DO derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unc12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the osteopathic derm programs. Which ones are linked, if any? What are the typical board scores for attaining a position? How many elective rotations in derm should I do?

Thanks alot. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

:) I'm not sure about the specifics you asked about but you could call the PD's at Wellington regional in FLA just outside of West Palm and they might be able to help you better. There is also a school at UHHS University Hospital Health Systems I believe) in Cleveland, OH. I'm not sure which campus it is there though.

This is a good question too, I've tried like hell to find out more information, specifically, how competitive is O-derm to get into? Is it as competitive as allopathic derm programs? Anyone there, or know? What kind of stats must one acheive, Comlex scores, letters, research, class rank? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I score in the 97% on COMLEX with one derm pub...i hope that will help me get a spot.

Hey Unc, are you also taking USMLE? Your scores and publication will surely help, are you planning to do some derm electives too? Good luck to you.

I took the USMLE but I feel that I'll have a better chance to match osteopathically. I am doing at least two derm rotations...one at the Cleveland Clinic and one in Florida.

Is research more or less required? I have very good boards and excellent grades (work well with others also) but no research, and not much chance of getting any.

I'm interested in doing some derm research (because it seems like a must) but I don't know where to start. I have some time between my first and second year but I'm not sure where to do it or with whom.

What are some of the classical research topics in dermatology?

I attend COMP but I imagine that USC or UCLA has more research opportunities. Would they be receptive to a DO student doing research with their faculty?

Does anyone know of any other institutions, foundations, etc. that have research opportunities?

Hey Idiopathic,

Are you planning to go Derm then? I'd say your in good shape, well in regard to your board scores both USMLE and COMLEX, which i've seen posted before. I bet that a research project would nearly sinch the deal for you...along with some letters from elective rotations in Derm.

So did you also rock the MCAT too? Curious, thanks.

For those going into derm, how many derm electives are you doing. I was thinking at least two.

Idiopathic said:
Is research more or less required? I have very good boards and excellent grades (work well with others also) but no research, and not much chance of getting any.

Idiopathic

How you go from being an aspiring neurosurgeon to a dermatologist in a manner of 6 months.

novacek88 said:
Idiopathic

How you go from being an aspiring neurosurgeon to a dermatologist in a manner of 6 months.

out of curiosity, how many osteopathic derm spots are there compared to allopathic derm spots and are the osteopathic derm graduates able to pratice anywhere in the states/have the same capabilities as the allopathic graduates?

Yogi Bear said:
out of curiosity, how many osteopathic derm spots are there compared to allopathic derm spots and are the osteopathic derm graduates able to pratice anywhere in the states/have the same capabilities as the allopathic graduates?
As of several years ago I think there were about 20-30 first years slots for DO derm,compared to ~260 for Allopathic derm.
Graduates of DO derm programs are trained in much the same fashion as allopathic programs.The osteopathic board derm certification is recognized by insurance plans and state licensing boards to my knowledege,there is no real difference in what they do.Several DOs are prominent in derm circles and are featured speakers at conferences for allopathic dermatologists.Entry to DO Derm is also highly competitie and contatcs/networking is very helpful.

novacek88 said:
Idiopathic

I am 50% dreamer (neuro, derm, etc.) and 50% a little more realists (Gas, Rads, etc.)

Many needs to fill for me...

Yogi Bear said:

yes to the second part. quite possibly to the first part, as i have heard of 8(?) new spots opening up next year. anyone else hear about this?

Idiopathic said:

Yeah, for osteo derm, I heard research is practically a requirement since factors other than grades and board scores really do play a role in getting a spot. With osteo derm, networking and research play nearly as big of a role as grades and board scores. At AZCOM, one of the guys who nailed a derm spot was not even in the top 10% of his class. This is not put this student down or imply he didn't have other factors going for him. It's just an example of how the osteopathic derm selection process does weigh other factors. But I must add, the student got a combined family practice/derm spot which is 6 years so it's not like the traditional 4 year derm residency seen in allopathic programs too. Many top DO students would rather avoid this lengthy process to complete a derm residency.

novacek88 said:
Yeah, for osteo derm, I heard research is practically a requirement since factors other than grades and board scores really do play a role in getting a spot. With osteo derm, networking and research play nearly as big of a role as grades and board scores. At AZCOM, one of the guys who nailed a derm spot was not even in the top 10% of his class. This is not put this student down or imply he didn't have other factors going for him. It's just an example of how the osteopathic derm selection process does weigh other factors. But I must add, the student got a combined family practice/derm spot which is 6 years so it's not like the traditional 4 year derm residency seen in allopathic programs too. Many top DO students would rather avoid this lengthy process to complete a derm residency.
I thought that AZCOM student matched in allopathic derm...

superflyDO said:
I thought that AZCOM student matched in allopathic derm...

There were two students. One matched at Cleveland Clinic and another matched in a combined osteo family/derm in Florida