Do doctors wear suits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lost in Translation

単純な馬鹿でありたい。
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never see them do... If anything, just a button up shirt. Is it looked down upon?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In practice all the doctors I've shadowed have worn suits. Usually with a white coat on in the hospital/scrubs if in the OR.

Reactions: 1 users
This is what doctors usually wear from my understanding.

Dr-Kelso-scrubs-43467_524_626.jpg

scrubs-20080813023513234.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some do. Depends on where they work, what their position is, etc. If they're on the administrative side, they'll almost certainly wear suits to work.

What's up with all these threads about docs doing or not doing stuff.

I mean, do they poop? Cause I've never actually seen one do!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
I never see them do... If anything, just a button up shirt. Is it looked down upon?
private practice usually has doctors wearing more professionally; however, not so quite. The other day, I went to a clinic that was is a satellite for an academic hospital that is privately owned and to my surprise the PA was more dressed as a doctor and the doctor was dressed as a nurse. Haha...I had a hiccup when I realized but you strut your confidence nevertheless because I still knew who was who in that situation since that knowledge speaks bounds and leaps. Anyhow, most of the doctors I meet at my academic hospital have well dressed physicians (usually dress of women and shirt and pants for men). Usually the busier (late shifts) professionals wear scrubs...I gather they are attending and fellows staying in late hours and probably too tired to give in to the dress code stuff.

One thing I always notice of course is morning shift is always more professionally alert.

@Lost in Translation - let me help you resolve this:

doctors are normal people with the same behaviors, desires, and thoughts as others.

Some wear makeup, some don't.

Some wear suits (and some employers require it), some don't.

Some drive luxury cars, some beat up old Prius' and others commute by bicycle.

Some are married, some are divorced, some are never married and for some, "its complicated".

Some are nice, some are not.

In general, anything you could imagine someone doing/being, you can find physicians who do it/wear it/think it etc.

Reactions: 22 users

doctors are normal people with the same behaviors, desires, and thoughts as others.

Some are married, some are divorced, some are never married and for some, "its complicated".

In general, anything you could imagine someone doing/being, you can find physicians who do it/wear it/think it etc.

My imagination is now running wild with all the things they can do and wear

Reactions: 7 users
When I did my general surgery rotation at the affiliated community hospital, all of the attendings wore suits to clinic (and would change when it was time to go to the OR). That's the only time outside of presentations or other more formal events outside of clinical duties that I've seen attendings wear suits regularly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember being a brand noobie in the ER and saw the surgical attending came in with her dress and red bottom Christian. Life goals.

I've shadowed docs who wore suits to work. Depending on where they are working, they wear whatever the hell they want as long as it's professional attire.

Mayo Clinic doctors all wear suits

Reactions: 2 users
I have seen many doctors in suits. A medical oncologist I shadowed for awhile just loved his suits.

Do surgeons wear suits or dresses while operating as well???? Every physician I've seen wears scrubs, w/ the exception of the family doc and dermatologist.

"Doctors! They're just like US!"

Im referencing us weekly, FYI.

Indeed. Docs are people... Shocking, I know...

Reactions: 1 users
At my hospital, it's scrubs in OR (and inpt when you're feeling lazy), business casual or suits for clinic/outpt, and def formal suits for mtgs or anything where you're trying to get money from the board...

I love wearing suits, so I sure as hell will be.

Actually, on that subject, what do residents wear to work...? Is it any different than as an attending?

From what I understand (and I can't believe this parody thread actually has some discussion value) the attending can determine what the dress code is. I've heard from some med students that one of their attendings makes people wear a button up shirt, tie, and blazer/sport coat or else he'll send you home.

Why you copying me OP.

I'll just wear scrubs. all the time. with makeup to look professional.

From what I understand (and I can't believe this parody thread actually has some discussion value) the attending can determine what the dress code is. I've heard from some med students that one of their attendings makes people wear a button up shirt, tie, and blazer/sport coat or else he'll send you home.

I send home any student wearing jeans. It used to happen a couple times each block, but I guess my reputation precedes me now.