DO applying for Allopathic Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emlopez2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am currently an MS I student at an Osteopathic medical school. In the future I am planning on taking the USMLE and applying to an Allopathic residency within Colorado. Would a DO have a chance at an Allopathic surgery position or are they usually biased towards MD students?

Members don't see this ad.

Biased toward MD students

If you're limiting yourself to allopathic General Surgery residencies in Colorado only, you're going to have a tough time. Why not apply widely?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the comments. Im definately not putting all my eggs in one basket applying just to Colorado. As of right now its just my number one choice, being raised there and all. Unfortunately they only offer allopathic surgery residency at 2 places and not a single osteopathic residency. I just needed to know for sure if I even stand a chance at a spot regardless of how well Im doing at a DO school.

I just needed to know for sure if I even stand a chance at a spot regardless of how well Im doing at a DO school.

Surgery seems to be one of the last areas that DOs are having a tough time breaking in to in the allopathic community. With that said, I have several friends who have graduated and gone on to general surgery spots in most of the major places in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and New York. Also know someone at UMASS.

Also, dont rule out Osteopathic general surgery spots. Luckily there are many very strong DO Surgical Residencies available...probably the strongest graduate education opportunities in the osteopathic community are surgical.

Good luck.

Expect an uphill battle. Colorado surgery programs are fairly competitive, and a lot of highly qualified allopathic surgery applicants aren't even getting interviews there much less matching there, and as previous posters said, there is still a bias against DOs in surgery.

Definitely apply, but have a good backup plan