1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

DO Derm

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by (nicedream), Apr 13, 2004.

1. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

I know research is generally considered a prereq to landing allo derm residencies. Is this true for the DO derm residencies as well?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. VentdependenT

VentdependenT You didnt build thaT
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The guy who matched at osteo derm in my class published a couple of papers and did research. He also rotated at about 4 derm places (research included). No matter how you cut it you'll be needing research no matter which route you go.

We also had a guy go to Cleveland Clinic for derm last year or year before. You have to be stellar to swing allo derm, but it does happen.

4. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

This is really going to show my ignorance on the topic here, but heck I'm still an undergrad. What exactly does this research usually consist of? Is it assisting with research or initiating your own? The reason I ask is, I've never been a big research guy. I'm willing to put in the work, but I don't know anything about it. Does it require a lot of lab-based knowledge and a unique set of skills?

5. mcataz

mcataz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Vent

Is derm sort of a pipe dream in the osteopathic realm? I thought you can't match in osteo derm, or is there some program that includes a prelim year? Was the person in your class in the top 5% of the class with a 95% comlex? Or was he an above average student that got in with networking and research? Was this guy some genius? I heard that doing research as early as possible is beneficial to matching derm so do you think I should look into any derm research positions prior to starting school? Or would that be a waste of time?

6. VentdependenT

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think it is difficult but by no means impossible. As a DO its ALL about networking and doing research. Rotate at as many programs as possible, force your school to allow you to do this. Call programs early in your third year to set up a string of derm rotations in your late 3rd yr/early 4th year. Fortunately, for serious applicants, not many people go for derm because it is such a friggen hastle. Extremely disorganized system.

Not sure of rank (probably top 25%), but I'm sure he had over 90% on COMLEX. He found a program which was linked to intern year (palm beach florida). It might be the only one.

I don't know if starting research prior to matriculation would be helpful. Go for it if you have convincing reasons for persuing this field so early on.

7. tripleJ

tripleJ Member
    7+ Year Member

Are you sure this person did not match in Family medicine at this program?

8. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

There are two DO derm programs in West Palm, Columbia and Wellington. I'm 95% sure that neither has a linked program.

9. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

Can anyone help me with this? :oops:

10. VentdependenT

Fellow [Any Field]
    The linked thing might be under the table (as are many agreements in the GME osteopathic world). I suggest you call and find out if you have a vested interest. The info you have gleaned off the net is probably outdated. These programs tend to be so small that most of their dealings is word of mouth and through personal interaction. No need to advertise their positions.

NOT family practice. Linked derm.

11. tripleJ

tripleJ Member
    7+ Year Member

are you sure? Check your own match list. Could this be a "do a few years of FM at our program and we'll see" type of deal?

12. florida

florida Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm a 4th yr NSU student, and I met a couple of family residents who were finishing their residencies with the hope of matching into derm programs that "promised" them spots. My good friend was derm all the way (had the rank, boards, research) called up every DO derm program and every one said you must complete at least an AOA intership first, then match. He still did three or four rotations but no one could guanrentee anything. So he matched to one of the handful of officially linked DO ortho programs instead. A girl in our class says she matched derm in Philly, but when called on it had to admit she only matched for a traditional rotating internship with the "promise" that she will get that contract next year. Incidently, she did cores at West Palm and was also made "promises". Maybe she will get derm in Philly, she is an impressive candidate and deserves it. But everything I've ever heard is there are no linked derm programs.

The PDs of the fam med/ or rotating interships use the possibility of matching derm to fill these programs. You can't really blame them, usually these residencies don't fill. I had a PD of a DO intership (at a hospital owned by a MD university) try and get me to commit to his intership with the promise of MD anesthesia (even to the point of contracts for both internship and anesthesia offered, and me being told I would not be ranked at the MD program- I could only sign both DO intership and MD anesthesia contracts, thus not go through the NRMP). The reality is the world of DO residencies is shady. I said no thanks because anesthesia isn't that hard to match, but derm is a different story.

Go into getting a DO derm residencies with eyes wide open and believe no one.

13. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

Wow :(
    Why is this the case?

14. mcataz

mcataz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

TripleJ

What was your experience like getting derm. I recall you did 2 years of medicine first. Is it rare that most people don't match for derm after only one year of internship?

Also, I did check the match list for 2004 at AZCOM and the person is listed only as a family practice resident. There is no listing of derm in the PGY2 spot next to their PGY1 year slot. I have read many of Vent's posts and we have a colleauge in common so I can vouch for the guy. He wouldn't just throw out information or make something up to save face like some people are known for. At the same time, TripleJ's may be on to something. Maybe the guy was promised a derm spot and told everyone that he matched with derm with prelim year. Or maybe derm programs are prohibited from grating 4th years a derm spot with a prelim year due to AOA regulations, so the the best they can do is verbally promise candidates positions under the table?

That is kind of scary about derm. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty with the position. Anyway, I suppose we will know after next year if the person got into derm.