Step I DNA mutation review question

Started by DrPettans
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrPettans

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A review question says that a point mutation in the DNA from this: "ATGCAA" to this: "ATGTAA", is a nonsense mutation (that is, a mutation where the new triplet codes for a STOP signal).

The explanation is: The sequence now contains TAA which will be transcribed to UAA in the mRNA.

I get it, UAA is a stop codon, while CAA, is not, and that is a nonsense mutation.

My question is:

how do I know if the stem cells gives me the TEMPLATE strand of DNA (so mRNA will be complementary and antiparallel, and also changing any T for U) or the ANTITEMPLATE strand of DNA (so mRNA would be just the same as the antitemplate, only changing any T for U). In this example, given the answers, it is the antitemplate strand, but how do I know? they don't say it.
 
or maybe as they always write in the 5 to 3 sense, it will always be the antitemplate strand unless they say specifically a different thing?