MD & DO Do 3rd or 4th year letters of recommendation hold more weight for residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubsrul

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About me: I am applying to MD Family Medicine residencies as a DO student. I have several 3rd year letters of recommendation and have 2 FM letters of recommendation from 4th year. I presume all letters will be of equal strength given my level of ability at the time of the rotation.

Question: Should I use the 3rd year IM/Peds/Surgery/Psych, etc. letters or should I pursue a third 4th year family medicine letter of recommendation and use only those? Any strategy would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You’re overthinking it. The letter readers won’t pay any attention to whether it came from 3rd or 4th year. Use the best letters.

Reactions: 1 users
Since applications opened today, use what you have. 2 FM letters is fine.
Exactly OP, delaying your application to get a 3rd FM letter will do far more damage than using "a 3rd year letter" which is par for the course and probably not even a disadvantage at all.