DO Anesthiology Residency

Started by JMM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JMM

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys What's Up? I'm a 3rd year osteopathic student and I'm really interested in doing an Anesthesiology Residency. I really don't know the difference b/w a MD and a DO Anesthiology residency. What would be the Pros and Cons of a DO residency? Should I just shoot for a MD residency? Need some advice. Thanks.

Oh yeah! I was looking at the DO residencies at Riverside County Regional Medical Center in California and at POH in Pontiac, Michigan.
 
I'm a DO currently at Yale and I'm originally from Los Angeles. I had the same questions as you when I was trying to make the big decisions.

At the time that I was applying, Riverside was a very new program. I didn't feel comfortable going to a place that has no information to give you about the percentage of their graduating residents that can pass boards(written and oral)....that is a big concern. If you can't pass your specialty boards you could lose whatever private practice job you may be working at. I wanted a program that had a track record. I haven't followed what has happened with the program since that time, but now they may be able to provide you with this information when you interview. Even so, it's not easy being at a program that is relatively new...all the big people in charge are still in flux trying to aim for making a good program and working out the kinks in the program. I wanted a program with a proven record and experience having taught residents and could show definitively that their residents are competent at the end of training.

I also felt that most of the hospitals where the osteopathic anesthesia programs were not at huge tertiary centers. In order to really see everything and complicated cases during residency you need to be a big center.

The other thing to consider is where you ultimately want to practice when you're done. I found on the west coast, Riverside did not have a great reputation out in the community...it had very little reputation because it is not known among the practicing physicians...is this what you want your final training to be on your CV?

I'm not sure about Pontiac because I didn't want to live in Michigan so it wasn't a strong option for me. I wanted to return to the west coast and quite frankly the reputation of allopathic residencies will take you farther when applying for jobs than the reputation of a lesser known osteopathic one. Don't forget osteopaths are discriminated against more on the west coast because people don't know what we are. Primary care physicians do ok, but when it comes to subspecialties it's not viewed the same.

In the end, for myself, I decided it was more worthwhile to opt for an allopathic residency. I think it's been a good decision.