• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

DO acceptance (personal)

walla189

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Sorry to ask this question but even after searches I'm lost.

Undergrad GPA 3.35 Sci 3.5 With modest upward trend.

What would be my chances of getting into DO school?
Looking at PCOM and LECOM, slight dreams of MSUCOM.

Lfribble

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Erie, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'd say your chances are pretty good- have you taken the MCAT? If you have experience and there has been an upward trend I don't see why you wouldn't be competative. Your numbers are not far from mine. Supposedly, the DO schools look at the whole candidate much like DO physicians look at the whole patient. If you don't have it, you'll most likely need experience with a DO as many schools either require or highly recommend a DO letter of recommendation.

walla189

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
I haven't taken the MCAT but am hoping to take it by April, my current program is pretty intense and I'm having trouble finding time to study. But what would be a score I would be looking to get?

About the Ads

kealaq

Child, Adolescent & Adult Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Sorry to ask this question but even after searches I'm lost.

Undergrad GPA 3.35 Sci 3.5 With modest upward trend.
Presently in grad entry RN school hoping to pull off 3.7 GPA.
What would be my chances of getting into DO school?
Looking at PCOM and LECOM, slight dreams of MSUCOM.

First ask yourself, why do you want to go to DO school? Research, what is a DO & how would being a DO be different/better/worse from being a RN health-professional. Have you looked into other medical professions like MD, PA, LNP, PT, OT, SLP, etc & see if they fit your career goals?

Have you researched DO schools, the DO history/philosophy/OMM training, & what they look for in an applicant?

Your science GPA is competitive, but you need to boost your overall GPA to 3.5 and above also. Are you missing any required science classes like g-chem, o-chem, physics, & their labs? Those classes are needed before applying.

The schools look strongly upon your work & volunteer experience & other extracurricular experience. They look at life experience too. Finally, all DO applicants need to take the MCAT, with the national avg for accepted DO students being within the 25-28 range. MCAT numbers will show you how you compare to your competition but ultimately your application, clinical experience, personal statement, letters of recommendation, & interview should make you shine & get you into your medical school. Its an upward battle, but if you really want it... you can achieve it.

walla189

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
I'm missing one O-chem lab and Physics lab, your saying I won't be able to apply before I finish those? I was under the impression I only needed to finish them before classes begin.

Krazykritter

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm missing one O-chem lab and Physics lab, your saying I won't be able to apply before I finish those? I was under the impression I only needed to finish them before classes begin.

While this is true for the most part...OChem & Physics are two of the courses that we generally look at one an application to get an idea how well students handle rigorous sciences classes. I could care less about classes like Genetics & Evolutionary Biology when I am interviewing someone.

OChem forces you to thinking completely differently than you may have in other classes (at least in my experience). Physics is one of those things were you really need to put in the work to do well. Applying & taking the MCAT w/out either of these classes is asinine. You do know that Orgo & Physics make up a large portion of not one, but TWO sections on the MCAT??

You might want to rethink the order of your process b/c if you don't have an understanding of Orgo or Physics before the MCAT then you are pretty much going to be throwing $300 (or whatever it costs to take the MCAT now) out the window. I don't mean to be harsh, but I really do hope you consider some of these things first.

walla189

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
Well I need to apply to your school then, rocked 3.5 orgo, and 4.0 physics, the first ones anyways.......

But thanks for the help guys, this really helps me to commit myself.

122206DO

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2006
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It really depends on where you want to go, obviously DMU, CCOM, PCOM will be very selective. But in general, your GPA stats are good for DO schools. I'd think that you'd get invited for the 2nd round of interview, assuming you get 25+ on your MCAT. Good luck to you!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.