Oct 5, 2013
Status
What are my chances of being accepted?
BS in Business Administration with all prerequisites fufilled.
sGPA-3.0
CGPA- 3.2
Extracurriculars: CNA certification, Surgical tech certification, LPN Licence, RDA- registared dental assistant.
I have not worked long in all these areas volunteers and worked some but I am a full time student.
22 years old
100+ hours of shadow and volunteer havnt taken MCAT yet. But I am concerned about low GPA

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
GPAs are low. You'll need a 28+ MCAT at least. Alternatively, you could take course retakes at any school that offers equal or greater credits for any course <B-. If you could bring up your GPAs to the 3.3-3.4 range, you'll have more leeway on the MCAT.

Jul 22, 2014
retake you lowest marks, do well on mcat, and make sure your entire application (letters, essays, mcat score) are good to go in on June 1st! A broad application to places like cusom and marian, you should be good.

I submitted aacomas in july and that wait for verification killed me.

kelminak

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Take an entire summer out to follow the sn2ed schedule, get a 30+ and you'll be ok for some of the "lower tier" DO schools. Get your GPA up as high as you can as well.

PlaqueBuster

"Perfect" practice makes you perfect
Oct 9, 2014
Polar Vortex Tundra
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I agree wtih the others that you should retake classes that are C+ or lower to boost your science gpa. I have seen others get in to lower tier schools with that GPA with the addition of a high MCAT score and ECs. So continue with shadowing/volunteering if you can, get good LOR, and aim for a 28+ on MCAT and you will get into a medical school.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Concur.

GPAs are low. You'll need a 28+ MCAT at least. Alternatively, you could take course retakes at any school that offers equal or greater credits for any course <B-. If you could bring up your GPAs to the 3.3-3.4 range, you'll have more leeway on the MCAT.

bajastapler

5+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2009
Status
use grade replacement, but realize that adcoms have every right to call you out on retakes and play good cop/bad cop.

If i were you i would approach in a two pronged attack fashion
1) Do NOT leave college. Stay a 5th/6th year in undergrad: utilize grade replacement, take more science courses, and pick up a minor along the way. Emphasize your upward swing in sGPA.Take MCAT and you need a solid score. 30+ (with at least a 10 on bio) imo.

2) If you want to graduate, which I would advise against, or the MCAT does not go well: apply to a post bacc. But remember post baccs are expensive and are by no means a guarantee to get into med school.

food for thought: you only get really 2/3 shots to apply to medical school before you start to hit a point of diminishing returns - in regards to salary, imo. Apply when you know you are peaking in terms of how polished off/competitive your application is.

gl!