DO branch campuses being shady

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueLion

Reaction score
After going through this long application cycle as well as becoming a regular viewer on sdn since last summer, I've noticed something kinda shady that most DO schools with branch campuses do.

The schools with branch campuses mostly all say that applying to one location doesn't affect your chances at another location and even have separate application fees for each of their campuses. If this were really true, I would not have a problem with paying.

However, it seems like alot of schools do indeed keep track of which branch you interview at and in turn, "toss" away your app for others even though you paid separate fees for each. Here are some examples I have found from either personal experience or meticulous sdn searching.

PCOM: requires app fee for all 3 locations and will claim to the death that chances at one place is independent of the others. What they fail to mention is that this seems true only for the GA and SoGA locations. There are tons of ppl getting interviews to both. However, there wasnt a single person on sdn this year, last year or any year to date that got an II to GA and PA.

LECOM: also requires app fee for all locations. Then proceeds to ask on their secondary which campus you'd prefer which I presume would put your app either further on one and lower on the others. I got an II at my preference and got ghosted by the others. Then why did I pay for all three?

TOURO: has a flat $200 secondary fee and asks if you want to be considered for either Harlem, Middletown or both. Again, no one in history seems to have interviewed at both.

This is mostly a rant but I think it's rather disingenuous and misleading to present the image that every campus will look at your app equally independent, and require separate fees when the posts on sdn spanning the past few years dont add up. Maybe I'm just being a rogue sleuth trying to figure out and expose what goes on in admissions and should best just stay quiet. My only proof lies in my personal experience and reading sdn posts but if anyone else wants to chime in feel free. This could help future applicants not waste their time and money as they will think applying to every branch will increase their chances when really, they are probably just wasting money. Just something that's been on my mind the entire cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not saying I'm not skeptical, I'm just saying if you take their claim at face value it's hard to say they're lying. I imagine the probability of someone applying to a set of any three schools and getting an interview at all 3 is low. Most schools generally have some level of in-state preference. I don't know how this statement applies to these particular schools.

It makes sense that someone from Georgia might apply and get an II at both Georgia campuses because the odds are just higher for them. But then not get an interview invite at the Pennsylvania campus because they're out of state there. Same goes for LECOM or Touro. Each school needs to have their own admissions committee at their own campus because logistics so it makes sense to consider the applications independently as well. They would also need separate admissions fees to compensate for needing to do this at each campus.

We don't have any evidence that someone hasn't gotten an interview at all three of a schools campuses, it's just that nobody has posted on SDN about it. The probability of that happening is just very low, combined with the probability of them posting on SDN about it. We have no way of knowing how many premeds actually use SDN. SDN has a small number of extremely high activity users, and a high number of transient forum users. 75% of the traffic to this site comes from searches and not direct navigation so people who are not actively posting.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
After going through this long application cycle as well as becoming a regular viewer on sdn since last summer, I've noticed something kinda shady that most DO schools with branch campuses do.

The schools with branch campuses mostly all say that applying to one location doesn't affect your chances at another location and even have separate application fees for each of their campuses. If this were really true, I would not have a problem with paying.

However, it seems like alot of schools do indeed keep track of which branch you interview at and in turn, "toss" away your app for others even though you paid separate fees for each. Here are some examples I have found from either personal experience or meticulous sdn searching.

PCOM: requires app fee for all 3 locations and will claim to the death that chances at one place is independent of the others. What they fail to mention is that this seems true only for the GA and SoGA locations. There are tons of ppl getting interviews to both. However, there wasnt a single person on sdn this year, last year or any year to date that got an II to GA and PA.

LECOM: also requires app fee for all locations. Then proceeds to ask on their secondary which campus you'd prefer which I presume would put your app either further on one and lower on the others. I got an II at my preference and got ghosted by the others. Then why did I pay for all three?

TOURO: has a flat $200 secondary fee and asks if you want to be considered for either Harlem, Middletown or both. Again, no one in history seems to have interviewed at both.

This is mostly a rant but I think it's rather disingenuous and misleading to present the image that every campus will look at your app equally independent, and require separate fees when the posts on sdn spanning the past few years dont add up. Maybe I'm just being a rogue sleuth trying to figure out and expose what goes on in admissions and should best just stay quiet. My only proof lies in my personal experience and reading sdn posts but if anyone else wants to chime in feel free. This could help future applicants not waste their time and money as they will think applying to every branch will increase their chances when really, they are probably just wasting money. Just something that's been on my mind the entire cycle.
Sampling bias, much?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're looking at this in the wrong light; sure you apply to all three or two or however many branches there are. One bites, and gives you an interview. You go, you interview, you suck. Usually, each branch operates on the same systems so their admissions stuff is still connected. Now, If I am a different branch campus, and I pull your file for an interview, find out that you suck, I am much less likely to give you an interview.