Do doctors wear makeup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My statement applies to both genders. Don't take it personally.
I'm not. I usually don't even wake up early enough to do it because sleep > everything. But I never quite understood that argument. The only thing that has ever kept me from wearing makeup was because of how "unnatural" it is. Like "stranger, don't notice my sparkly eyelids pleaase".

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not. I usually don't even wake up early enough to do it because sleep > everything. But I never quite understood that argument. The only thing that has ever kept me from wearing makeup was because of how "unnatural" it is. Like "stranger, don't notice my sparkly eyelids pleaase".

How much extra time does it take to slap on some BB cream post-moisturizer/face-washing?

How much extra time does it take to slap on some BB cream post-moisturizer/face-washing?

It hardly takes any time at all. But it also makes very little perceptible difference, so it's like . . . why bother? It's just one more unnecessary thing to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh well that is different... I can't really even wear it because of my skin type. :/

Girls that wear makeup:barf:

Who cares what other people think? Do what you want to be a clean, professional human being.

Can doctors wear gel polish?

I didn't read the whole thread

If you don't see lady docs wearing make up it's usually because they're just too darn busy and exhausted or not the type to wear make up.

Yes lady docs do wear make up.

In fact, some wear WAYYYY too much.

Others just aren't wearing much.

I personally put on some concealer for the circles and blemishes then maybe a bit of blush so I don't look as washed out from 0 hours of sun in my life. I don't do well with mascara (I need to be able to cry at any moment that is the nature of me being a resident) but that and lipstick is typically what fashion advisors will tell you to always have on when you leave the house. I put on some chapstick to deal with the chronic dehydration because if I'm lucky all I drink is coffee, maybe a touch of lipstick nothing crazy.

A lot of the ob/gyn ladies I saw had the lash extensions so they could roll out of bed in the morning (as they need to do) put on scrubs and still feel like they looked like a lady. A girly bunch in my experience.

Reactions: 1 users
I hate makeup because if I wear it too much then I'll depend on it. I can't even walk around my house without my eyebrows filled in and I live for a slight cat eye, I could wear it everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm totally going to wear make-up as a doctor. As long as it doesn't interfere with your job or your patients why should anyone care?

I work with a ton of lady doctors and the majority of them definitely have on mascara and eyeliner. Then there are a few with foundation and light powder ya know. However these are OB/GYNS and I see them when they are ready for delivery. When I visit them in clinic the overwhelming majority have on makeup and its noticeable but in a good way. I personally love make-up and I wear a full face to work everyday. I keep it as natural as possible, but I love the idea of doing my make-up every morning. Until the day I'm too damn busy to apply it comes I will continue to wear it. I personally think its just fine for a doctor to wear make-up. I wear it because it makes me feel good. Do what you like and screw what everyone else thinks! Thats my two cents!

Reactions: 2 users
99.9%of women you see are wearing make up.
This.
It's sweet that he thinks a woman doesn't need makeup to be beautiful, but man you're deluded if you think that the majority of women aged 18-40 aren't wearing at least one piece of makeup daily. Even BB cream, come on. It's a statistical fact. We don't look so bright-eyed, dewy-skinned, and pink-lipped just by birth. It's unfortunate that you think women who wear makeup are :yuck:, but we don't wear it for your approval so.... :eyebrow:

Reactions: 3 users
This.
It's sweet that he thinks a woman doesn't need makeup to be beautiful, but man you're deluded if you think that the majority of women aged 18-40 aren't wearing at least one piece of makeup daily. Even BB cream, come on. It's a statistical fact. We don't look so bright-eyed, dewy-skinned, and pink-lipped just by birth. It's unfortunate that you think women who wear makeup are :yuck:, but we don't wear it for your approval so.... :eyebrow:
Tell us how you really feel...

Ortho resident. Sephora if my f******favorite store. Full makeup everyday. Falsies sometimes too.
Sephora is amazing but holy cow can it eat my paycheck away. Good thing you're going into ortho, pretty much the only wa to afford regular trips there.

To op, it will depend on wear you end up. Some places expect you to wear dress clothes and most of the female doctors will be in make up and maybe do their hair. Other places maybe no one wears make up. The important things to pay attention to are facility policy and infection control (generally you aren't suppose to wear strong perfume or fake nails) and other than that just try to look professional. Also depending on what kind of PPE you wear mos often you might want to adjust your make up routne accordingly.

