ºC. All I can say is you are a better man than me, because I don't think that I could ever make it in weather like that!

It keeps snowing! It's snowing right now!

jonwill said:
It keeps snowing! It's snowing right now!

Looks like it will be doing more of the same on Christmas day. According to The Weather Channel there'll be scattered snow showers, with a high of 34 and low of 22. Now, if you want really good "Christmasy" weather, you goota love Miami on Christmas day with a high of 74 and low of 65. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...there's a cold wave comin' :scared:

scpod said:
Looks like it will be doing more of the same on Christmas day. According to The Weather Channel there'll be scattered snow showers, with a high of 34 and low of 22. Now, if you want really good "Christmasy" weather, you goota love Miami on Christmas day with a high of 74 and low of 65. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...there's a cold wave comin' :scared:

That's it, I'm transferring!!!!! :)