Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

do all pod programs start in the fall

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by justtesting, Dec 8, 2008.

1. justtesting

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    just wondering if there are any programs that start in the spring?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. allenmarchallo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I believe NY has the 5-year pod. program which starts in the spring....

4. JEWmongous

JEWmongous Member
    10+ Year Member

NY's unique program is 4.5 years in length and begins in January. The tuition is pro-rated. All the 4 year programs start in the summer or early September.

5. justtesting

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    as an honest question, what is unique about new york's program besides the length?

6. JEWmongous

JEWmongous Member
    10+ Year Member

I meant unique in the sense that over programs don't have something similar. From my understanding, with the 5 year programs at other schools, you are paying for the full 5 years. With NYCPM's, you pay the same tuition as the 4th years (but add in additional living expenses).

Students who are changing careers/have to finish additional pre-reqs/want a more "relaxed" basic sciences will most likely benefit from this program (IMO). You start off the program by taking 2 medical school classes (neuro and anatomy I believe) so it definitely is an easier start to podiatric medical school. With NYCPM itself, the school benefits by having the tuition of an extra 30 or so students a year.

Overall, this pathway sounds legit, especially compared to what NYCPM used to have available/promote (some odd pathway where you could get a DPM from NYCPM and a MD from a little known carribean medical school). It sounded awfully fishy overall.