Dna

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mstoothlady2012

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone already posted this question before and klutzy gave good explanation but I still don't understand. What is the key word we are looking for in order to differentiate between these two questions? Also DNA molecule = double helix of DNA right?

If a strand of DNA underwent four rounds of replication, what percentage of the total DNA present would be comprised of original DNA molecule?

Consider a sample of DNA that undergoes four rounds of replication. What percent of DNA produced contains part of the original-stranded DNA?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I dont know what the difference is. Are these two questions somewhere I could look up and see how the answers differ? Like destroyer, cliffs, kaplan?

Someone already posted this question before and klutzy gave good explanation but I still don't understand. What is the key word we are looking for in order to differentiate between these two questions? Also DNA molecule = double helix of DNA right?

If a strand of DNA underwent four rounds of replication, what percentage of the total DNA present would be comprised of original DNA molecule?

Consider a sample of DNA that undergoes four rounds of replication. What percent of DNA produced contains part of the original-stranded DNA?

Thanks!

OHHH i think i get it!!! is the first one 6.25% and the second one 12.5%???

Members don't see this ad :)
thats what i got too...i did it so a strand of DNA was just 1 strand and replicated that 4 times

l-->ll--> ll ll--->ll ll ll ll--->ll ll ll ll ll ll ll ll 1strand/16 strands=.0625

and for the second one i thought of a sample of DNA as a double stranded molecule and did pretty much the same thing except started with 2 strands and came up with 2strands/32strands= .0625

are these answers right?

haha u guys are quick w/the replies...already so many before i finished typing my post.

the way to do it is like this,
1 replication= 50%
2 replications is = 25%
3 "= 12.5%
4 "= 6.25%

Reactions: 1 user
but the first one asks for what Percentage of the total DNA.

MsToothylady2012 are these questions somewhere we can look up?

I am actually gonna change my answer:

1) 12.5%
2) 6.25%

My reasoning is because the first one asks for total DNA and the second you just divide the total by 2 because it asks for how much contains...

II
II II
II II II II
II II II II II II II II
1/8 is 12.5

and the second one is:
100 --50 -- 25 -- 12.5 -- 6.25

so this is what you are saying??

Thanks!

Ok i think i understand this now let me explain:

when they say the total DNA they mean strand for strand and when they say DNA produced they mean every DNA which consists of 2 strands...so total DNA strand for strand would be out of 32 and DNA produced (every 2 strands) would be 16 because for every 2 strands we have 1 DNA...so basically 2/16= 12.5% and 2/32= 6.25%

So second one should be 12.5% and first should be 6.25%

sorry for the delayed response..

1st one is from kaplan subject test # 5 Q 3 <--- 6.25%
2nd one is from destroyer - # 237 <--- 12.5%

How????????? Every1 gave different answers. only osims got it right but you didn't explain why? klutzy where r u?????? :-(

Ok i think i understand this now let me explain:

when they say the total DNA they mean strand for strand and when they say DNA produced they mean every DNA which consists of 2 strands...so total DNA strand for strand would be out of 32 and DNA produced (every 2 strands) would be 16 because for every 2 strands we have 1 DNA...so basically 2/16= 12.5% and 2/32= 6.25%

So second one should be 12.5% and first should be 6.25%
still dont understand.....

yeah I had them backwards, Dr green explanation is great.

Mstooth, if it has total then they are talking about strands, at least that's how I'm reading it.

check out Dr. green's explanation its pretty nice with drawing and everything!!! haha
yea i can totally answer the question right if it had said something like...

If a DNA molecule underwent 4 round of replication what percent of strands would have the original DNA? 2/32 = 6.25

If a DNA molecule underwent 4 round of replication what percent of DNA contains original DNA? 2/16 = 12.5

But the questions aren't these clear...nowhere in the question it differentiate if we are looking for the # of strands or # of DNA molecule at the end. Only at the beginning of question 1 they use word strand but that doesn't even indicate anything.

yea i can totally answer the question right if it had said something like...

If a DNA molecule underwent 4 round of replication what percent of strands would have the original DNA? 2/32 = 6.25

If a DNA molecule underwent 4 round of replication what percent of DNA contains original DNA? 2/16 = 12.5

But the questions aren't these clear...nowhere in the question it differentiate if we are looking for the # of strands or # of DNA molecule at the end. Only at the beginning of question 1 they use word strand but that doesn't even indicate anything.

i know i find it pretty ridiculous...but wut can we do :scared: