Do Carib schools pay their Rotation faculty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the reason why D.O. schools are exploding at such a fast rate is because they are big time money makers (no surprise there).. the secret is that in the 3rd and 4th yrs, the hospitals that they rotate their students through are staffed by physicians that are unpaid and volunteer their time for the sake of teaching med students. however, M.D. schools in the states pay the staff of the 3rd and 4th yr rotation hospitals to teach their incoming med students. I went to an open house for a D.O. school and they even admitted do this..

not to say paying faculty makes the teaching better, but I was just wondering, do the carib schools pay their faculty for the rotation years?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no Idea why volunteering would make money for the Hospitals or the schools? What does that have to do with it? In fact I have never heard of such a thing, is this real? Yes Caribbean Schools pay for rotations and pay for Malpractice for the students. How do you figure DO is exploding? There are way more MD schools? (Not to bash mind you) Most of the US Medical schools MD or DO are not set up to make lots of money also? I'm really confused about this thought, maybe someone who knows can explain? My Caribbean school for example is a nonprofit..........................................

I have no Idea why volunteering would make money for the Hospitals or the schools? What does that have to do with it? In fact I have never heard of such a thing, is this real? Yes Caribbean Schools pay for rotations and pay for Malpractice for the students. How do you figure DO is exploding? There are way more MD schools? (Not to bash mind you) Most of the US Medical schools MD or DO are not set up to make lots of money also? I'm really confused about this thought, maybe someone who knows can explain? My Caribbean school for example is a nonprofit..........................................

they make money because they still charge students tuition for those 3rd and 4th years. MD schools in the states who charge 3rd and 4th years still have to incur the cost of paying for their rotation sites. DO schools set up agreements with their sites to volunteer their teaching to the students-- i guess for the simple fact of gaining prestige as a "teaching" hospital, although they do not have a financial agreement with the DO school.

I brought up many of these issues at various open houses.. i obviously did not want to bring them up in interviews, because that would have looked like i was bringing in a negative air into the room. by no means do i think that the teaching is insufficient at these locations, but i always made it a point to bring it up because rotation years mean a lot to me.

they make money because they still charge students tuition for those 3rd and 4th years. MD schools in the states who charge 3rd and 4th years still have to incur the cost of paying for their rotation sites. DO schools set up agreements with their sites to volunteer their teaching to the students-- i guess for the simple fact of gaining prestige as a "teaching" hospital, although they do not have a financial agreement with the DO school.

I brought up many of these issues at various open houses.. i obviously did not want to bring them up in interviews, because that would have looked like i was bringing in a negative air into the room. by no means do i think that the teaching is insufficient at these locations, but i always made it a point to bring it up because rotation years mean a lot to me.
Well the funny thing is Caribbean rotations must be done at Hospitals with residencies and US schools do not have to do this. SO some DO schools have rotations where there is not a teaching hospital. I know of a few.

That is bad for the students because a facility set up for teaching is a way better place to learn then the non teaching hospitals.