DO and Academia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catsfordays

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently heard that as a DO you are limited in regards to Academic Medicine? I would imagine there is a need at DO medical schools. Is there a possibility that one can teach at an MD school as well? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you mean by "academia" as academic medicine is an extremely broad term

Reactions: 1 users
There are many DOs that currently teach in large public universities. Google is your friend.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I have recently heard that as a DO you are limited in regards to Academic Medicine? I would imagine there is a need at DO medical schools. Is there a possibility that one can teach at an MD school as well? Thank you.

I’m at a big allopathic school. Lots of my favorite faculty are DOs; some even in competitive specialties!

The head of NASA’s Medical team is ex DMU faculty.

Reactions: 2 users
I turned down a university faculty position where I did my residency, accepted a university faculty position where I did my fellowship, then accepted another faculty position within the same university system. Now teach at a COM.
You can do it, just commit yourself to be excellent in all ways. There wasnt any less DO bias when I was training than today. Probably more. There is less DO bias today but with more opportunities. The problem is there are so many more applicants, so more spots are available for DOs, but there is more competition for them.

Reactions: 2 users
Once you finish residency, where you went to med school doesn’t matter. However, where you do residency does matter—you’re more likely to go into academics if you go to a university program vs a community program. Still possible to go into academics from a community program but you’ll have to work harder to develop the contacts.

Out of my residency class (MD Emergency Medicine program), 2 US MDs, 1 IMG, and 1 DO went into academic medicine.

Reactions: 1 users