Do adcoms call letter writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hazelnutmilktea

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year, I was in my PI's office while he was on a call with a grad school regarding a student he wrote a LOR for, so I'm wondering if med schools do the same thing? All the threads I can find on this are from years ago, and they generally said that occasionally yes, but it is unlikely. I'm wondering if anything has changed since? Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

I have called PDs for students I was endorsing for their respective residencies. These PDs were either former colleagues or residency classmates. However, this has happened exactly twice, and the students were outstanding candidates.

Reactions: 3 users
I have called PDs for students I was endorsing for their respective residencies. These PDs were either former colleagues or residency classmates. However, this has happened exactly twice, and the students were outstanding candidates.
Oh I see, thank you! So the recommender would initiate the conversation in this case, not the school/program?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen, adcoms rarely call letter writers unless they know them in person (from school, work, etc) and want to get the low-down. Otherwise, there isn't much point in doing so as theoretically any information that the letter writer could give is already in the letter itself. I personally have not called up any letter writers, but I also haven't been doing this long.

Reactions: 5 users
From what I've seen, adcoms rarely call letter writers unless they know them in person (from school, work, etc) and want to get the low-down. Otherwise, there isn't much point in doing so as theoretically any information that the letter writer could give is already in the letter itself. I personally have not called up any letter writers, but I also haven't been doing this long.
Thank you so much for your help, I understand now :)

Oh I see, thank you! So the recommender would initiate the conversation in this case, not the school/program?
Usually that would be the case. I have never had a PD I knew contact me because I wrote a letter, but I'm sure itmight happen, although I would suspect it would be a rare occurrence.

Reactions: 2 users