1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

DO after D-School?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by kancerian2005, Nov 15, 2005.

1. kancerian2005

kancerian2005 New Member

I would appreciate some responses from those who have braved the DO application process successfully: I got kicked out of a dental school in US for failing a couple of dental courses after 3 semesters. I take full responsibility for the outcome and see it as a learning opportunity more than a failure. In any case, i enjoyed patient interaction quite a bit and am still considering the idea of medicine (I did ok in sci courses while at d-school) and wondering if the failure is going to close all doors? I have a 3.4 sci/3.8 overall GPA, solid healthcare work experience and can get good recos (although not from my dental school). Also what's a good MCAT score in these circumstances? I doubt with the time I have for the april exam I will be able to crack north of 25...
    Anyway, best of luck and many thanks in advance to y'll.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kevbot

Kevbot Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You had better "crack north of 25" if you want to stand a chance of against other applicants. I do have a classmate who failed graduate school classes (grad mathematics) and she was able to get accepted. With your GPA I would aim 27+ and have a good explanation for your failed courses. Also you will need to explain why you didn't choose medicine in the first place. In my opinion, taking responsibility for failing those classes is a good sentiment, but it doesn't explain why you failed or prove that you won't fail in the future.

4. Kevbot

Kevbot Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Also, i dont mean to say that you shouldnt apply. You definitely should. Just be prepared to explain everything to admissions when the time comes.

5. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    What makes you think med school is going to be easier?

This may be a question admissions committees will ask you, since it sure came to my mind immediately.