DO and USMLE Step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heeed!

On target, On time!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can an osteopathic student take USMLE Step II without having taken Step I?

Members don't see this ad.

Heeed! said:
Can an osteopathic student take USMLE Step II without having taken Step I?
I'm pretty sure that info will be on the usmle website. ;)

scrupulous79 said:
yes you can...i did it last year

Scrupulous79 - I assume you're applying/have applied to allopathic rads programs. For those programs that require USMLE scores in addition to the COMLEX, were they satisfied with only a step II score?

Members don't see this ad :)
i matched into allo rads last year...i only took step 2....and someone else who i know also matched into allo rads and i believe they only took step 2 also...

i think the best thing to for you to do is to take step 1 (unless you're late into you're third year and its more practical for you to focus on step2) because its what they use to compare other allopathic applicants to eachother....and they may just be like i see your step 2 but what happened to your step 1....

Thanks for the reply. I am at the end of my third year, and so taking step one is not really an option at this point. I'll have to get in touch with some specific programs and see if step 2 is permissible. What time of year did you take the exam?