DO applicant in UCSD/UCSF/NYC programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FLpk1girl86

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any advice about these and if they are into DO's .... does taking USMLE step 1 and possibly step 2 help for programs who are not known to take DOs or would that just be a waste of time?


I want to go to a great program but don't have any clue where to begin!

Btw I only picked those three because I want to live near a big city and love California, open to any suggestions!
 
Any advice about these and if they are into DO's .... does taking USMLE step 1 and possibly step 2 help for programs who are not known to take DOs or would that just be a waste of time?


I want to go to a great program but don't have any clue where to begin!

Btw I only picked those three because I want to live near a big city and love California, open to any suggestions!

USMLE 1 is not optional.

USMLE 2 will help if your USMLE 1 is borderline and if your USMLE 2 is substantively higher.

UCSF, Stanford, and San Mateo generally do not take DO's. I don't know much about CPMC, but I would suspect that they do not either. Competition for Bay Area residency slots is simply too fierce for these programs to bother screening DO applicants.

In southern California, as a DO you will likely not have much luck at UCLA, UCI, or UCSD. I don't know much about the other programs.
 
USMLE 1 is not optional.

USMLE 2 will help if your USMLE 1 is borderline and if your USMLE 2 is substantively higher.

UCSF, Stanford, and San Mateo generally do not take DO's. I don't know much about CPMC, but I would suspect that they do not either. Competition for Bay Area residency slots is simply too fierce for these programs to bother screening DO applicants.

In southern California, as a DO you will likely not have much luck at UCLA, UCI, or UCSD. I don't know much about the other programs.

perfect, thank you