DO and allo orthopedic residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how difficult it is to match into a competitive program as a DO into an allo residency? Does research and a strong step 1 score help outweigh the DO bias? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Um, not really because all the MD students that apply for ortho have those same qualifications. A buddy that I rotated with during auditions just matched U Florida.

Last year, I think there were two DOs that matched MD ortho.

Its pretty f'ing tough, but not impossible. Plus, its really hard to give up DO acceptances for the chance of a possibly MD match.

I've heard of a DO student matching into the Mayo program. Is this something feasible with an away rotation at a good program as well as research during your 4th year? Or is research at DO school during 4th year unheard of?

Also, does it really matter if you match at the best DO ortho programs compared to the allo programs? I'm not sure about the quality or disparity between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard of a DO student matching into the Mayo program. Is this something feasible with an away rotation at a good program as well as research during your 4th year? Or is research at DO school during 4th year unheard of?

Also, does it really matter if you match at the best DO ortho programs compared to the allo programs? I'm not sure about the quality or disparity between the two.

you have to do your own research on each of the programs and decide for yourself what you want in the program. There is a current DO resident at Mayo, and on that just graduated and he was the chief resident. I've spoken to him and he's just a great down to earth guy. There are DO residents in other allo ortho residencies as well, you just have to look for them and talk to them. Obviously your best bet is DO, but it just depends on what you want and what your scores are, you have to take the USMLE if you want to even be considered, and do as well or better than the average applicants, greater than a 240 as a DO would be probably ideal.

I'd say that getting into an MD ortho residency is much much harder than getting into a DO ortho residency (as a DO applicant, obviously), hands down. BUT, it is possible...and it looks like many more DOs landed MD ortho spots this year.

In my opinion, the keys to a successful DO to MD ortho match are:
1) Do very well on USMLE Step I
2) Do very well on COMLEX Step I/II (take it early)...I think this helps
3) Have a high class rank
4) Have at least some research experience, publications are better
5) Befriend as many attendings/residents as you can so they can go to bat for you.
6) Apply very broadly (I'd say >60 programs)
7) Get some high powered letters of recs
8) Most importantly, ROTATE at the programs that have taken DOs or are open to taking DOs...and do very well on your rotation.

It can be done, I think more and more DO applicants are taking the risk. But then again, it's hard to give up a sweet "pre-match" DO spot to risk it all for an MD ortho spot...and for what reason.