DO and MD applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.iz-n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you simultaneously apply to MD and DO programs? Wouldn't that maximize your chances for getting into medical school? (i.e., more applications and choices). However, taking into the different philosophies, which calls for different personal statements, is it possible to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

This can and has been done, but you do have to put in a bit of extra work to do it successfully. Twice as much work and a LOR from a DO, to be more precise. If you're willing to do the work, and pay the individual attention to each application, and are serious about both programs, I would say go for it.

I did just that this year... 20 allo and 8 osteo schools in my apps. It was a lot of work but you should have already been thinking about your PSs by now if you're applying for this cycle. I went through a few months of writing and editing the PS for both apps. (Yes, they actually read the PS!)

It's a good idea to be happy and comfortable with going to a DO school... shadow a DO for ~3 months/~4-6 hr per week and get a letter from him/her. It will give you insight into the differences (often not discernable unless you go with one who uses OMM in their practice) as well as provide you with a letter from someone who knows you reasonably well for the applications. I think all but 1 school wanted a DO letter (and ALL preferred them over MD).

Depending on your applicant profile, including a range of schools for AMCAS and adding on fair amount of AACOMAS schools will maximize your chances of getting in SOMEWHERE this time around.

Warning: you will be doing a lot of writing for secondaries and you should return them within 2-3 weeks, so keep that in mind when you look at how many you apply to-- I often had to do 5 or 6 in the same week and lost a lot of sleep making sure they were all carefully written and tailored to each school.

And a disclaimer: $$$$$$!!!! I made a spreadsheet of costs for applying to all the schools before I actually did and almost passed out-- include AMCAS fees, AACOMAS fees, plus all the secondary fees (range from about $40 to $200 each depending on the school). This might help you eliminate some of the "fat chance" schools and maybe some of the "ew, I'd rather clean out a bedpan" schools. And also remember that's just the beginning-- interviewing is pricey.

If this was rambling and random, PM me with specific questions you have. I threw everything at it this time (incl. the kitchen sink) and got the luxury of choosing which school I wanted to go to instead of begging for one acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both schools. 34 MD schools 3 DO schools. No MD acceptances. One DO acceptance. It is barely any extra work (all you have to do is fill out the online DO application thing). I was happy I did so since I'm in NYCOM now.

i applied to both, it worked really well I got my MD school app turned in first and then a month later my DO so that way when secondaries started arriving the were staggered a little bit. I applied to 3 MD schools and 2 DO schools. No interviews at MD's. Two interviews at DOs, one alternate list at DMU and an acceptance at WVSOM where I will be starting in the fall. I am really glad i applied to both and am really happy with the DO path.

totally do-able.

I had a low MCAT (25) coming into interview season so I applied to a DO school here in Texas. I still got an interview from them even before my new score (31) came out. I ended up getting in there as well as an allo school and decided that the dual degree they were offering at the allo school made it the right choice for me.

I'd say if you're not the most competitive applicant you should brush up on your DO knowledge and go talk to a few of them. Take that info and apply to a couple DO schools and see where it takes you.

Ask yourself why you want to be in medicine, what drives you to pursue it and what you expect to get out of it. Then do your research on Osteopathic medicine. It will serve you well to know what you are applying for. Many students apply to DO schools as a fallback to not getting into MD schools and then suffer for 4 years because it's not what they thought it would be. I also think there are many MDs that, had they known more about Osteopathy, would have gone the DO route. I did my research and found that Osteopathy was exactly what I wanted and decided to not stress myself out applying to MD schools (different types of interviews, different types of applications, more money lost). As a result...i love my school and what they have to offer! I knew exactly what I wanted and let them know it in my interview. If you know yourself and are truly honest and sincere (with both the school and yourself), you will end up at the right school for you. Either direction will hand you a degree, it's up to you to decide what to do with it! Good luck in applying and if you have any more questions about DO or my school, let me know. Oh...I'm at the school that would allow only MD LORs. The experience you had with your doctor far outweighs the initials (in my opinion! ;-) )
God Bless!

kellkitten, which school is that?