Do AMCs usually ask for call stipends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know they are able to poach contracts by offering to cover anesthesia services at less cost to hospital.

Do they even ask for anything for the in house call?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the arrangement. I know one of the original (and dreadful) USAP groups received a ridiculous stipend to hold the code pager overnight.

We (traditional PP) get a healthy stipend for overnight call but we have high-risk OB and level 1 trauma. Many other service lines (trauma surg, CCM, neurosurg off the top of my head) also receive a stipend to stay in house, so we don’t lose any sleep over it. Plus we cover codes throughout the complex.

Don’t be scared of the word “stipend” - make it worth your time to be there, especially overnight. This isn’t residency anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Just pondering the odds of ever losing our contract to a “cheaper” alternative, as we do receive compensation for in-house call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Just pondering the odds of ever losing our contract to a “cheaper” alternative, as we do receive compensation for in-house call.

If you were an AMC would you tell the C-suite ‘we need no stipend’ in order to get the contract, knowing fully you will need a stipend within a year or two when the dust settles?

The money comes from somewhere. Direct Stipend...Payor contracting-Which the hospital is not agnostic about...Better billing...lower HR overhead...Lower salaries and benefits for the anesthesiologists and CRNAs...Less service...More CRNA intensive model. I would suspect that they sniff around all of these when making a pitch.

Well that seems disingenuous.

They wouldn't have the reputation they have if it were otherwise. You honestly expect them to come in and say 'Wow, that stipend really isn't bad. We just can't beat that....'? Of course not. You're not safe, from a stipend standpoint, unless you don't have one. And you may be working your tail off to have no stipend. And even then if you aren't providing a good service, or being a good 'partner' to the hospital you still may not be safe.