Do/Did you place implants in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Msmouth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(inspired by the laser question)

Members don't see this ad.

(inspired by the laser question)

At Houston, we do not place implants as of now. However, we do restore implants in the clinic, although guidelines only allow 1 implant per quadrant PER student to be restored (and no implants side by side) due to the arrangement with the implant manufacturer.

I believe that about a quarter to a third of the students get to restore an implant, simply due to the fact that by the time it osseointegrates, half of a year is gone and you can't start until all other emergency, hygeine and prosth. treatments are finished.

Yes, we do implant cases. We (students) must identify a potential implant patient, take impressions/make casts, pano xray and relevant PAs of the site(s), do a complete medical history, and present our findings to an implant committee that meets every other week. They then decide if the treatment plan is acceptable. From there, faculty works with us on the surgical guide and we assist residents during the surgery. From there, we do all the impressions, and crown fabrication. I don't think we have a limit of how many we can do, but the amount of work kind of limits itself to 3-5 cases over the 2 year clinical period.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, we do implant cases. We (students) must identify a potential implant patient, take impressions/make casts, pano xray and relevant PAs of the site(s), do a complete medical history, and present our findings to an implant committee that meets every other week. They then decide if the treatment plan is acceptable. From there, faculty works with us on the surgical guide and we assist residents during the surgery. From there, we do all the impressions, and crown fabrication. I don't think we have a limit of how many we can do, but the amount of work kind of limits itself to 3-5 cases over the 2 year clinical period.

So I'm understanding that you don't actually get to place an implant?

So I'm understanding that you don't actually get to place an implant?
Sounds like he/she just restores them. A lot of time you will be the restorative dentist and paper runner for the implant cases.

Sounds like he/she just restores them. A lot of time you will be the restorative dentist and paper runner for the implant cases.
In a dental school of course.

That's right. We don't physically lay a flap, hold the handpiece, and drive the implant to place. Although that may be possible if you are in the Perio or OS honors program during 4th year.

In our 2nd year we got to place implants into a plastic model.

During our 4th year there is an option selective for the top performers where they place about 20 implants.

But you aren't placing implants; we to get to do all of those things, but we really aren't actually placing them.

Some students at our school get the opportunity to actually place them, but it isn't the norm. Depending on who you work with and if you have assisted on a couple before they will sometimes let you place one. Most students just end up assisting and then restoring them though. I would say if you really set it as a goal to place them you could probably make it happen.

At our medical college, students handle dental implants patients under the guidance of senior dentist assigned to them, by thus the patients get proper treatment where as students learn practically. :)

Last edited:
At San Antonio, they pretty much encourage everyone to plan and restore (but not place) as many implants as they want, and around 10 or so (I didn't count so this could be wrong) of the people that apply get to take a selective where they place several implants as a senior.

I have never placed an implant, but plan on doing it in the future after taking more implant related CE.