emlopez2

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello. I am currently an MS I student at an Osteopathic medical school. In the future I am planning on taking the USMLE and applying to an Allopathic residency within Colorado. Would a DO have a chance at an Allopathic surgery position or are they usually biased towards MD students?

B

Blade28

If you're limiting yourself to allopathic General Surgery residencies in Colorado only, you're going to have a tough time. Why not apply widely?

About the Ads

emlopez2

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for the comments. Im definately not putting all my eggs in one basket applying just to Colorado. As of right now its just my number one choice, being raised there and all. Unfortunately they only offer allopathic surgery residency at 2 places and not a single osteopathic residency. I just needed to know for sure if I even stand a chance at a spot regardless of how well Im doing at a DO school.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I just needed to know for sure if I even stand a chance at a spot regardless of how well Im doing at a DO school.

Surgery seems to be one of the last areas that DOs are having a tough time breaking in to in the allopathic community. With that said, I have several friends who have graduated and gone on to general surgery spots in most of the major places in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and New York. Also know someone at UMASS.

Also, dont rule out Osteopathic general surgery spots. Luckily there are many very strong DO Surgical Residencies available...probably the strongest graduate education opportunities in the osteopathic community are surgical.

Good luck.

Bitsy3221

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
The Hub
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Expect an uphill battle. Colorado surgery programs are fairly competitive, and a lot of highly qualified allopathic surgery applicants aren't even getting interviews there much less matching there, and as previous posters said, there is still a bias against DOs in surgery.

Definitely apply, but have a good backup plan

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.