If you are good at doing your make up and don't try to look like you're going clubbing you should be fine. Somewhat heavy make up can still look professional, as can red lipstick and some more complex eye make up, just know what works for you and be reasonable, follow the normal "rules" for make up (don't do dramatic lip color and eyes at the same time during the day, only emphasize one area, etc.) I'd avoid extreme smoky eye make up or blue eye shadow, or anything too shimmery.

Where work our doctor is usually weaing a dress or skirt with heals and make up including eye make up. Not super over the top dramatic night on the town make up, but a little more than the "natural look." She does look on the "glamorous" side but also looks professional, which is probably the most important part ater infection control.

How would you know?

Because I personally know a bunch of women who don't wear makeup every day. Are me and most of my friends all 1 in 1000? How would you know it's 99.9%?

Because I personally know a bunch of women who don't wear makeup every day. Are me and most of my friends all 1 in 1000? How would you know it's 99.9%?
Whelp, ok. But ten cents says there's at least concealer or mascara somewhere in everyone there.

wear make up if you want to, don't wear it if you don't want to as long as you look presentable. why is this a big deal lol

Reactions: 3 users
Whelp, ok. But ten cents says there's at least concealer or mascara somewhere in everyone there.

I saw one study that showed 67% of women ages 18-25 used 0-3 products in their hair and beauty routine....if I were to expand to all ages I'd probably say around 60% of women use some kind of beauty product, but this could also include something as simple as lip balm.

I also don't understand why this subject is bringing up so much heat. Women shouldn't be shamed for wearing makeup nor praised for it. It is what it is. People should be empowered for what makes them feel good. If putting on some bb cream to cover your blemishes makes you feel better, more power to you! On the other hand, if you just don't like make up and don't want to wear it, more power to you too! There is no right and wrong to this.

Now for a professional setting, it's just as many others have said. Follow the work policy with regards to outward appearance, and stay away from bright colors....it really is that simple.

I personally love makeup, as I'm into fashion and beauty in general, and wear a minimal amount in my daily routine (mascara and brow pencil). My skin is pretty clear, so I forego any kind of foundation. I have a friend who does break out and feels more comfortable putting base make up on, and that's not a bad thing. One of my other friends made a passive aggressive comment toward me when I showed her the results of a makeup tutorial I had watched, saying she doesn't wear makeup because she "doesn't need it." That's fine if you don't want to wear makeup, but don't knock anyone else down if they choose to.

People don't "need" to style their hair or "need" to put on trendy clothes or "need" to wear any kind of jewelry or accessories...but if someone wants to, why do you care?

^I don't think a single person in this thread has seriously said that it's wrong to wear makeup. But it has been said that it's unprofessional to not wear makeup.

Most days I never wear even a tiny bit of makeup. I wore very minimal makeup to my interviews, but it's really more of a special occasion thing. Some women just don't care about wearing makeup and it's fine. I'll bet you would not ever notice.

^I don't think a single person in this thread has seriously said that it's wrong to wear makeup. But it has been said that it's unprofessional to not wear makeup.

I was addressing the comment that said that if a man notices a woman's makeup, it's too much makeup, implying that it's wrong. So wearing a lipstick other than your natural lip shade must be a crime against humanity...

I don't agree that it's unprofessional to not wear makeup. It's unprofessional to look unprofessional, and that's not limited to what's on your face. Unkempt/greasy hair, wrinkled clothing, foul breath, etc are also unprofessional.

I wonder if the title thread, "Do doctors wear jewelry?" would have garnered the same responses....because to me this should have been maybe a 5-6 comment response MAX lol.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread is giving me angina.

In all seriousness, med school/residency/medicine is not a marine outpost in Baghdad or base camp on Everest. Of course doctors wear makeup. As do Wall Street financial people who work just as many hours but manage to do so in a power suit and heels, so let's all calm down.

Every woman's makeup/skincare regimen differs. Some people are good with some moisturizer and a little tinted BB cream and lip gloss. Others (like me) need to go the full primer/foundation/highlighter/eyelid primer/eyeshadow/liner/mascara/setting spray to get that polished professional look just right. If anyone seriously needs to be told that clubbing makeup is inappropriate for a professional setting, I would ask them to go stand in the corner with those who feel that showing up having just rolled out of bed is appropriate. Do what you need to do to present a polished, professional appearance.

