Medical Do Adcoms Have Higher Expectations for Extracurriculars for Applicants Who Have Taken Gap Years or Post-Baccs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As an applicant with no gap year, I was curious how my extracurriculars will stack up against other applicants who have taken more time. I have about 120 hours of clinical volunteering, 250 hours non-clinical volunteering, and 40 hours shadowing, while a lot of others who have taken a year or two after graduating have logged sometimes over 1000 hours volunteering. Will adcoms take into consideration the fact that I've had less time to accrue those hours?
No, nor would they had you planned to graduate in three years due to massive AP credits. Each school (and each adcomm) has their own expectations, which don't vary with the age or educational status of the applicant.
-120 of clinical experience is below the average of ~150. (At least one school requires/recommends 400-500.)
-250 hours of nonmedical community service is well above average.
-40 shadowing hours is low, with about 50 being the average.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for such a fast response! So if it's primarily my clinical and shadowing hours that are a little below standard, would taking a gap year to increase those hours significantly improve my application? Here's more of my info:
White Male, MD Resident
Neuroscience major, T10 school
cGPA and sGPA: 3.99
MCAT Scores: 525 (131,132,131,131)
Research: NanoBioTechnology Lab (1050 Hours), 3rd author on 2 publications (1 of which is still in press)
Clinical Research Assistant doing file review - 40 hours
Clinical volunteering: 100 hours as Trauma Operating Room volunteer, 20 hours as Children's Center Volunteer
Physician Shadowing: 30 hours Neurology, 10 hours GI
Non-clinical Volunteering: Crisis Text Line Crisis Counselor (250 hours)
Extracurricular Activities:
Neuroscience TA for 1 Years (120 Hours)
Campus Tour Guide for 3 years (100 Hours)
Employment History: SAT Math Instructor for 1 years (130 hours)
Hobbies: Played tennis for entire life, USTA Men's 4.5 League for the last 3 summers (180 hours)

I am planning on entering this cycle but I would love to know your opinion on if taking a gap year will significantly improve my chances. Here is my school list for reference. Thank you so much!

School list:
Harvard
Hopkins
Stanford
UPenn
UCSF
Columbia
UCLA
WashU
Cornell
NYU
University of Washington - Seattle
Duke
Yale
UChicago
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Mount Sinai
Northwestern
UCSD
UNC
Emory
UVA
Oregon Health and Science University
UC Davis
USC
UMD
UC Irvine
Hawaii
University of Arizona
UC Riverside
Can't you get in another 10 shadowing hours (primary care doc would be nice to see) and 30 clinical hours before you submit? At least you'd be in the average pool then.

Now that you've listed all your ECs and I can see the Top schools you're targeting, I must comment that I don't see a substantive leadership role mentioned. Many highly-selective schools have language in their mission statement that states they aim to train future leaders in medicine, and they will want to see that potential through your activities. Certainly, you should get in somewhere as you are. But you've got the stats and research to aim for T-10 schools. Are you ambitious enough to wait another year to apply so you can beef up your activities?

Further, you need to spend some time with your MSAR and review which state schools take few OOS or Out of Region so you can appropriately prune your list. Or, you can post it in WAMC Forum for the Chancers to help you further.

I do plan to try to get in the shadowing and clinical hours before submitting to reach that threshold. As far as the leadership, here I listed them under "extracurriculars" to be more general but in my work/activities section, I talk about TAing/teaching SAT classes as leadership, as well as being the Vice President of my Club Frisbee team which I thought I had listed above but I must have forgotten.

1) So do you think it is fair to say that at the moment, the T-10 schools are possible but more of a reach, and taking an extra year would give me a substantially better shot at them?

2) I have my hopes set on California schools, but I am well aware that they strongly prefer in-state applicants.
1) Yes, that's how I'd put it. WashU, at least, should love you now, being more attracted by stats than ECs.

2) I'm glad you are realistic. But CA will still love your Secondary fee donations, as will University of Washington, whose OOSers are MD/PhD students.

Status
Not open for further replies.