Do 1st ophtha elective at Bascom Palmer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkdlit

Superstar DJ
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm planning on setting up my first ophtho elective next August (2008) at Bascom Palmer. Now, I have no intention on applying there because I stand about one in a thousand chance at matching there. But I want to do it to get a good , "big wig" recommendation for my application.

Given that its my 1st elective though, I'm afraid I won't be able to showcase any special talent in the field of ophtho, and thus, maybe not get the best rec. My question is, should I instead do my 1st elective at a program that I have a better chance at matching, and then do my 2nd one at Bascom Palmer? Thanks all,

Turk.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I'm planning on setting up my first ophtho elective next August (2008) at Bascom Palmer. Now, I have no intention on applying there because I stand about one in a thousand chance at matching there. But I want to do it to get a good , "big wig" recommendation for my application.

Given that its my 1st elective though, I'm afraid I won't be able to showcase any special talent in the field of ophtho, and thus, maybe not get the best rec. My question is, should I instead do my 1st elective at a program that I have a better chance at matching, and then do my 2nd one at Bascom Palmer? Thanks all,

Turk.

Just do a lot of reading before you start the rotation and you should be fine. I think the bigger problem might be doing your 1st ophtho elective in August. Waiting for a LOR might delay your application. It's really to your benefit to submit your CAS as early as possible.

i agree with speyeder.

I will have secured all my ophtho letters BEFORE my 4th year even starts. Sounds a little strange, but I want to have my application in by August, and by the end of a sub-I, it may be too late to get a LOR. Especially since they got rid of the late 4th letter.

I wouldn't go to BPEI with the intention of getting a letter. I'd go there for the experience, and to increase your chance at getting an interview.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with speyeder.

I will have secured all my ophtho letters BEFORE my 4th year even starts. Sounds a little strange, but I want to have my application in by August, and by the end of a sub-I, it may be too late to get a LOR. Especially since they got rid of the late 4th letter.

I wouldn't go to BPEI with the intention of getting a letter. I'd go there for the experience, and to increase your chance at getting an interview.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice speyeder and bolldoc...unfrotunately I won't even have my first elective until August! Its just the way my school is...the admin probably don't even realize the ophtho match is so frickin' early. I'll try my best to get a letter someplace else then, during August, if possible. Not much I can do about it, but I guess my app will just have to be in a bit later than most others (i.e. late september).

Around when do programs get the 1st and 2nd batch of applications?

Thanks again for replying,

Turk.

fyi - the bpei elective is very structured - you will spend two weeks watching videos, reading in the library certain materials, the rest of your time will be spent in the clinics with select physicians. You will get very little face time with them when you are there b/c they are so busy. You will have the opportunity to set up another 2 weeks shadowing a select physician after the first structured two weeks. You will get to do clinics/surgery and conferences with that physician. You are expected to go to grand rounds. Everyone there is super nice. If you do not speak spanish you might have a hard time (not impossible though)- as nearly all patients/staff are spanish speaking. I worked there for several years and also did a fourth year elective there. If you are searching for a letter, this is not the place

fyi - the bpei elective is very structured - you will spend two weeks watching videos, reading in the library certain materials, the rest of your time will be spent in the clinics with select physicians. You will get very little face time with them when you are there b/c they are so busy. You will have the opportunity to set up another 2 weeks shadowing a select physician after the first structured two weeks. You will get to do clinics/surgery and conferences with that physician. You are expected to go to grand rounds. Everyone there is super nice. If you do not speak spanish you might have a hard time (not impossible though)- as nearly all patients/staff are spanish speaking. I worked there for several years and also did a fourth year elective there. If you are searching for a letter, this is not the place

thanks FR, that is very good to know. Based on the advice from this post maybe I would be better off seeking a letter someplace else. Thanks to all of you who replied.

Turk.

I can tell you from being at BPEI as a fellow for 2 years, that it is very hard for outside med students to get a good letter for reasons mentioned above. Your direct contact with attendings is low. Sure if you work there for a year you may match there, you can do a pre-residency fellowship (like in path)
From what I've seen getting in there requires solid credentials and more importantly a great personality.

I can tell you from being at BPEI as a fellow for 2 years, that it is very hard for outside med students to get a good letter for reasons mentioned above. Your direct contact with attendings is low. Sure if you work there for a year you may match there, you can do a pre-residency fellowship (like in path)
From what I've seen getting in there requires solid credentials and more importantly a great personality.

Hey Myopic - can you comment more on the pre-residency path fellowship. Is it difficult to get a spot? What is the match rate for previous fellows? Have you spoken to anyone who did it and what were their comments? Thanks.

Hey Myopic - can you comment more on the pre-residency path fellowship. Is it difficult to get a spot? What is the match rate for previous fellows? Have you spoken to anyone who did it and what were their comments? Thanks.

I know someone who applied and didn't get in. The rumor is that the program is fairly competitive to get into and they only take American grads. I also heard that no one who has gone through the program has ever been accepted to BPEI for residency.

I know someone who applied and didn't get in. The rumor is that the program is fairly competitive to get into and they only take American grads. I also heard that no one who has gone through the program has ever been accepted to BPEI for residency.

I would assume that getting into BPEI would be a long shot. What about other places - do they all match somewhere or what?

It is competitive, but the Path Fellow (2006) matched at BPEI this year. The fellow works closely with the faculty and does some presentations at grand rounds...a great opportunity to make a good impression before interviews.