(I'm a surgical fellow who did gen surg at an old school program in the Northeast, just to be clear)

Reactions: 7 users
I was addressing the comment that said that if a man notices a woman's makeup, it's too much makeup, implying that it's wrong. So wearing a lipstick other than your natural lip shade must be a crime against humanity...

Yo, whoa. How do you jump straight from "too much makeup" to "a crime against humanity?" Can't "too much makeup" just simply be "more makeup than should be worn in a professional setting?"

Yo, whoa. How do you jump straight from "too much makeup" to "a crime against humanity?" Can't "too much makeup" just simply be "more makeup than should be worn in a professional setting?"
I think they were speaking facetiously.

I wasn't saying that it was a crime against humanity to wear too much makeup. I was addressing the fact that if the makeup is not completely the same shade as one's natural skin it must be too much, which is what that poster was implying. (The crime against humanity thing was satire...). If someone can just NOTICE makeup? I think men are more perceptive than most people think when it comes to makeup.... Noticing makeup isn't exclusive to seeing bright red lipstick or blue eyeshadow. Is noticing mascara more than should be worn for a professional setting? Is noticing a little blush more than should be worn for a professional setting? Nude lipstick? Eyebrows filled in? The list goes on and on. People can notice makeup that's light, does it mean it's unprofessional or inappropriate? Of course not.

That is why I said what I said.

Last edited:
I wasn't saying that it was a crime against humanity to wear too much makeup. I was addressing the fact that if the makeup is not completely the same shade as one's natural skin it must be too much, which is what that poster was implying. (The crime against humanity thing was satire...). If someone can just NOTICE makeup? I think men are more perceptive than most people think when it comes to makeup.... Noticing makeup isn't exclusive to seeing bright red lipstick or blue eyeshadow. Is noticing mascara more than should be worn for a professional setting? Is noticing a little blush more than should be worn for a professional setting? Nude lipstick? Eyebrows filled in? The list goes on and on. People can notice makeup that's light, does it mean it's unprofessional or inappropriate? Of course not.

TLDR

In honor of this thread, I just bought a bunch of stuff at Sephora to maintain my VIB status. Thanks for the motivation, kids!

Reactions: 4 users
"If men can notice your make up, you are wearing too much" is about as good as a heuristic as "whomever smelt it dealt it".

Plenty of men appreciate the effort that makeup takes, even though I understand the fact that women don't wear makeup for others.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm not sure where the line is between professional makeup and nonprofessional makeup, but once the makeup starts getting really obvious, that's probably too much. Either because there's just too much caked on so that everyone can plainly see the "natural" makeup or because the colors aren't subtle. Who knows where men start noticing it? Different men probably notice different things, but I'm guessing that most of them won't notice unless it's very obvious. I don't think a lot of people actually go around closely scrutinizing the fine details of each other's faces, so light makeup isn't going to jump out at people and make them notice.

I'm not sure where the line is between professional makeup and nonprofessional makeup, but once the makeup starts getting really obvious, that's probably too much. Either because there's just too much caked on so that everyone can plainly see the "natural" makeup or because the colors aren't subtle. Who knows where men start noticing it? Different men probably notice different things, but I'm guessing that most of them won't notice unless it's very obvious. I don't think a lot of people actually go around closely scrutinizing the fine details of each other's faces, so light makeup isn't going to jump out at people and make them notice.

I don't understand what we're even disagreeing on? I took the word notice to even mean the lightest amount, which people can notice, and is unfair to label that as being too much. Again, people can have their own opinion on what too much means, from just simple foundation and eye makeup to about to go to the club look.

Even as someone who wears makeup most days, I have gone days where I did not wear makeup and the next day that I did, the people in my life (which include men), noticed the difference, as subtle as it was. Most women that I know forego a few days a year makeup free for whatever reason, so people can tell the difference. Men notice more than you think!

Basically, I stand by what I originally said. So long as you are following the dress code conduct at your place of work and are going for more subtle, neutral colors, makeup is fine. I don't care if someone notices that I am wearing mascara, I'm not going to go and take it off because they might think it's unprofessional.

Reactions: 1 user