Do adcoms often contact employers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coldchemist

Biowulf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it standard procedure for admissions commitees to contact an applicant's employers/recommenders?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was applying for the U of Michigan MSTP, they actually sent a letter to my PI. But I don't know what the nature of letter and if my PI responded or not... Anyone who applied to Michigan???

Hmm. Apparently, my PI spoke with someone at an MSTP today...I have yet to find out what was discussed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by coldchemist
Is it standard procedure for admissions commitees to contact an applicant's employers/recommenders?

dunno about "standard," but mine were phoned.

Well, I found out what the phone call was all about. It looks like I may have been screwed out of my top choice school. Apparently it was the director of the program calling. He had some concerns that I might be more clinically oriented, and that I wouldn't be interested in basic research. My boss kind of agreed with him. DAMMIT! I've told my boss like 500 times that I want to do bench science within a medical context. Now he tells me it sounded like they are going to reject me. I emailed the associate director to see if there is anyway to fix this situation, but I just don't know...

Originally posted by coldchemist
Well, I found out what the phone call was all about. It looks like I may have been screwed out of my top choice school. Apparently it was the director of the program calling. He had some concerns that I might be more clinically oriented, and that I wouldn't be interested in basic research. My boss kind of agreed with him. DAMMIT! I've told my boss like 500 times that I want to do bench science within a medical context. Now he tells me it sounded like they are going to reject me. I emailed the associate director to see if there is anyway to fix this situation, but I just don't know...

how about having your boss call the director back and straighten out the whole thing??? it's not too late yet, right?

For some reason he doesn't seem to like that idea too much. I'm trying to convince him anyway. The Associate Director of the program has assured me that he will explain the situation to the adcom...so we'll see what happens.